Common searches

Lithtech game performance

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 42, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm using NV's 43.45 driver. They seem to work well with old games on cards up to the FX series. Searching around I find people saying they like 41.09. Whatever works.

Reply 22 of 42, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/no-one-liv … rever-2_i.phtml

Kevin Stephens, Director of Engineering: The new Jupiter engine includes quite a few improvements. First, the rendering pipeline has been completely rewritten allowing the designers to create levels with 30 times the detail of NOLF 1. We've also created new particle systems used for snow, explosions, fire, weapon fx and debris; revamped our water system to support cubic environment maps and non-rectangular shapes; and added numerous new texture blending capabilities including support for multiple u,v coordinates (smoother transitions between textures), two types of bump mapping, improved detail textures and decals.

I think it is D3D 7 based. The game requires D3D 8.1 but I'm not sure what features it uses beyond D3D 7. Nothing was obviously missing on the GeForce 2.

Reply 23 of 42, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really cool stuff. I remember drooling on that game and I had to use 3D Analyzer to get it working on my PC back then 🙁.
Also, the preview you posted features the first shots I ever saw of the game in a 2002 magazine. It feels so long ago damnit...

Reply 24 of 42, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game still feels "new" to me. When stuff is over thousands of polygons with large textures it tends to hold up over time, where the only way to make that feel old is to force 4:3, or ironically, add bloom effects 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 42, by Scanline City

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you ever get better performance out of Shogo using Voodoo 5? Im in the same situation typically getting between 30 and 60 - but I feel like the Voodoo 5 should run this a lot better right?

Reply 26 of 42, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The whole 'better on VooDoo!!!' reputation's mainly about the Glide API use in a game with a relatively poorly implemented D3D/GL renderer module (UnrealEngine1) or just vs. software, or that default gamma/filter killing dither a bit. In Shogo it shouldn't take any particular 3dfx-related advantages given it's a straight-up D3D6 game.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 42, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or, get the Linux version of Shogo MAD from Hyperion Entertainment. It has OpenGL renderer and runs superb on native modern Linux. The FPS almost always locked at VSYNC. If VSYNC is OFF, then it becomes too fast to play. Even widescreen resolutions work. It also plays on QEMU KVM extremely well with QEMU VirGL accelerated OpenGL.

Reply 29 of 42, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got my frame rate good in Shogo by using dgvoodoo. But the mouse movement is incredibly jerky to the point the game is unplayable. I saw the previous post mention an official path but I can't find it available to download

Reply 30 of 42, by Scanline City

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"mouse movement is incredibly jerky to the point the game is unplayable"

Iv had the same experience. In fact I think this game really ONLY plays perfect on windows 98. Even on XP you will notice that the mouse movement and gameplay is nowhere near as smooth as in W98. Tested using 9800xt on both Windows 98 and XP

Reply 31 of 42, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wrt mouse issues, I've found the general best way to fix it is to set a game's mouse sensitivity in the autoexec.cfg (or whatever the game titles it) very low until you're no longer having jitter problems, and in later lithtech games, to raise smoothness settings. combine this with making sure the game is locked to a vsync of 60, or keeping it at 60 FPS.

I've dealt with my fair share of lithtech engine games so this comes from trial and error experience. Some games it's harder to fix this for, like if they lack ingame mouse settings to cross reference, and also the autoexec file can be a real mess in some games. This advice is also being targeted at running the game in modern windows without having to mess around with your mouse hardware settings in windows too much, outside of the game.

Also of course, don't forget dgvoodoo 2. I also like using dinputto8 for older pre-dx8 lithtech titles.

Reply 33 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shogo basically won't run for me on Windows 10. Could be due to the dual Intel + nVidia GPU setup in my laptop, or something else. I tried all the suggestions - wrappers, etc. Best I could do was run in some wacky mode where everything was stretched badly, which made for a terrible experience.

It runs pretty well on my PIII-550 + Geforce 2 MX + Win98SE box, though, with some slight framerate drops occasionally that are probably due to loading?

Reply 34 of 42, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually have a disc copy of Shogo coming in from eBay and I'm buying a copy on Steam for an article I'm writing up elsewhere online. If anyone is interested, I'll post my technical results between both versions on my 3900X/GTX1080 desktop and my Windwos ME machine. 😀

Reply 36 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-01-20, 01:56:

Somehow, I have doubt in Titus fixing their thrown-up-on-Steam version...

I'm taking thrown-up as a double entendre.

What's more surprising is that I bought it on GOG and it still doesn't work on my modern computer. GOG usually puts a little more effort into things, but they were probably selling it pre-Win10 and never circled back.

Reply 37 of 42, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote on 2020-01-20, 02:39:

What's more surprising is that I bought it on GOG and it still doesn't work on my modern computer. GOG usually puts a little more effort into things

Not really. Most of GOG releases of older games could probably be put together by an intern in half an hour.

There are games with GOG specific fixes (that would have taken at least some time to create), but they're rare.

Reply 38 of 42, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-01-20, 01:56:

Somehow, I have doubt in Titus fixing their thrown-up-on-Steam version...

Interesting. I've personally not played the game since around 2002 on an XP machine with a Radeon 7000. 😀 But the article is looking at the game as an 'Anime Imitator', being it's a Western game that does a rather good job at emulating a Japanese title, going so far as having a Japanese opening sequence. So if the Steam version won't run on my modern PCs, it's another paragraph where I can go on about poor preservation of gaming. 😀

Reply 39 of 42, by Scanline City

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried going for a windows 98 max build with a athlon 64 3700+ and 9800xt and surprising you still get HUGE fps drops when explosions and particles start flying. This happens regardless of resolution for the most part. Heck I even tried a x850xt and got the same thing.