DS12887 drop-in replacement

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 175, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Zero cost? How can I resist. Put me down for 1.

If there's room for one more, my hand is raised! 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 42 of 175, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another little update:

I assembled 4 of the modules. 2 with 'authentic' DS12885s, 2 with chips sourced from alibaba so authenticity is debateable. I've programmed all 4 with different dates (same date, with 1-year offset) and disconnected them from the system. They'll be kept in storage for a few more weeks then tested again to check accuracy and battery level. I suspect the alibaba chips may be rebadged TI BQ3285, which are direct drop-in replacements for the 12885 but much cheaper. Initial testing shows no difference whatsoever in behavior and battery drain between the DS12885s and the 'rebadged' after a two week period and accuracy is well within the margin of error.

If accuracy and battery level prove satisfactory on both authentic and 'uncertain' chips, I will ship the two freebies to feipoa and tr3vor. When they can confirm reception and satisfactory function, I will begin further assembly and distribution.

Pics will follow early next week.

Reply 44 of 175, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice, glad to see this project getting somewhere. This will be much nicer than a maybe half dead RTC you buy from ebay. 😜

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Tr3vor42532

Reply 45 of 175, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I may even include the battery since I got a good pack of them, but on those I can't promise anything about the condition. Besides, having a replaceable battery is the whole point of this project. 😉

Also, if some would prefer making it themselves, here's the PCB and where to order it. There's really not much of a need for schematics considering the part count.

http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/DgExxcyH

Reply 46 of 175, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How coincidental I saw this post, I just got a system with a dead ODIN RTC on it. Can't wait to see how this turns out because I would definitely be in for one or two 😀

Reply 48 of 175, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not yet, waiting 'till early next week to see if the ones I made so far still have their timekeeping after a month unsocketed, then shipping two to some users so they can test it themselves. When they report the all green I'll start making more and selling.

Reply 49 of 175, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is awesome...I am also looking forward to buying one of these...I will want one for an old NEC computer I have with a dreaded RTC on it. It's not dead yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon, and then I'll be ready with one of these beauties.

Reply 50 of 175, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll probably even be able to include a battery (packaged separately) too! Seems CR1216/1220/1225s can be somewhat hard to find in some areas.

Also, pics tomorrow.

Might also accept a trade for a pair of (or even a single) confirmed working 64MB (so 128MB total) 72-pin SIMMs, parity or no, EDO preferred. Attempting to diagnose a single-board computer that claims to be limited to 32MB SIMMs and I have no way to know if it's just incompatibility with the (not sure if working correctly) sticks I have right now, which should be 64MB but are only detected as 32. (If someone has the know-how to tweak a bios to add support, even better).

Reply 54 of 175, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a "free" button originally. I was surprised that more people didn't sign up for that when it was available.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 55 of 175, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I was surprised that more people didn't sign up

For me personally I didn't have any need for it until getting a P166 a few days ago with a dead ODIN 😀 Rest of my mobo's had buton cell batteries or none at all.

Reply 58 of 175, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi!

I'll definitely order at least one when you're ready to ship.

I've got an old Tyan S1563S that has one of those Dallas RTC battery/chips. A few years ago, it died and I was forced to contemplate my options. At the time, I found these two websites about "fixing" the problem:

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/dallasrework.html

I didn't feel like getting creative with my dremel tool, so I ended up just buying a new one. I saved the old dead one thinking that one day I would make the necessary CR2032 mods to it, but I never got around to it.

I would much prefer to purchase one of yours. I look forward to it!

Thanks!

Reply 59 of 175, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got the test unit and installed in in my cousin's 486 about 6 days ago and it works perfectly so far.
4XIWYIVl.jpg 1itaLr0l.jpg

These are definitely a good idea. Works a lot better than our modi-fried dallas chip we had in there that drained the battery every couple days for some reason.

Ugh, he needs a vlb video card 😜

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Tr3vor42532