VOGONS

Reply 20 of 55, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had also problems with ct-voice.drv in a SB16 (too big so it leaved not enough memory free), so I hacked a SB-Pro ct-voice.drv to avoid detection of hardware. It worked but I lost the file due to hard disk failure.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 22 of 55, by QuantumCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same problem, I downloaded the SB pro CT-1600 driver and it still gives me 'unable to open CT-VOICE.DRV'

EDIT:
I'm using DOSbox 0.74, the CT-VOICE.DRV is 5kB, the DOS box settings for sound are:
sbtype=sbpro2
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

in the autoexec section I added "SET SOUND=C:\SBPRO\DRV"
(This is where the CT-VOICE.DRV is located)

Reply 23 of 55, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Use "SET SOUND=C:\SBPRO", the game adds the DRV subfolder to the path from the environment variable.

FYI, some SB16 versions of CT-VOICE.DRV (around 20Kb in size), now work with this and other games in current source.

Reply 24 of 55, by QuantumCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I was going to say that I couldn't find an SB16 driver package with a CT-VOICE.DRV, but I was wrong.

I used this driver (20k) but I still get bounced (unable to open CT-VOICE.DRV). I'm I missing something? I thought I did my homework well 🙁

BTW if I don't use the whole path for "SET SOUND=xxxx", IUC returns 'unable to install sound driver'

Reply 25 of 55, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Put the CT-1600 (SBPro2) version of CT-VOICE.DRV in C:\SBPRO\DRV, then "SET SOUND=C:\SBPRO", use the settings you mentioned before, run the game.

The SB16 versions of the driver will only work with a development build of DOSBox, it won't work with 0.74, so use the SB Pro 2 version.

Reply 26 of 55, by QuantumCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😊 You are absolutely right! My bad, mea culpa. 😊

I used the 5k CT-VOICE.DRV from the SBPRO2 (CT1600)
and lost the 'DRV' in the SET SOUND line.

I think I misinterpreted the error as 'driver is available, but unusable'... where it meant 'unavailable'

😊again, mea culpa😊

and MANY THANKS!!!!!!

Reply 27 of 55, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I kind of hate to revive a thread that hasn't been posted to in over a year, but can anyone verify my level of success with getting the sound to work in Innocent Until Caught?

I've got a 3kb version of CT-VOICE.DRV in the DRV directory in the game folder, and I've created a custom batch file to include the SET SOUND parameter to point to it. Running the setup utility lets me select the soundblaster card or the roland/soundblaster option, but both give me only the music and no sound effects. I've tried changing the SB type from SB16 to SBPRO2 and SBPRO1, to no avail.

To be clear, when I open the game, the sound effects I expect to hear would be one accompanying the ship flying through space and one for when the main character's ship lands on the planet (I imagine a "whooosh" of some sort would be appropriate). Do these sound effects even exist, or have I got it working as well as possible?

I've seen some mention of a specific CT-VOICE.DRV created just for use with IUC, and I've also seen mention of a 20kb CT-VOICE.DRV that works with newer versions of DOSBox, but I can't find anywhere to download it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

System info (for what it's worth):
Windows 7 64 bit
DOSBox 0.74

Please let me know if this has already been answered in a previous thread, I searched but was unable to find anything.

Thanks

Reply 29 of 55, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjps86 wrote:
I've got a 3kb version of CT-VOICE.DRV in the DRV directory in the game folder, and I've created a custom batch file to include […]
Show full quote

I've got a 3kb version of CT-VOICE.DRV in the DRV directory in the game folder, and I've created a custom batch file to include the SET SOUND parameter to point to it. Running the setup utility lets me select the soundblaster card or the roland/soundblaster option, but both give me only the music and no sound effects. I've tried changing the SB type from SB16 to SBPRO2 and SBPRO1, to no avail.

To be clear, when I open the game, the sound effects I expect to hear would be one accompanying the ship flying through space and one for when the main character's ship lands on the planet (I imagine a "whooosh" of some sort would be appropriate). Do these sound effects even exist, or have I got it working as well as possible?

I've seen some mention of a specific CT-VOICE.DRV created just for use with IUC, and I've also seen mention of a 20kb CT-VOICE.DRV that works with newer versions of DOSBox, but I can't find anywhere to download it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

System info (for what it's worth):
Windows 7 64 bit
DOSBox 0.74

I am having this exact same problem. I have the game in c:\games\innocent\iuc I have a folder in the folder named "drv"; I have a .bat file that says "set sound=c:\games\innocent\iuc" and then runs that game. I have "soundblaster" set in set_iuc.exe. The game runs and I hear music but there don't seem to be any sound effects at all.

I've tried the SBPro ct-voice.drv and the SB16 ct-voice.drv but the game won't load either of those. What am I missing here?

Reply 30 of 55, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Getting proper sound blaster sound to work with this game in DOSBox is a complete pain in the butt, so I am going to take the time and write out a complete guide to making it work right now. Settle in folks, this is going to take a while.

Step 0: Download DOSBox and make sure you understand mounting commands (to mount your hard drive AND the CD image)

Step 1: Create an image file and place it wherever you prefer to keep your disk images, such as C:\IMAGES, or alternately insert your actual game disc into your computer's CD drive

Step 2: Download a soundblaster driver that the game will ACTUALLY work with. Where do you get such a file? How about right here: http://www.4shared.com/file/RDyX6vDBba/CT-VOICE.html?

Step 3: If you haven't already, create a folder on your hard drive that will serve as your virtual C drive that DOSBox will see as your root C drive. A good suggestion used by many is "C:\DOSGAMES" as DOSBox plays nicely with folders and files with eight or less characters in their names.

Step 4: In your DOSGAMES folder (or whatever you chose to call it), place the CT-VOICE.DRV file in a folder named "DRV" (minus the quotes, naturally)

Step 5: Start DOSBox

Step 6: Type "mount C C:\

Step 7: Now mount your disc image. Type the following: imgmount D C:\IMAGES\GAMEIMAGE.BIN -t cdrom (where GAMEIMAGE.BIN is the name of your disc image, including the file extension)

Step 8: Now switch to your virtual C drive, which DOSBox will view as a regular C drive, by typing: C:\ and pressing enter

Step 9: To tell DOSBox where to find your shiny new Soundblaster driver, type: SET SOUND=C:\ and press enter, then type: SBTYPE=SB2 and press enter

Step 9: Switch to your D drive by typing D:\

Step 10: To start the setup process, type SET_IUC and press enter. Wait for the screen to load, then arrow down to the sound options and hit the space bar until it reaches SOUNDBLASTER. Once there, press escape to leave, making sure to press Y when prompted to save the settings (if you look at your DOSGAMES directory you will see a folder labelled INNOCENT appear there, with a file called INNOCENT.INI inside.

Step 11: The setup menu will exit and kick you back to the command prompt. You are almost there. Pat yourself in the back, wipe the sweat from your brow, and type IUC and hit enter. Select your language and the game will start. With any luck, the game will function normally with sound. You will know you have a fully functional sound setup if, when the white spaceship is landing at the spaceport on the planet, the landing jets make a SHHHHHHHHHHH sound. Some sound drivers will play the music but not the digital effects such as this one, so be wary of this. Note, there is apparently NO sound to the ship flying through space (I know, I know, scientific accuracy and all that, but I EXPECT some things from a cheesy nineties adventure game and this is one of them. I guess Psygnosis cheaped out on the CD version of the game though as they also didn't include any voice acting...for better or for worse).

Once you have completed the setup process (Step 10), you can skip that step and go straight to Step 11.

Hopefully this will help anyone trying to get this game running. Enjoy!

Last edited by kjps86 on 2014-09-06, 02:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 55, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Game copies are not supported, please change your guide accordingly...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 32 of 55, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wow! Thank you so much for that guide! I followed it and everything seems to be working properly! I guess the main problem was the driver I was using...Strange that it worked for the music but not the sound. What a pain but I'm happy to have the game working properly...Been wanting to play it again for a long time now.

Humourously enough though, it seems like after all that there really aren't all that many sound effects in the game....

Reply 34 of 55, by thefixer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Follow carefully all these steps and you will get Innocent Until Caught to work with Sound Blaster effects. Some steps in this guide can be changed or omitted, but follow them all if you want to be safe.

Essentially, the 5 main things you need to do are:
-- use text edit to add a line of code to AUTOEXEC.BAT
-- retrieve the proper Sound Blaster driver called CT-VOICE.DRV
-- install the .EXE driver file in the \DRV subdirectory to extract the coveted CT-VOICE.DRV
-- edit the Dosbox .conf file to match the emulated Sound Blaster driver Dosbox uses with the new CT-VOICE.DRV driver you installed
-- find the creator of this game and piss all over the inside of his car

1 ) Once you know which directory you will create to mount as C:\, add a subdirectory for this game called "iuc" so when you start Dosbox and have mounted C:\ you type "cd iuc" and you will have access to the game files.

2 ) Extract Innocent Until Caught to this iuc directory.

3 ) Open the iuc directory. There should be a folder called "DRV" there, if not then create it. If the folder was already there then open it and rename the 2.5kb CT-VOICE.DRV file to "CT-VOICE.bak" as this file is likely not good. The CT-VOICE.DRV is the key Sound Blaster driver that you want, but you need the correct file, and there are different driver files in existence with the exact same name. The kb filesize will help you see how they differ.

4 ) Right-click the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, probably called "IUC.BAT" and edit it with a text editor. (In case you don't know how to do this just search Google for help on text editing .bat files)

5 ) Add the words "SET SOUND=C:\iuc" somewhere and save. Mine looked like this:

@echo off
SET SOUND=C:\iuc
if exist innocent.ini goto installed

(Very important: the readme.txt file says you also need to add a line saying "SET BLASTER=" but do not add this line as it will mess things up. If someone knows how to make this feature work, please let us know.)

6 ) Open Dosbox, type "cd iuc" to change the directory to the game. Then type "SET_IUC.EXE" to access the setup file (it might be called a different name). Once in that bluish screen press tab till you get to the "Soundcard:" box and press spacebar until you see "Soundblaster". Press escape,
then press "y" and you will save and exit.

7 ) Search Google for "creative sound blaster" or go directly here:

http://support.creative.com/Products/Products.aspx?catid=1

Scroll to the bottom of the products page and you will see "If your product is not listed above, please click here" and click that link. It will bring you here:

http://support.creative.com/Products/product_list.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster

8 ) You should see a list of products. At the very bottom is a selection called "Others". Click it. It will load 2 more lists called "Current Products" and "Archived Products".

9 ) Scroll down "Archived Products" and click on "Sound Blaster" and then click on "Next" shown below.

10) This page looks very useless, but at the very bottom is a selection area with 3 fields called "Manual Selection". Make these selections:

English
DOS
Driver

Click "Submit"

11) You will now see 6 available downloads. For each one, click "Show Details" to display the file names. We want any one of these following 3 (all 3 will work, but choose only one of them) :

Updated DOS Drivers for SB 1.5 (v1.0)
Filesize : 27.58 KB Download
File Name : SB15DU.EXE

Updated DOS Drivers for SB 2.0 (v1.0) (OLD)
Filesize : 27.59 KB Download
File Name : SB20DU.EXE

Updated DOS Drivers for SBPro 2 (CT-1600) (v1.0) (OLD)
Filesize : 30.74 KB Download
File Name : SBP2DU.EXE

12) Save the download to wherever you have the \iuc\DRV directory. It has to be placed inside the "DRV" directory folder.

13) Open Dosbox, mount your C:\ drive. Type "cd uic\DRV"

14) Type the driver name ( i.e. "SBP2DU.EXE") and press Enter. The driver files will be extracted (installed, whatever you want to call it) to the "DRV" directory. There will now be a few new files there, one of which is the new CT-VOICE.DRV driver which will replace the old one we renamed with ".bak" (note the kb filesize difference).

15. Last step, find and text edit Dosbox-0.74.conf (version name may be different, Google help to locate this file if needed). Scroll down halfway and look for "sbtype=" in the sound blaster section. Depending on the file you chose, make ONLY ONE of the 3 following edits:

If you downloaded SB15DU.EXE then make this edit

sbtype=sb1

for SB20DU.EXE

sbtype=sb2

or,
for SBP2DU.EXE

sbtype=sbpro2

Save and close.

16. Close Dosbox, reopen it.
Mount C:\
Type "cd iud" and Enter
type "IUD.BAT" (or whatever the name is) and Enter

IMPORTANT: You will only start to hear sound effects once you are at the scene when your craft touches down on the landing pad. You will hear rocket sounds.

Voila! I don't even like the sounds really, but I'm glad to finally get this piece of crap to work as it became an obsession.
Don't forget to piss in that guy's car.

Edit:
While the sound effects do work, they seem too seldom in occurance and it still doesn't feel right, so I attempted the following tweaks:
User rfnagel posted some .zip packs with drivers for CT-VOICE.DRV for sb16 as well as for FOOTSTEP.VOC which may or may not be relevant. The file is called mmplay.zip and user priestlyboy posted an earlier version higher up on that forum page with the same name.
Two different mmplay.zip files but with same name to try:

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=8634

Also, SET BLASTER= can be used to set environmental parameters, (i.e. SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4) but fiddling with this didn't change anything. Regardless, a detailed information page for this uh, stuff, can be found at this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124944

also check

http://psygnosis.spokintosh.org/support/iuctech.html

Maybe someone can get these to help, otherwise we're stuck with some crappy sound effects after all this work. It's almost as if they didn't want us to have the sounds. I'm looking into decompiling the game to mess with the code. At this point it just might be easier to add my own sound effects to the game.

ADDITIONAL: There are a ton of drivers on this other Vogons site worth exploring:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=1&menustate=0,0

Reply 36 of 55, by thefixer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:
robertmo wrote:

type=sbpro2

Still nothing. 😢 The only way I can get it running is to set it to adlib in the install.

I recall thar driver's hard coded to use IRQ 5.

Then we might need to add I5 parameter to SET BLASTER= and change the Dosbox .conf file, but I've tried it to no avail.
I added the following (and variations thereof) to the AUTOEXEX.BAT

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T4

based on these explanations from the Creative documenation:

A-- Specifies the Sound Blaster 16 base I/O port
I-- Specifies the Interrupt request line
D-- Specifies the DMA channel
H-- Specifies the HDMA channel
P-- Specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
T-- Specifies the card type
The "T" entry on the Set Blaster line indicates what type of card you have.

This T Entry Means you have this card type
------------------------------------------------
T6 All 16 bit Sound Blaster cards are type 6.
T5 The 8 bit Pro card is type 5.
T4 (card #1600) The SB PRO is type 4.
T3 (card #1350) A parameter of type 3 indicates an old Sound Blaster card
T2 (card #1330) All 8 bit cards are type 2.

Then I made these changes to the .conf Dosbox file:

sbtype=sbpro2
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

However, nothing changed. I have the sound effects with SB, but there should be more. I mean, you hear the taxi honk but you don't hear the pool table sound in the bar. Is it actually supposed to be like that I wonder, or is there more editing we need to do?
----------------

Reply 37 of 55, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Set blaster is produced by DosBox automatically, no need to mess with it. Try sbpro1 as well, see how it goes, also, ct-voice.drv is looked for at a subdirectory called drv of whatever folder is passed in set sound, so, if you have, say, a folder called "creative" with a DRV folder inside that contains ct-voice.drv then there should be a

set sound=C:\creative

somewhere in...say...your [autoexec] section. DosBox will completely ignore autoexec.bat.

Reply 38 of 55, by Narakir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got that whole soundblaster process working, but I'd like to combine it with Roland music and for some reason my game dosen't detect roland drivers. Starting the game after the setup sends me this error "unable to install sound driver", do I need to manually install roland/midi drivers in the game folder like sound blaster and if yes, where can I find them ?

I'm using dosbox 0.74 and munt.

Reply 39 of 55, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Narakir wrote:

I got that whole soundblaster process working, but I'd like to combine it with Roland music and for some reason my game dosen't detect roland drivers. Starting the game after the setup sends me this error "unable to install sound driver", do I need to manually install roland/midi drivers in the game folder like sound blaster and if yes, where can I find them ?

I'm using dosbox 0.74 and munt.

[Edit: No links to warez sites, forums included] that's my post on o-g.ru, but i'm lazy to translate it to english (for now) 😢 SB+Roland MT-32 (munt) works just fine.