VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by agardk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I just had to rebuild my system and have gotten DOSBox re-installed with issue. I also have the initial .conf file set with my mounts as it should be. My issue is that I have a couple of different applications that I would like to create shortcuts for by utilizing dedicated .conf files for each. I have created the individual conf files and test each and they work as expected. My issue is with the syntax needed to call the individual conf files from the shortcuts. I've tried it a few different ways but apparently am not doing it correctly.

Right now the default shortcut calls "I:\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -userconf"

What is the proper syntax to start DOSBox using i:\DOSBox-XXX.conf ?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

After - userconf add the path to the conf file.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sorry, use -conf instead of -userconf. I always confuse them.

Explanation: -userconf means that the default config file will be used first and only then the config you point to with "-conf path-to-config". The way Dosbox works is that the configs *stack*. So with "-userconf" the first config in the stack is the default one, then you *place* the next one with the "-conf path-to-config" and then you can stack another one with "-conf path-to-another-config" and so on. The top configs overrule the bottom config except for the [autoexec] section, this one gets appended. What this means is that you need to place only those settings in your special config you load with -conf that are different to the default file.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ha ha