VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any good Sound Fonts for AWE32 that fit into 16MB range?
I recently bought an AWE32 CT2760 in perfect condition and cant wait to play some MIDI with it 😀

I have searched for Sound Banks but all i found was recommendation for the default 8MB one.
I also found this: http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php

By far one of the best 32 meg sound fonts i ever heard.
I asked the guy can he trim it down to 28MB for AWE32/64.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why 16Mb range? AFAIK AWE32 can have 512K, 2Mb, 8Mb or 28Mb memory.

There's a quality 24 Mb Sonivox soundfont, however, I didn't test it against an AWE32.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2 of 15, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because i only have 2x8MB modules 😀
Or at least thats what i think. MCM511000 x9 per module.

[E]

Ah, 1MBx1. 2MB 😭
Still the card works great.

Reply 3 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AWE32 only accepts 2x1Mb, 2x4Mb or 2x16mb SIMM modules. 2x8Mb wouldn't help you even if you had them.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4 of 15, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:
Because i only have 2x8MB modules :) Or at least thats what i think. MCM511000 x9 per module. […]
Show full quote

Because i only have 2x8MB modules 😀
Or at least thats what i think. MCM511000 x9 per module.

[E]

Ah, 1MBx1. 2MB 😭
Still the card works great.

Go to eBay, I got 2 16MB 30pin sticks for $1 each (+$5 shipping.) They worked great, until my 20 year old MB decided it didn't want to POST any more (KB chip's bad, and the blasted thing is soldered in.) Still in the process of putting my off system together again. I sort of wanted to upgrade anyway, the 233mhz P2 on a TXPro was getting a little sluggish with some of my Win9x games. New sys is P3 800mhz on a generic BX440 (or is it 440BX?) MB. Just like the TXPro, I've maxed out the MB's capabilities. 384MB RAM, 800mhz P3, Sound Blaster AWE32 (CT3980 - so plan to but a Daughter Board on it eventually,) 2x Voodoo2 12M in SLI, 32MB S3 AGP 2x (card is actually 4x but has same voltage and will automatically downgrade to 2x - only $10 is why I chose it.) The biggest issue is the Gigabit LAN card, but I actually have DOS drivers for it, and it's a standard PCI card, so it should work fine. Was told it would work in the TXPro board, so it should work in this one (never got a chance to install the blasted thing.) So that's one ISA, 3 PCI, and 1 AGP cards - the MB has 1 ISA, 4 PCI, and 1 AGP slots, so that works out. With all that, the only expansion the board is capable of is the addition of a PCI card. Would have preferred to get the board that had 1AGP, 1 ISA, 4 PCI, and 1 "shared" ISA/PCI slot, so I would have the option of either another ISA card or another PCI card, but it was 5 times the cost 🙁 Been halfway keeping an eye out for another MB, but not making it a high priority. Not counting the parts I already had (AWE32, & Gigabit LAN) the total cost was $180 + shipping. Yeah, I eBay a lot, and am fairly good at waiting for good deals 😀 They all had tons of good reviews too 😀. Oh, and this includes an experiment I'm doing, instead of porting my 16g & 2 40g HDD's over, I'm using adapters and 3 CF cards. If it doesn't work out, well, I still have the HDDs to use.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 5 of 15, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That might be a bit tricky, i dont have ebay in serbia and cant send money to pay pal, but i will try 😁

Thats a pretty cool idea for a system. I also like the idea of Two Voodoo 2 cards. I went to some trouble of finding them here and found two Gainward Dragon 3000, each missing a single SMD capacitor (urrrghhh). Besides that, i had horrible luck with voodoo 2 cards. Of 10 i have only the one i got as a gift works xD
If you have dos drivers for the LAN card it will definitely work.
Also, i will be selling an ASuS K7M with Athlon 600MHz on AmiBay soon, along some other stuff, so if you are still in search check my AmiBay latter this week 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I prefer this 4MB one over the EMU 8MB:
http://www.voicecrystal.com/sfengine.mv?#top
but it is not free.
I replaced the synth bass+square+saw with the ones from EMU 8MB.
Edit: patch no. 87 and 38 to be exact.

Last edited by gerwin on 2014-05-15, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of the files there are single instruments, there is just one General Midi soundfont: 4 Meg General Midi Sound set version 4.1 (VCGS4MV4.sf2). GS compatibility is also mentioned.

An older version of this set was used with soundcards in the 90's:
-Turtle Beach Monterey, Maui, RIO
-Gravis Ultrasound Classic and Plug-n-Play

Reply 10 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As requested through PM, I made some recordings of the Voice Crystal Soundfont VCGS4Mv4.SF2. For now I did not bother setting up a S/PDIF connection to a Retro-PC with AWE32. It is just a Timidity++ software affair. Maybe later.

Left the two patch edits in place: patch 38="Synth Bass 1" and 87="Bass + lead" are from EMU 8MBGM.SF2. These patches are used in the Descent track for example. The original VCGS4Mv4.SF2 loads properly to AWE32 memory using AWEplay, but AWEplay does not like the modified SF2.

The recordings were made to compare with Swaaye's collection of Sound Card recordings.
Somehow my earlier contributions are gone there, so I added them to the zip file below. <- Swaaye please take note, can these be added again?
I cannot guarantee that the zip file below will be available for long, but for several months at least.

Midi_Rec_GB_2014.zip [60MB], contents: [Edit it is offline, I can reupload it when there is interest]

• VCGS4Mv4+EMU38+87 Timidity - Dark Forces.mp3
    VCGS4Mv4+EMU38+87 Timidity - Doom E1M1.mp3
    VCGS4Mv4+EMU38+87 Timidity - Lufia.mp3

VCGS4Mv4+EMU38+87 Timidity - Descent.mp3
    VCGS4Mv4+EMU38+87 Timidity - Dune2.mp3
    VCGS4Mv4+EMU38+87 Timidity - System Shock.mp3

Dream GSWave 4M - Dark Forces.mp3
    Dream GSWave 4M - Doom E1M1.mp3
    Dream GSWave 4M - Lufia.mp3

TB Rio Rev 2, less effects - Dark Forces.mp3
    TB Rio Rev 2, less effects - Doom E1M1.mp3
    TB Rio Rev 2, less effects - Lufia.mp3

TopWave Korg - Dark Forces.mp3
    TopWave Korg - Doom E1M1.mp3
    TopWave Korg - Lufia.mp3

Wave XTable - Dark Forces.mp3
    Wave XTable - Doom E1M1.mp3
    Wave XTable - Lufia.mp3
Stojke wrote:

Has somebody bought it?

I bought this SF2 from the mentioned website.

Last edited by gerwin on 2022-03-05, 21:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 15, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the recordings. It does sound nice in some games 😀

I got an reply from Chris that made General Users GS sound font and he indeed did make an AWE32 sound font that makes use of the Onboard 1MB ROM as well.
I got his permission to share it and he is willing to set a link on his website if there is interest.

Reply 12 of 15, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Has somebody bought it?

I attempted to buy it from the site, but I just get a "Not Found" error. I sent a message to Eye & I Productions asking for assistance, hopefully they will reply.

The recordings of the VCGS are pretty good; it sounds like a nice soundfont. I previously didn't know that the older version of the bank was also used in some Turtle Beach cards...there's also a 5 MB Aureal GM Wavetable that came with stuff like the Turtle Beach Montego II.

Edit: Eye & I have replied, and have given me an alternate way to buy the soundfont without any problems. I'm not sure why I was receiving the "Not Found" error before, probably just some random glitch.

Reply 14 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Masaru wrote on 2022-03-04, 05:18:
Stojke wrote on 2014-05-15, 16:41:

Has somebody bought it?

Just tried to purchase it using their Paypal option! Hopefully I can still buy it because it sounds really nice 😀

I bought my copy of the Voice Crystal soundfont on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 and had no issues . It is, IMHO, one of the best <28MB soundfonts ever made .

Reply 15 of 15, by Masaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-03-04, 05:47:
Masaru wrote on 2022-03-04, 05:18:
Stojke wrote on 2014-05-15, 16:41:

Has somebody bought it?

Just tried to purchase it using their Paypal option! Hopefully I can still buy it because it sounds really nice 😀

I bought my copy of the Voice Crystal soundfont on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 and had no issues . It is, IMHO, one of the best <28MB soundfonts ever made .

Just heard back from Voice Crystal and was able to purchase this for $20.

Honestly it sounds good, but I don't know if it's much better than getting the EMU_General_MIDI_Collection.ISO that you can get from Vogons Download section. The 8MB Soundfont in that sounds great!

I have a TON of midi files and i found this one is a good test for seeing how well each Soundfont holds up. I test them out by loading them in VLC and after playing the one in my attachment with the Voice Crystal SF I noticed the Harmonica is all wonky and out of tune.

The EMUGM 8mb soundfont sounds ok, but the best one for this track is really just using VLCs default playback Soundfont. Not really sure what that is, but it sounds pretty good.

Not sure if it's just my setup or not.

Attachments