VOGONS

How I got X-com Apoc, running in Xp

Topic actions

First post, by mortenmarc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here, well did a search yesterday but didn't find anything to help me get the game running, so this is what i did. And now I have unstuttering intro, almost perfect sound, and most importantly X-com Apocalypse, is running. :)

*Note: This will probably not work for everyone, but hopefully many of you. Let's hope that I don't have the ultrauserfreindly version of xp, and no one else has that particular version.

With that said, let get down to it:

First you are going to need some stuff of the net, these things are:

VDMSound, the update, and VDMS launchpad. Here: http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

mouse2kv. Here: Mouse2KV By Vlad R. & Peter

And last this: http://www.xcomufo.com/x3cdfix.zip

Other stuff:

Missing Map zip: http://www.xcomufo.com/apocmaps.zip Don't know if you are missing them, butnice to know where to find them.

I'm not sure if you need to use this, but better safe than sorry, It's attached
to this thread, cause I forgot where I got it, don't know if it's needed cause I don't know what it does? something with svga, well I used it, so I can't say if it's needed or not.

STEP 1
Ok, first you need to install the game, I'm running the Colletor's cd version, with full 200 mb install, so you'd better do that to, if you're running a downloaded version.... Well I wouldn't know if that worked with this, but try.

If you get a files/buffers error, just continue with the intall, we're gonna fix that later.

STEP 2
Unzip the mouse2kv and x3cdfix, to your Xcom3 dir. "excample: C:\Games\Xcomapoc"
Whatever it might be called.

STEP 3
Install VDMSound, the update, and VDMS launchpad.
*Note: the updates you downloaded contain readmes that tell you what to do with the files
in them.

STEP 4
*This is where it gets tricky, so read carefully*

Go into your xcomapoc directory(the one you unzipped to in STEP 2) right click on the file
xcom3.bat and choose the "edit" function, you will see this, on your screen:

@echo off
fakecd .. /L:D >nul
xcom3_cd.com
xcomapoc.exe SKIP
rem Uninstall process
xcom3_cd.com
fakecd /U >nul
mode co80
cls
echo.
echo X-COM3 Apocalypse from Alex-God.
echo Don't forget Microprose Corporation...
pause

You need to change it, so it looks like this:

@echo off
xcom3_cd.com
mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe SKIP
rem Uninstall process
xcom3_cd.com
fakecd /U >nul
mode co80
cls
echo.
echo X-COM3 Apocalypse from Alex-God.
echo Don't forget Microprose Corporation...
pause

STEP 4a (optional)

If you want to watch the intro, you will have to remove the "SKIP" part. Oh yes my intro works :)
lets look at this .bat file again.

@echo off
xcom3_cd.com
mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe SKIP (you can remove the SKIP, to watch intro)
rem Uninstall process
xcom3_cd.com
fakecd /U >nul
mode co80
cls
echo.
(what was here, you can remove, without problems)

STEP 5
Once you have changed the file, save and exit. Now right click on it again, and choose
"properties", click on "compatability", and check the box marked:"Run this program in com-
patabiltystate for" and choose "windows 95"

And check the box that says "run with 256 color" click use and confirm, and then use and
confirm.

STEP 6
Now right click on it once more, and choose the option "Run with VDMS" and a little music
note beside it.

- Now a window that says VDMSound Configuration wizard should pop up. Select
SETUP A CUSTOM CONFIGURATION and click NEXT.

- Then CREATE A NEW CONFIGURATION FROM SCRATCH, then click NEXT

- Click NEXT again.

- If you like there is a box that says create a desktop shortcut, otherwise click NEXT.

(the game will probably start now, and if you have chosen to watch the intro, you will notice that the sound stutters, and the picture is also stuttering, thats cause we aren't done quite yet) Exit the game.

STEP 7
Right-Click on the new Shortcut that was created in your Xcomapoc directory and click
Properties. The properties window will open up now and do the following:

- COMPATABILITY: "check" Enable expanded memory (EMS)
"check" Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)

- MIDI EMULATION: make sure this is "checked" and leave it on General MIDI (GM) or GS.

- Joystick Emulation: "uncheck" this box.

- "check" the box that says "close DOS window on exit", now click on "Advanced"

- In Compatability tab:
Change the Expanded Memory (EMS) total to 16384 via the dropdown box.

- In DOS Environment tab:
Ad a line underneath "FILES=40" Saying "BUFFERS=40"

So it looks like this:
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40

- Click Apply then OK, then Click Apply then OK again.

STEP 8

You should now be ready to play.

DISCLAIMER:
Thanks to all the people who made the stuff, Mythos, etc. etc. bla bla bla...

Oh and if anyone finds out that, that x3svga.zip, has to be used, please let me know, then i'll edit the post... Thanks

Attachments

• Filename
    x3svga.zip
    File size
    28.78 KiB
    Downloads
    1001 downloads
    File comment
    that file, if all I wrote doesn't help, try running it, as i said, do not know if it has any effect at all.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 26, by LondonGman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mortenmarc wrote:

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here, ... Thanks

Good write up, mortenmarc, and my first post too but it still did not work for me until I made the following adjustments to your instructions to make it work for me. Most of the differences are due to running the game from a CD but may hint at solving others problems too.

My spec is
• Athlon 2.4
• Windows XP Sp1 (not tried SP2)
• 1G ram
• Elby Virtual drive using a CD image of the original 1997 CD

I read and fully understood the instructions above but differences were

• I did a minimum installation from a CD image using a virtual Cd drive. Therefore conclude that the installation size does not matter nor virtual drives

• Made sure that CD support was enabled in the VDMSound advance properties. Was not enabled by default in VDMSound. (important if running game from CD)

• Disabled AdLib sound emulation - Not sure if it made any difference

• Ensure that Soundblaster IRQ and other details match X-Com sound setup settings - [in XP, Xcom set my SoundBlaster IRQ to 5 but VDMound set it to 7, so have to change it to 5) ]

• In file XCOM3.bat discussed above, delete line 2 i.e. “fakecd .. /L: D >nul(this line causes my game to crash as i am using the "CD")

This should work under the above circumstances. I own the original, and it with Civ 2 are among my favourite games of all time but have struggled for years to get X-Com to work on my XP including DosBox. The above instructions with my slight twist makes it work smoothly at last.

Reply 4 of 26, by Makinus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´m tryind to run X-com Apoc in my PCChips g320 notebook and i´m having some problmes, first my computer specifications:
Noteboo PcChips G320
Processor Via 1.0ghz
Memory: 256 RAM (shared with video, that uses 32mb)
HD: 30gb
Dos Emulator: DosBox 0.62

My problem is that the game works, but it is too slow (i´m using 14000 cpu cycles and 0 frameskip) and when i put any value other tha 0 at the frameskipping setting of dosbox the mouse don´t work....

If i change the core setting of dosbox from normal to dynamic (some posts state that this increase the speed) the game simply don´t load...

If i try to run the game whitout dosbox, only using the compatibility settings of XP (256 colors, win95 eulation, etc.) the screen goes dark and the game simply don´t run...

btw: i deactived the sound of the game, but it didn´t improve the speed...

Any hints on how i can improve the game speed? While it works with Dosbox 0.62 with 14.000 cpu cyccles and 0 frameskipping it is too slow to be playable....

Reply 5 of 26, by KYKYLLIKA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running win 2K, also desperately want to run one of my favourite games, x-com Apoc. To install it I used dosbox, here's what I've done:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
mount c c:\ -freesize 1028
mount d d:\ -t cdrom

d:
(this gets me into my cdrom directory)
install.exe
(runs the install program)
then it will all work fine if your dosbox config suits the game.

I have installed it allright, but it doesn't yet run, I'll check the way posted here and see if it works or needs improvement.

Now... I tried to run the game as it says above, but it just crashes to windows.

Edit once more.
I have managed to blend two of the versions I have and get them working with mouse 2k fix. However, if I try using sound it clutters and the game clutters too. The fixes suggested in this topic didn't have much effect, so the game runs smoothly under win2k, but with no sound (it's a positive if you like listening to your winamp playlist). One other fallback is that the final game ends up in a language another than English.... and I have no idea how to patch it back into English (although I can read it allright, it's of use only to me and those who understand this language, thus I would prefer English). Any suggestions?

Just for the sake of it, I decided to help those who have managed to run their Xcom and now can have some fun with it.
The first and the only raid target for the first day should be Marsec. Preferably factories. It starts off neutral to you, and this is good. Get as many stun grabbers as you need to equip everyone with one grabber and the snipers with two each. get everything off the soldiers and get two storage units on your plane. Go to a marsec factory of your choice. Get a stun grenade for each of your soldiers if it is a big one. and choose "capture the building" (the button with a building in a target cross). Tactics is simple. Those guys won't shoot you, so you will just go around and stun them. Use your snipers to stun as much as possible, and only use the snap shots and always close-up. Those guys won't get hurt or die. so the organization will not get hostile or loose any money, but you will get lots of stuff. Those guys tend to get into groups of few and run for the exit. when one of your snipers gets a group down, put a couple of backuppers around there to collect any weapons (because if a loaded weapon ends up on the ground by the end o mission, the ammunition loaded in it will be lost, and a plasma clip is already alot to lose) and also keep a couple backuppers around a pile of sunned bodies in case they recover to stun them again. You probably will not be able to get everything out of there, but it is allright, whatever you get out is much already. This way you will have trained reaction and accuracy of your units, the snipers must get the most, as they will be using the plasmaguns to shoot those annoying brainsuckers and poppers while your terminators get the humanoids away. Be sure to use unoffensive mode (blue one) on those "friendly" raids. This way you will ensurre that no one of your soldiers accidentally kills someone with a rocket launcher. Now. Why Marsec you ask? Easy: they have more good weapons than Megapol on their factories and you may also get some marsec armour bodies (they also have more megapol plasma pistols than any other). Megapol, on the other hand, tends to have some Ellerium (about half a thousand units per raid) which is quite good if you're using plasma cannons on your aircraft. Raid them often. Very often. By the end of the week you might get some few hundred cannons and laser rifles along with rocket launchers, don't sell plasmagun clips, or sell a little so you have a few dozens of them. Also there is another thing that comes with Marsec factories, which is called mind shield. It was in the beta version, but attempted to be cut out of the game for release, however it is still there. You can't look it up in UFOPaedia, and it is not sold, but it still works and can be found. This little tool is always handy, use it every mission, would it be a friendly raid or a UFO crash, just turn it on (place in hand and click, it will have a white box around it) and leave it there until the end, don't turn off, after four missions see what has happened to the person who used it... then give it to another person for another four missions. By the time you have your first alien encounter you must have lots of weapons and ammunition, use as you see fit, always give your snipers plasmaguns until you get devastator cannons and then until you have toxine c. This is the way to go with your money/rating earning. The first day of second week, sell everything you don't need, this way the prices will not drop until the third week and you will get a huge amount of money. If you want, you can raid Cultists and a few gangs to get lots of psi-clones, another form of "currency" they are numerous and cost a little over 4k each, you will get a hundred clones soon enough as well as you will have cultists in a huge negative balance (considering the amount of ammunition you must have from your Marsec suppliers).

... For no creatures under God are as we are, yet none as much as Him as ourselves.

Reply 6 of 26, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got the x-com collector's edition and am unable to install Apoc, even after changing compatibility to win 95, 256 colors, etc. The screen just goes blank.

Even tried D-fend v2. How can I get the game installed?

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM
Leadtek GeForce 8800GTX vid card

Reply 7 of 26, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My bad. The error message I get from Dfend is Cannot open l:\xcom3\xcom3. My cd drive is y:

Intel P4 2.4G
738 MB RAM
a few gigs free HD space
Leadtek GEforce 4 card

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM

Reply 8 of 26, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mount l y:\ -t cdrom -usecd <number>

To know what number to put as -usecd parameter....

mount -cd

*** Just because you we are talking about using DOSBox here...

*** Moving to DOSBox Games/Apps. ***

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 10 of 26, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using a front-end like D-Fend you don't need to type nothing. Just make sure you are instructing it to the proper drive letters when mounting everything.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 26, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK i'll look for config settings in Dfend. I got the "Cannot open l:\xcom3\xcom3" fron Dfend.

I'm trying to use Dfend to install the game as a straight install didn't work.

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM

Reply 12 of 26, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I configured dfend to use my cd drive. During load, Dfend saw my cd drive correctly but I still got the exact same error. Cannot open l:\xcom3\xcom3

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM

Reply 13 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try mounting the hard drive and CD and then running the installer from the CD instead of the game from the hard drive. Then, reinstall using those mount settings. Then try playing using those same mount settings.

It's possible that the game was installed under a weird drive configurationand that it may be too much trouble to try to replicate the settings.

Reply 17 of 26, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I'm getting somewhere. The installer is running, albeit without mouse control. No problem as I can use the keyboard for now.

Now the problem is that the free space on my mounted drives are wrong. the installer only sees 105MB when I have at least 1 gig free.

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM

Reply 18 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a parameter you can give to the mount command to specify how much free space to report. It's listed in the DOSBox readme.txt. Something like -freesize I think.

Reply 19 of 26, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm now unable to find a place for -freesize 1028 in dfend. tried adding to the setup parameter in the profile setting tab but setup just hangs.

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM