VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by daveyablon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

How can I get VDMsound to work on the two Access games "Crime Wave" and "Mean Streets" when sound is configured there is no sound and unless you turn off the sound in the game options it plays extremely slow and buggy!

Thanks a million,

Dave Y.😜

"Sierra's not dead it's just now sucks!"

Reply 1 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yarr! Be patient, my friend! Within the next month, the new version of DOSBox that supports RealSound will be released, and you can hear the crappy audio through your actual sound system! (It sounds really, err, crappy. Not the fault of Harekiet, though I DID suggest he add an EQ so it wasn't QUITE so bad. Yes, it really is this terrible. 😜) I pushed Harekiet into giving me some fresh binaries and it works extremely well. Played Mean Streets for a while, got bored (too easily, I might add) and quit. (Where's the damn save option!?)

The reason for it not working (or, rather, working reaaalllly slowly) is that RealSound was a reeeally bad hack that relied on direct access to the PC timer and speaker and stuff that just doesn't exist in Windows NT/2K/XP (or Windows 95/98/ME, for that matter).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"working"? Uh, I didn't realise there was one that didn't. I mean, anyone that doesn't use UAE is an idiot, really, since it just rules over the rest, plain and simple. The BIGGER problem is finding the games. (Are you sure these were released for the Amiga? heh)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover
[B...The BIGGER problem is finding the games. (Are you sure these were released for the Amiga? heh)

Yes, both of these Access classics were released for the Amiga. IIRC, American Amiga owners got hosed as they were only released in Europe. Before you ask, No. Neither of these is available at Back2theRoots as they apparently haven't received permission That might not actually be possible as the Amiga versions were programmed by European coders who only had tangential connections to Access (USA), Since that time , Microsoft swallowed them up.
http://www.back2roots.org/Docs/Reviews/Compan … 20Software%2C1/

While it sounds conspiratorial, there really was a concentrated effort on keeping the "market" PC-only. Most companies simply felt more comfortable with the user-base for it than any other machine.

Oh, there was also an Amiga version of Origin's "Wing Commander" that was "for sale in Europe only" as well. This was actually quite impressive as not only was texture-mapping murder on Amiga's graphics chips (planar- graphics based), but they also had to drop the palette down to 32 colors so all Amigas could run it (presuming you had at least 14MHz).

Funny thing happened though, the demo for the European version found it's way to the U.S.. Origin was plenty hacked off as they had flat-out told Amiga owners that they weren't supporting them anymore in anyway, then this demo shows up and their phonelines get flooded with requests to get the Amiga "Wing Commander" (which they now know exists...).

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Realsound sounded really good for PC Speaker much better than PC Speaker itself...

They're in my head They're in my head!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline