Common searches

Donkey.NET

Topic actions

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to see if I can get this old Microsoft "game" working on my XP SP3 rig, due to a bad case of morbid curiosity (being a demo of VB.NET/Revolution3D from 2002, and a tribute to DONKEY.BAS). The installer is attached here, which I guess should be okay, since it used to be freely downloadable from Microsoft's website for years.

Web archive link with info is here: http://web.archive.org/web/20050115140152/htt … &displaylang=en

Launching the game makes it crash with this error:

EventType clr20r3, P1 donkeynet.exe, P2 1.0.0.0, P3 3b43fb0d, P4 donkeynet, P5 1.0.0.0, P6 3b43fb0d, P7 7e, P8 b, P9 system.missingmethodexception, P10 NIL.

The requirements, from the readme:

Donkey.NET requires DirectX 8.0, which may be obtained from http://www.microsoft.com/directx. […]
Show full quote

Donkey.NET requires DirectX 8.0, which may be obtained from
http://www.microsoft.com/directx.

Donkey.NET requires Visual Studio.NET and the .NET Framework (Beta 2), which
may be obtained from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/nextgen/beta.asp.

- DirectX 8.0: check.
- .NET Framework: check (v2.0 is the earliest installed).
- Visual Studio .NET: ....nope, I don't have this, nor are any of these ancient versions obtainable nowadays.

I cannot be sure whether my problem is the .NET framework version, lack of VS.NET, or both. The error message makes it obvious that my system is missing a certain library. Question is, are there any tricks to determine more specifically what I might need, and is there still a way to obtain those missing pieces... or perhaps a compatibility tweak to make it work with their modern counterparts.

Attachments

• Filename
    DonkeySetup.zip
    File size
    4.7 MiB
    Downloads
    131 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Various ancient flavors of the .NET framework (I guess in this case you would need 1.x) are most certainly still available. I know this because there seems to be a constant stream of obnoxious security updates for them.

Is it listed in your Add/Remove Programs control panel?

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is .NET 1.0 and .NET 1.1.

I'm at work so can't check but I believe I had to do something with the installer to get it to run on Vista+.

Reason I needed it was my last job the ADP app they used needed one of those versions to run so I was able to move their app from a Windows 2000 server to 2008R2.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you recompile it, it will display the splash screen, but then hangs when it tries to launch the main form, so it is not because you do not have VS.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to assemblyinfo it's a .net 1.0 app.

Looks like .net 1.0 cannot install on Windows 8.1 (installs on 2008R2 with the launch condition modification tho)

Attached .NET 1.0 with modified installer.

Does not include:
1.0 SP3
NDP1.0sp3-KB928367-X86-Enu
NDP1.0sp3-KB947739-X86-Enu

Fault bucket 1979503, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: donkeynet.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 3b43fb0d
P4: DonkeyNET
P5: 1.0.0.0
P6: 3b43fb0d
P7: 7e
P8: b
P9: System.MissingMethodException
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE1F7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_donkeynet.exe_3096bee328ab17476ae963844c0bbc6fe6b4b4_00000000_2303e533

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 7e8670ec-c02c-11e3-82a1-fcf8ae47cf33
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: a62f372f6a549373252bb3c4c85ccbab

Attachments

• Filename
    report.txt
    File size
    7.41 KiB
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    dotnetfx.zip
    File size
    19.81 MiB
    Downloads
    94 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jorpho, DosFreak:

I wasn't able to install .NET 1.0 - both the MS installer and the modified one complain about being incompatible with a previously installed version (I have 5 later versions on my system, from v2.0 SP2 to v4 Extended).
Uninstalling those versions would be a last resort, since I've got a whole house of cards that depends on them. Question is whether or not v1.0 would do the trick by itself, since the last post above includes a similar error report (unsure what that refers to).

collector:

What did you use to recompile it? I did try importing the solution into VB 2008 Express, and it converted fine but refused to build (failed with 30+ errors... IIRC most of them were about unresolved Revolution3D dependencies - it couldn't find the reference to that lib even though all paths, etc. appeared to be correct).

Would it be a good idea to try this on a VM, keeping in mind that Windows 2000/XP and directX 8.0 are required?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 6 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Couldn't hurt to use a VM. On any new image I build I start out with the lowest .NET first and then go up.

I received the same previously installed error message on 8.1 and my 1.0 and 2.0 folders are empty so looks like the newer vers are interfeering.. (Didn't bother to manaully install .NET on this computer).

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

I wasn't able to install .NET 1.0 - both the MS installer and the modified one complain about being incompatible with a previously installed version (I have 5 later versions on my system, from v2.0 SP2 to v4 Extended).
Uninstalling those versions would be a last resort, since I've got a whole house of cards that depends on them. Question is whether or not v1.0 would do the trick by itself, since the last post above includes a similar error report (unsure what that refers to).

Are you sure you don't already have .NET 1.1 installed? Is it not listed in your Add/Remove Programs control panel?

In theory all the different versions can be installed and uninstalled independently of one another.

Would it be a good idea to try this on a VM, keeping in mind that Windows 2000/XP and directX 8.0 are required?

If it requires Direct3D, you'll need to use VMware Player.

Reply 8 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use VS2010 Express. Initially, it did not want to open the design view of the Viewer.vb form until I compiled it the first time. I think it was because it could not find the Revolution3D8080.dll reference until it was compiled. The conversion will set the target .NET framework to 4.0 and the earliest that can be set manually is 2.0.

I suspect that the main problem is with the Revolution3D, which this includes the DLL and the LIB, but no source.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have given this game a quick look, and the problem seems to be that it relies on dx8vb.dll, which is not included with Windows Vista or newer.
There are also a few pretty nasty bugs in the code.
The most important bug is that it tries to run the rendering in a separate thread. This means that a foreign thread is accessing the main window, which is not allowed. Older versions of the .NET runtime probably thought it was okay, and you could get away with it, but I have compiled it with .NET 2.0 in VS2010, and it gives an exception.

I have done a quick hack to make it single-threaded... and the game starts, but then it crashes out on the terrain generation, because of some invalid parameters to a function call. I have commented that out, and the game actually 'works' this way... Just without any terrain. But you get to see the window with the car dashboard, and there's a moving donkey in front of you. That's about as far as I got for now.

Edit: Debugging some more, the Rev3D_PolyVox.Terrain_Generate() function appears to suffer from an old VB6 compiler bug.
It generates the following exception: 0xC000008F: Floating-point inexact result.
This is what triggers the "type error" when you return from the COM call.
This could be a case of the FPU rounding control in D3D being different from what it was when they originally wrote the Revolution3D library.
A possible solution might be to find a newer version of the Revolution3D DLL which does not suffer from this bug. So far I have not been able to track down a working download link for the SDK though.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/