VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just installed a new WAP device as I have a couple of wireless notebooks and a Samsung Tablet that needed to be connected.

My old router was a Netgear FVS318G VPN router, wired only.

I found out later it has a WAN side bandwidth limitation of around 10MB even though the WAN port is a 10/100Mb port. By reading the Netgear forums many users found the same thing.

Speedtest.net always gave me about a 15 ~ 16 Mb down and about a 5 ~ 6 Mb up, didn't really think this was too bad on my Comcast 25Mb account until I connected up my new Asus RT-AC68U WAP.

Now Speedtest shows a 55 ~ 56 Mb downstream and 11 ~ 12 Mb upstream.

Now I realize the new router has a dual-core CPU in it but I really didn't think the CPU and the updated Asus-WRT OS would make that much of a difference.

I have not changed anything on the Comcast side of things other then this router, still have the same Arris VOIP/Data modem attached too.

Anybody else see increases like this by just swapping out their router ?

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1 of 3, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to swap out my good 'ol WRT54G when I upgraded my service from 8 to 40Mbps about two or three years ago, even with the stock Linksys firmware and almost everything turned off I was barely seeing half the available throughput. Getting a newer router allowed me to take full advantage of my connection.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 2 of 3, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember those 316/318 boxes - they were pretty slick kit when they were new (which I want to say was like early 2000s), but the WAN side is cramped relative to what most ISPs can deliver these days (but remember, (affordable) >10Mbit ISPs are a relatively new thing). If memory serves they will do their internal 5x100 or 8x100 or whatever all day without buckling, whereas a lot of cheaper consumer routers tend to fall off if you want all ports driven all at once (which is admittedly a kind of rare scenario, but if you're streaming video on your internal network and have multiple users on the web and so on, it isn't impossible).

Reply 3 of 3, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
133MHz wrote:

I had to swap out my good 'ol WRT54G when I upgraded my service from 8 to 40Mbps about two or three years ago, even with the stock Linksys firmware and almost everything turned off I was barely seeing half the available throughput. Getting a newer router allowed me to take full advantage of my connection.

Did you use WLAN or LAN? On my WRT54GL I can use my 32 Mbit connection to the fullest when on ethernet. As far as wireless goes the old 11g standard is quite limiting, which isn't the fault of the router itself or the firmware though...