VOGONS

First post, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard in my Win98 Voodoo 5500 rig. I am currently using an Intel Pentium III 600MHz 100 FSB CPU, the motherboard does not support 133 FSB.

I would like to put a slightly faster P3 in the machine, maybe a 850MHz or even a 1GHz if I can find one, but all P3 CPU's over 600MHz seem to be 133 FSB, does this matter? I know that it will not run at 133 but is there any reason why I could not put a 133 FSB P3 in my PC? will it just run slower at 100 FSB or is there any other issues I nay have?

Thanks for your time.

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I

Reply 1 of 11, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1ghz, would run at 750mhz @ 100mhz FSB. Assuming 7.5x multi, 133fsb=997=1ghz for most boards.
Don't see why it would not work unless, the mobo doesn't recognize the CPU and decides to not post.

Reply 3 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are P3 1GHz on 100MHz FSB too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Pentium-III-S … =item3a806533b6
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Pentium-III-S … =item3f2b2a3467

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 11, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info guys, interesting about that, so I can use a 133 but it will run slower, mm better try to find a 100 then. Thanks for the link kixs but I have a slot 1 MB, very hard to find slot 1 P3's above 600MHx that have a 100MHz FSB.

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I

Reply 5 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then get an adapter Slot-1 to s370. Here is one seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joblot-CPU-And-RAM- … =item3a91ffea97

Reply 6 of 11, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent, thanks kixs I had no idea such an animal even existed! good to know.

Reply 7 of 11, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the slot 1 board support multipliers above 8x 8.5x? Thats a problem with many BX boards. Some have undocumented higher multi support.
Or is it VIA based, tho not likely as most slot 1 via boards also do 133.
Slockets are ok too, if you use low profile sinks on them. Like RaccoonRider said, you can't use a tualatin unless you get a powerleap slocket adapter.
As there are voltage differences BX boards won't support and you will be massively overvolting the CPU otherwise.

Reply 9 of 11, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yes it does matter what it supports.
Some boards will refuse to post if the multiplier is not set correctly locked or not, others especially ones that are jumperfree may not care.
It just depends on your boards bios.
An example is a OEM Asus BX board from a Compaq.
I used such a board in one of my machines, and it will not recognize cpu's above 800mhz 8x multi, and it labels PIII's as pentium pros.

Reply 10 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't really matter if BIOS recognizes CPU. If BIOS allows to boot then it will work. This way many BX boards are running Tualatin core Celerons and P3s. I've tested this with ABIT BX133.

Reply 11 of 11, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

It doesn't really matter if BIOS recognizes CPU. If BIOS allows to boot then it will work. This way many BX boards are running Tualatin core Celerons and P3s. I've tested this with ABIT BX133.

Exactly it is up to the motherboards bios.
Above 800mhz or 8x multi the board I am talking about won't post, as you can't set the multi higher to match the blown lock on the cpu this board will not post without matching it. Only unlocked Early Pentium II's it recognizes will it accept different multipliers for.
Any Pentium III Katamai or Coppermine plugged into it is recognized as a Pentium Pro, so the board doesn't officially even acknowledge their existence, and would gladly fry a tualatin on a slocket card that doesn't downgrade the voltage.

Its completely up to the bios of the motherboard if it ignores its own multiplier settings, and uses whats set on the cpu allowing it to post.