VOGONS

Uninstalling DOSBox :(

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by habanerooo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear DOSBox users and developers.

I was happy to download DOSBox to get back to my childhood and play Twinsen's Odyssey once again.

But my laptop started to run at 97% since then. So I decided it was time to say goodbye to the old days and delete DOSBox.

Problem #1: can't find the uninstall.exe file.

I went to Windows Install/Uninstall system, but...

Problem #2: can't find DOSBox in Windows Install/Uninstall system.

Desperately, I did a major backup.

Problem #3: not only DOSBox is still there like a cancer, it won't run or anything what-so-ever.

Googled solutions and found a "Perfect Uninstaller" program.

Problem #4: Perfect Uninstaller doesn't find DOSBox.

So I have DOSBox files that don't work, my computer is still running at 97% and I can't get rid of DOSBox. It was great to play that game again, but it's now damaging my laptop. What can I do?

Reply 1 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox does not make any registry entries nor does it copy anything into system directories outside of the Start Menu and the %AppData%\DOSBox folders. That is why it does not show in the uninstall list; it does not make the registry entry to be added to the list. You can uninstall it by running the uninstaller in the program's folder or the uninstall shortcut in the Start Manu. That is at least if you got the official download from http://www.dosbox.com. If you got it from some unknown source then who knows what you downloaded.

Last edited by collector on 2014-09-04, 05:16. Edited 1 time in total.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 11, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah.... I really don't think you know what you are saying. DOSbox isn't what is "destroying" your laptop, most likely you downloaded something else malicious. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If by 97% you mean CPU utlization and if so you must be referring to a single processor system?

Go into task manager and view what is using up your CPU cycles.

If DOSBox isn't being used then it will not affect your system.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder how many people have 1980s DOS era viruses lurking on their DOSbox installations...

This almost happened to me as I was imaging/copying my dad's old floppy disks. My antivirus software flagged a file as infected with an ancient virus. The dilemma: preserve a perfect image of the floppy, virus and all, or get rid of the infected file? I think I kept it on there...

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 6 of 11, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm I never even thought about that. Then again I've never even come across anything from that era that my antivirus took up an issue with.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

With a virus on it, it's not a perfect image 😉

Never caught a virus yet...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper