VOGONS

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Amiga-in-a-Box project removed a lot of their files, due to copyright infringement, and recommended Cloanto's Amiga Forever or WinAUE. Has anybody tried these on a Win7 64bit machine successfully, or am I about to start tilted wildmills, ala Don Quixote?

The reason I bought it, and tracked down LEGAL downloads of some older Amiga games, was because when I was a stupid kid, I looked at the screenshots of games like Defender of the Crown, Sinbad, and a few others that also came out for DOS. Trouble is, I failed to read the small print that stated "Amiga Screens Shown", so I got greeted with 16 color EGA graphics and horrible PC Speaker audio, and felt ripped off. I'd like to see what those games really looked, sounded, and played like. Any online tutorials, or suggestions on getting these setup properly?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinUAE is THE Amiga emulator and it can run almost every Amiga game. Amiga Forever adds a nice launcher to WinUAE, some games and (important if you want to be on the legal side) kickstart ROMs and workbench disks. Even they offer hard disk images with latest workbench installed (for emulating later machines that had hard disk).

On the Amiga-in-a-Box web, they state that they work with UAE. WinUAE is the Windows version of UAE, so you already know the emulator. UAE/WinUAE don't distribute copyrighted software, so you must have some legal ROMs and workbench disks (optional) to boot the emulated machine.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 6, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

WinUAE is THE Amiga emulator and it can run almost every Amiga game. Amiga Forever adds a nice launcher to WinUAE, some games and (important if you want to be on the legal side) kickstart ROMs and workbench disks. Even they offer hard disk images with latest workbench installed (for emulating later machines that had hard disk).

On the Amiga-in-a-Box web, they state that they work with UAE. WinUAE is the Windows version of UAE, so you already know the emulator. UAE/WinUAE don't distribute copyrighted software, so you must have some legal ROMs and workbench disks (optional) to boot the emulated machine.

Yeah, I bought Amiga Forever purely because they legally offer the kickstart roms and workbench. I tried WinUAE in the past, but I ran into all kinds of compatability issues (probably ignorance of the platform on my part), so I was hoping CFA would be easier to use.

Reply 3 of 6, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hrm, yeah, it's too bad regarding AiaB. It seems like there was an intention to provide downloads again once some of the infringing content was purged out, but since the announcement was from way back in 2012 I guess that's never going to happen.

I've been using AmiKit as an alternative: http://www.amikit.amiga.sk

It requires a source of the workbench and other OS files though, so you'll need one of the following CDs to get through it's setup...

• Amiga Forever Plus or Premium Edition 2005 or newer (also includes required Kickstart ROM)
  • Amiga Forever Online Edition 2005/2006/2008 (also includes required Kickstart ROM)
  • AmigaOS 3.9 CD (both editions)
  • AmigaOS 3.5 CD
  • AmigaOS XL CD (Amithlon)

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 4 of 6, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolano wrote:

Hrm, yeah, it's too bad regarding AiaB. It seems like there was an intention to provide downloads again once some of the infringing content was purged out, but since the announcement was from way back in 2012 I guess that's never going to happen.

I've been using AmiKit as an alternative: http://www.amikit.amiga.sk

It requires a source of the workbench and other OS files though, so you'll need one of the following CDs to get through it's setup...

So, is AmiKit easier to setup and use than CAF? I noticed it mentioned a using live CD, which seems a little silly, since I bought CAF2014-stable the other day, and (so far) it at least opens up in a a window on my Win7 rig.

After getting so used to DosBOX, ScummVM, VMware, and Virtualbox, I really like have the VMs running while I can task switch back to Win7 when I need to do something else.

Reply 6 of 6, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AROS project (an open source Amiga operating system) has developed an open source Kickstart replacement ROM called AROS m68k. You can google for it. I remember, years ago, running UAE using that alternative ROM and I actually got Gods to run on it. So there is a way to legally run (many?) Amiga games using completely open source software.