User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have here three boards that are wonky or just not working:

1. MG 8001 Rev. 1.0 Acer 486 U.S. Technologies
- using nine UMC61256CK-20 cache chips
- boots with a DX2-50 CPU, don't know how to set it up for DX2-66
- only boots with external cache disabled in BIOS (endless reset loop if enabled)

2. MB-8433/40 UUC-A Ver.3.1
- PSU powers up, HDD LED works but no POST

3. M601 v1.3A
- PSU powers up, HDD LED works but no POST

Would it make sense to salvage BIOS and cache chips and toss the rest? Anything else that is re-usable? Any ideas what else to try to make them come back to life?

Attachments

• Filename
    DSC_0067.JPG
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    DSC_0066.JPG
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSC_0065.JPG
    File size
    960.12 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSC_0064.JPG
    File size
    2.01 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 8, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If #1 only boots with external cache disabled, perhaps it's due not to a bad mobo but some bad flash chips?

#3, M601, check the battery. I've seen a handful of cases where if the battery is completely shot the system wouldn't actually boot.

Reply 2 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would recommend to flash an bios update to these boards.. If the PCB circuitry look undamaged you could do that, maybe its just a corrupt bios.. I had one board here that doesnt work.. Flashed a new bios en board was running again.. Dont forget that these board are about 23 years old, then the quality of the bios part will go down after these times..

If the bios update also dont work, look for damaged capacitors or chips, broken capacitors and resistors can be replaced, and chips can be reflowed.

If the board have large broken traces i would desolder the usefull items from the board, like ram slot / cpu socket, cache chips, eprom.. ISA / VLB /PCI slots, keyboard en power connectors.
And dump the bare pcb.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to throw away broken stuff, but I do not anymore. You can never tell what useless components might be needed in the future! A 72-pin slot to upgrade GUS or AWE32 with 72-pin SIMM, is a good example of how a something good can only be found in a pile of broken junk. So I keep them, I keep them all, put them in a large cardboard box in the garage and dig there once I need a victim for my soldering practice 😈

Btw, the last one looks like a fake Acer to me. I've got several Acer 486 parts, both OEM and retail, and they all have Acer serial number starting with a nine (probably the date code), for expample: 94136-1 48.43201.001 (A1GX motherboard) or 95328-1 48.56702.001 (8MB FPM SIMM). They also use a different font, something like default AutoCAD font and all my stuff has the words "Made in Taiwan R.O.C." printed in huge capital letters. And nothing on them says they belong to Acer.

Reply 5 of 8, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IT seems the M601 needs a oscillator for the cpu to run, you need a twice the fsb speed osc.

If youre about to tossing them out, i would like to save them, can i buy them? especially the 8433
Every damage to the board, is repairable, except for broken Chipsets due to ESD, or you will have to source replacement ic's.
Please all be safe about ESD and protect your boards and components.

The ALI VLB board looks nice, probably the jumpers for FSB are between those ISA slots, can you make a clear macro picture that is also showing the top of those board print.
It is strange that there is a oscillator on there, probably you can switch between i fixed oscillator and a generated signal by the jumpers between the isa slot. Also take out the cache ram and see it it runs without looping/resetting also clean that sram pins with a screwdriver or such removing oxidation. there could be a bad contact.

What ram is installed on the 8433, what mem chip markings are on there?

Reply 6 of 8, by moumiaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you still have this motherboard or the bios ?

Half-Saint wrote on 2014-07-29, 09:51:
I have here three boards that are wonky or just not working: […]
Show full quote

I have here three boards that are wonky or just not working:

1. MG 8001 Rev. 1.0 Acer 486 U.S. Technologies
- using nine UMC61256CK-20 cache chips
- boots with a DX2-50 CPU, don't know how to set it up for DX2-66
- only boots with external cache disabled in BIOS (endless reset loop if enabled)

Reply 7 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since 486 boards are quite rare, I would sell the to someone for the price of postage.

I have thrown away two PIII boards already that didn't work, one had no BIOS and some missing caps and another one was Intel 815 or something like that without AGP/ISA so completely useless. Some boards you get when you buy old computers are not worth saving.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 8 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moumiaq wrote on 2021-08-17, 18:32:

Do you still have this motherboard or the bios ?

No, sorry, I think I gave them away for the price of postage several years ago 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png