VOGONS

Got a 5x86-100GP and a VL/I486SV2GX4 for FREE

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 25, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking the same thing after watching that video.
Seems strange that it should load MSCDEX that slowly simply due to slightly wrong jumper settings.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 22 of 25, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, indeed the turbo wasn't ON. BUT, Here is a video with the turbo enabled :

http://youtu.be/k53ikBoOuLc

Reply 23 of 25, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another issue I jut found since I can now consistently boot on drive A:. I can't boot from the harddrive 🙁 I can access it, fdisk it, format it, etc, but when I remove the floppy, nothing happens after post. no message, nothing. The computer is not hanged, it just doesn't do anything.

I am using a 250gb HDD. the bios is configured at a 2gb LBA drive. DOS sees it as a 8gb drive. maybe there is my problem, not sure.

Reply 24 of 25, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you got a smaller drive to test with, or perhaps a CF-IDE adapter + CF card?
Have you limited the drive capacity via a jumper on the HDD?
Larger, more modern drives can be difficult to get to work on older controllers.
Hope you find a way to get the system up and running properly soon 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 25 of 25, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LunarG wrote:
1. Have you got a smaller drive to test with, or perhaps a CF-IDE adapter + CF card? 2. Have you limited the drive capacity via […]
Show full quote

1. Have you got a smaller drive to test with, or perhaps a CF-IDE adapter + CF card?
2. Have you limited the drive capacity via a jumper on the HDD?
Larger, more modern drives can be difficult to get to work on older controllers.
Hope you find a way to get the system up and running properly soon 😀

1. : No
2. : No, the drive does not have that option.

What is the most common drive combo you guys use on these retro stuff ?

I'm using the same HDD on the Biostar build, without any issue...