Rank
Oldbie

agp 8x
3+ ram slots
sata (perfably)
decent VRM/phase count
Overclocking (would be nice)
mATX or ATX doesn't matter.
and all for say 30 bucks or under shipped?

Reply 4 of 17, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

guess we'll see how the Barton Althon XP 2500+ handles windows 7. 🤣 I know with Pentium 4s they kind of dog out unless you have the 1mb cache version... in windows 7 that is. i also now core 2 duos and Pentiums tend to perform better in with more than 1mb cache.

Reply 5 of 17, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

guess we'll see how the Barton Althon XP 2500+ handles windows 7. 🤣 I know with Pentium 4s they kind of dog out unless you have the 1mb cache version... in windows 7 that is. i also now core 2 duos and Pentiums tend to perform better in with more than 1mb cache.

I've seen an XP 3200+ with 7 before. Twasn't bad. RAM & GPU are key for Vista/7. CPU is less important. Also P4's are cache hungry because of the uber-deep pipeline. Less goes further with K7.

Reply 6 of 17, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

Do you know many Core 2 Duos with less than 1Mb cache? Upon release, the slowest model E6300 had 2Mb L2.

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2014-05-19, 01:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 17, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

how about 3gb of DDR400 and an AGP 8x HD2600 512mb on a sata HDD?

E2161 is core duo 2 family CPU, it is labled Pentium but, if look at the wiki here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

allendale is a derivative.

Reply 8 of 17, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:
how about 3gb of DDR400 and an AGP 8x HD2600 512mb on a sata HDD? […]
Show full quote

E2161 is core duo 2 family CPU, it is labled Pentium but, if look at the wiki here,

There were Conroe-L Celerons with 512K cache as well, would you call them Core 2 Duo too?

Considering videocard, HD2600 should be fine, unless you like something flashy like FX5950

Reply 9 of 17, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

It's more about the platform than the CPU cache.

I've noticed that Win7 runs much better on PCIe based systems. Even the earliest PCIe systems--nForce4 for AMD; i915 for Intel--run fine with enough RAM. I believe it has to do with video performance and overall system bandwidth. With PCIe, you have access to GeForce 8 and Radeon HD, which support WDDM 1.1 video drivers. These are better suited for Win7 than AGP cards, which are typically stuck with less efficient WDDM 1.0 drivers. Also, PCIe systems typically have faster CPU buses, quick DDR2 memory, and AHCI-enabled SATA controllers.

I can make my fastest AGP system struggle on Win7 just by connecting a 2560x1440 monitor to it. Even a 2.9GHz Athlon 64 with AGP X1950Pro graphics will run choppy at that res. When I run the same processor in a PCIe system with WDDM 1.1 support, performance is better. Particularly web browsers, which scroll much smoother. I've never tried Win7 on an AGP Radeon HD card, so I can't comment on the performance.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 10 of 17, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

I can make my fastest AGP system struggle on Win7 just by connecting a 2560x1440 monitor to it. Even a 2.9GHz Athlon 64 with AGP X1950Pro graphics will run choppy at that res. When I run the same processor in a PCIe system with WDDM 1.1 support, performance is better. Particularly web browsers, which scroll much smoother. I've never tried Win7 on an AGP Radeon HD card, so I can't comment on the performance.

I went from x1800GTO to HD5670 and noticed zero difference in GUI accelleration at 1280x1024. I didn't have a bigger monitor though. However, x1800GTO was a little choppy in flash HD videos, but it did not bother me since I had a very slow connection.

Reply 11 of 17, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:
how about 3gb of DDR400 and an AGP 8x HD2600 512mb on a sata HDD? […]
Show full quote

There were Conroe-L Celerons with 512K cache as well, would you call them Core 2 Duo too?

Considering videocard, HD2600 should be fine, unless you like something flashy like FX5950

yes, if you look conreo is part of the core 2 family. if it's 775 and it's not pentium 4 or pentium d my brain automatically flips over to it being derivative of core 2. which usually it is a cut down version of core 2 with a fancy label.

Standard Def Steve wrote:
It's more about the platform than the CPU cache. […]
Show full quote
cdoublejj wrote:

It's more about the platform than the CPU cache.

I've noticed that Win7 runs much better on PCIe based systems. Even the earliest PCIe systems--nForce4 for AMD; i915 for Intel--run fine with enough RAM. I believe it has to do with video performance and overall system bandwidth. With PCIe, you have access to GeForce 8 and Radeon HD, which support WDDM 1.1 video drivers. These are better suited for Win7 than AGP cards, which are typically stuck with less efficient WDDM 1.0 drivers. Also, PCIe systems typically have faster CPU buses, quick DDR2 memory, and AHCI-enabled SATA controllers.

on that note my socket 478 system with ddr2 and PCIe flys it can even run Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon at 25-30 FPS+ !!! also being that it has an HD5570 youtube videos even in HD play well.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroe_%28microprocessor%29

Reply 12 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:
agp 8x 3+ ram slots sata (perfably) decent VRM/phase count Overclocking (would be nice) mATX or ATX doesn't matter. and all for […]
Show full quote

agp 8x
3+ ram slots
sata (perfably)
decent VRM/phase count
Overclocking (would be nice)
mATX or ATX doesn't matter.
and all for say 30 bucks or under shipped?

What about the Asus A7N8X-E?
Should cover everything you ask for.

Here is the manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nfo … 8x-e_deluxe.pdf

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13 of 17, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow, looks like great board. I ended up finding a decent 775 board with decent on board gfx to go with a spare E2160 and DDR2. in the mean time i'm playing with 7 on the socket A but, i can't find a molex to 6 pin for the hd2600.

Reply 16 of 17, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

wow, looks like great board. I ended up finding a decent 775 board with decent on board gfx to go with a spare E2160 and DDR2. in the mean time i'm playing with 7 on the socket A but, i can't find a molex to 6 pin for the hd2600.

China ships lots of such stuff 😀 http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Molex-to-6-Pin- … =item3f33c1c7f1