VOGONS

First post, by DarkSamus993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to extract the graphics from Mega Man X, but I have no idea what program can open FRS, BLS, and SCS.
It appears that all the sprites are in the FRS format, while all the levels are in BLS/SCS format.
I've already managed to extract the music from the XMI files, and converted them to MIDI (not that you'd want to listen to its unpleasantness).
I've scoured the internet looking for answers, but I'm just at a loss as to what can possibly open these file formats.

Also, are there any graphics ripping/extracting utilities for DOS that might be able to help?

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You have to come up with your own tools. Many old games used self developed containers and graphic files which could only be viewed by their own tools.
With a lot of debugging and decompilation you might figure things out and be able to write your own viewer or plugin for a viewer.
That's how we did it for Exult, Pentagram etc...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 2, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Talk to Malvineous and he may add it to his awesome level editor/modding tool that supports quite a few games already. The tool is called Camoto, it's open source and he is actively developing it. If he can reverse the proprietary formats and there's a possibility to edit levels then I don't see why this game shouldn't be a part of Camoto.

Link: http://www.shikadi.net/camoto/