VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would appreciate any feedback on this - have been pulling my hair out for two days
System = a7v600 motherboard, athlon xp2600+ cpu, 2 gigs crucial RAM, windows XP
Problem = AGP texturing not enabled. Direct draw and D3D work fine - even played through Unreal 2 on it before I even realized there was a problem.
If I try to install the VIA AGP driver - and I got the most recent one - then texturing becomes enabled. However it will pass the D3D DX6 tests but fail 7 and 8 with an "out of memory error."
Upgrading to DX9 does NOT fix it.
Have tried different BIOS settings.
Decided to install Catalyst - which I usually don't mess with - and I got an installer error message on that.
I am rapidly running out of options and am beginning to wonder if there is a hardware problem with the motherboard or the card.

Reply 3 of 11, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) How many RAM modules do you have installed? Try it with just one.
2) Run Memtest86+
3) Any of these; http://www.mathworks.nl/help/matlab/matlab_pr … ory-errors.html

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 5 of 11, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I solved a FEW of the problems...

I installed SP3 and the .NET framework and suddenly I was able to install Catalyst - did not realize it was a requirement (nice of them to say it). I then realized that AGP texture acceleration was enabled. Okay maybe it was fixed. But it is STILL failing the D3D DX8 and DX9 tests with an out of memory error.

I partially solved the problem uninstalling the ATI drivers. It defaults back to the microsoft drivers, thinking it is radeon PRO. Now it passes all the D3D tests and texture acceleration is enabled. However, I can tell it is sluggish.

Right now I am disgusted with the whole thing and ready go back to win98 - I have NEVER had so much trouble with a system. I

Reply 6 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was figuring you needed a newer SP for new-ish .NET/drivers to properly load. An older version of the Catalyst drivers should work on older builds of XP (Guru3D should have such a thing if you dig around) with older .NET revisions if you need that. Running without ATi drivers will result in horrible performance for games (basically,there's no good reason to run the card with no drivers installed). It's also possible that dxdiag just isn't properly reporting AGP Texture Acceleration: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810772 (and I know "GeForce 4" - search around on the web and you'll find folks complaining about the same symptoms with Radeon 9700, 9800s, and so forth). It may also be the result of interaction with SMARTGART, or a lack/problem/etc with the VIA miniport driver. ACPI may also be partly to blame (do you have it enabled?). Finally it may also be an issue with your DX installation (out of curiosity which version do you have installed?).

Have you tried any of NitroX Infinity's suggestions?

Reply 7 of 11, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually problem solved! I used an EARLIER version of the catalyst program (which apparently doesn't require .NET). Once I was able to run smartgart I could see that the AGP was OFF. I tried the VIA AGP driver and this time I was able to install it, and everything was fine after that.

Doesn't ATI actually TEST this stuff before they post it??? If .NET is a requirement shouldn't they prompt you to install it?

Reply 9 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ncmark wrote:

Actually problem solved! I used an EARLIER version of the catalyst program (which apparently doesn't require .NET). Once I was able to run smartgart I could see that the AGP was OFF. I tried the VIA AGP driver and this time I was able to install it, and everything was fine after that.

Doesn't ATI actually TEST this stuff before they post it??? If .NET is a requirement shouldn't they prompt you to install it?

I'm guessing the release notes would contain the .NET requirement, but I don't see the release notes as being available without downloading the self-extracting archive and running it. 😵

I vaguely remember the .NET thing being a sore point some years ago too; in a perfect world Windows would use something like portage and these kinds of issues would never be seen by the EU.

Glad that the older driver package worked - was thinking that might do it for you, and it isn't like you need the latest Legacy drivers from 2010; they probably stopped actively developing for the R3x0 chips years before that, and even in their day the drivers were relatively stable/competent for most applications. 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I also recommend Omega Drivers and ATI Tray Tools. It does everything the Catalyst Control Center does, with a minimum of overhead. (You will need the MS Visual C++ 2008 runtime, but that's no biggie and a whole bunch of things already require that.)