Topic actions

First post, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games with Glide 2.1.1 (glide1x) are:
Cybergladiators.
Mechwarriors 2: 31st Century Combat (OEM 3dfx cd).
Outlaws (patch 1.1 and later). Path 2.0 adds the glide2x support.
Pandemonium!
Pod (version 2.1.0.0). Later versions support glide2x.
Scorched Planet.
SimCopter (patch 1.02).
Speedboat Attack (version 1.0). Version 1.5 supports glide2x.
Tigershark (version 1.0). Glide2x is supported in the patch.
Time Warriors. There is the glide2x executable.

I have tested these games with WinME. Test PC is Pentium4 3.2E/Asus P4P800 SE/2 GB RAM (with MaxPhysPage fix to 512 MB)/ATi Rage 128 Pro Ultra+Voodoo2 12 MB. Voodoo2 drivers are 3.02.02. Glide.dll (crc32 - 0e111709) and sst1init.dll (crc32 - 1a760ba4) are from 21 Jan 1997.

Results are vary.
Cybergladiators - no intro. The game itself is working.
Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Voodoo Graphics Edition - error 50.
Outlaws - all is working perfectly.
Pandemonium! - heavy visual glitches. Glide.dll and sst1init.dll on cd are same as above.
Pod 2.0 - wait cursor 5-7 seconds then the podx3dfx.exe process just stacks in RAM.
Scorched Planet - ctd (in <unknown>). The installer can't detect Voodoo2, so maybe this game needs more than the copying of the VOODOO directory content from the game cd to the gamedir... Again there are glide.dll (c8ec5195), sst1init.dll (81decd3d) and fxmemmap.vxd (ff6579ba) on the cd (24/25 Jul 1996).
SimCopter - not tested.
Speedboat Attack - not tested.
Tigershark - this game isn't starting (program window disappears after 0.5 second).
Time Warriors - "No 3d card detected". Glide.dll (d8905f6a) and sst1init.dll (fa8ec724) are included on the cd (23 Jan 1997).

I have tested with and without SST variables from V2-auto.inf. And with all 3 glide.dll/sst1init.dll versions.

Is there anyone who knows how to run these games on Voodoo2?

Attachments

• MW2.JPG
    Filename
    MW2.JPG
    File size
    12.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • TimeWarriors.JPG
    Filename
    TimeWarriors.JPG
    File size
    12.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • ScorchedPlanet.JPG
    Filename
    ScorchedPlanet.JPG
    File size
    11.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Gamecollector on 2019-11-02, 01:22. Edited 6 times in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 1 of 30, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only tested Mechwarrior 2 of that bunch, and it will run with no glitches.

Why even test POD and Tigersharks when they got newer 3DFX Glide patches making it the obvious route if you want to play those games? (Less hassle)

I haven't tested the others, but if I recall correctly I got Scorched Planet to run. Can't remember the details though, so don't quote me on it.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Only tested Mechwarrior 2 of that bunch, and it will run with no glitches.

Why even test POD and Tigersharks when they got newer 3DFX Glide patches making it the obvious route if you want to play those games? (Less hassle)

Maybe he doesn't understand why they wouldn't have been working out of the box in the first place?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 30, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have found several more glide.dll/sst1init.dll sources.
Asghan - files are similar to Time Warriors.
Joint Strike Fighter - there are 2 versions: Win95 and WinNT. Win95 version is similar to Pandemonium! plus there is fxmemmap.vxd (crc32 429e2479) dated 21 Jul 1997. WinNT version has different sst1init.dll (3868bff7) and 3 drivers: genport.sys (b254c362), mapmem.sys (9ae5b432), ntremap.sys (4a6bc164). Drivers date is 21 Jul 1997. The trouble is - there are glide 2.1.1 and glide 2.4x files in this game so - these drivers can be for glide 2.4x...
Glide 2.1.1 SDK (from falconfly.de). Again there are 2 versions. Glide.dll and Win95 sst1init.dll are same as Asghan/Time Warriors. Plus there are fxmemmap.vxd (91231323, 21 Jan 1997), WinNT sst1init.dll (b8bd827f, 23 Jan 1997), genport.sys (b254c362, 17 Jan 1997) and mapmem.sys (9a042d3a, 17 Jan 1997).

Reply 4 of 30, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried dgVoodoo? It supports GLIDE 2.1.1 and works with most DX7 class hardware.

SST1INIT.DLL/GLIDE.DLL are not meant for anything other than Voodoo1. There are list of 3Dfx env vars for a Voodoo2 to emulate Voodoo1 floating around in the web which you can google it by yourself. If this works, then you're good. For me, that doesn't work reliably when I used to have Canopus 3D2. Frankly, Voodoo2 is only good for Glide 2.4x or beyond.

What I had also done in the past was to create a stub GLIDE.DLL to redirect GLIDE calls from GLIDE 2.11 to GLIDE 2.4x. It worked with MechWarrior 2 3Dfx almost perfectly. Unfortunately, I lost the work due to HDD crash and since dgVoodoo came to the rescue, I void the plan to recreate the work. All I really care back then was MechWarrior 2 3Dfx, and dgVoodoo had been able to do it beautifully.

Reply 5 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote:

What I had also done in the past was to create a stub GLIDE.DLL to redirect GLIDE calls from GLIDE 2.11 to GLIDE 2.4x. It worked with MechWarrior 2 3Dfx almost perfectly. Unfortunately, I lost the work due to HDD crash and since dgVoodoo came to the rescue, I void the plan to recreate the work. All I really care back then was MechWarrior 2 3Dfx, and dgVoodoo had been able to do it beautifully.

Cool! I still remember your post to OpenGlide requesting Glide 2.11 support. I seem to recall nagging Fabio to try to get your patch applied. Can't remember where we left that, I _think_ it was applied. Sadly, development pretty much stopped several years back...
http://sourceforge.net/p/openglide/feature-requests/3/

nGlide is another very good closed-source wrapper. Zeus's nGlide Compatibility List is awesome.

If you ever do recreate your stub DLL, let me know - I'd like to incorporate it in our Wrapper Collection Project. 😀
The Wrapper Collection Project

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 30, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another glide 2.1.1 game was found - SimCopter (with 1.02 patch). Well, the glide mode is demo only - free flight w/o actual tasks.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2015-12-26, 01:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

Another glide 2.1.1 game was founded - SimCopter (with 1.02 patch). Well, the glide mode is demo only - free flight w/o actual tasks.

No kidding, I thought they'd all been found! 😀

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 30, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

I certainly know joint strike fighter ran fine with a voodoo 2, theres even a 800x600 option

Because Joint Strike Fighter is glide 2.4x game and uses glide2x.dll.
But - it installs glide.dll and sst1init.dll in the system. So - this game is included as the glide2.1.1 dlls source.

Reply 11 of 30, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"New" glide1x game was found. Speedboat Attack. Read this post.

Reply 12 of 30, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So majority of them eventually got updates to Glide2x. Excluding non-playable demo, only 4 really require Glide 2.1.1.

• Cybergladiators
  • Mechwarriors 2: 31st Century Combat
  • Pandemonium!
  • Scorched Planet

QEMU Glide pass-through supports unique Glide2.1.1 -> Glide2x conversion. Mech2 and Pandy1 were tested and even run with acceleration, that implies state-of-the-art CPU performance for those games. Despite the issue of jumpjets slow recharge rate, Mech2 is amazing playing with such CPU power. I am not as familiar with Pandy1 as with Mech2, but the few first rounds played very well. Cybergladiators and Scorched Planet are last on the list that I haven't checked out.

Perhaps, those games now afford more CPU/GPU power on emulation than on Voodoo2/retro PC 😁

Reply 13 of 30, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 1 theory about constant "grSstQueryHardware failed!".
P4P800 SE, WinME.
Pcirw.exe from the glide 2.1.1 SDK detects Intel PCI devices only.
Pcirw.exe from the glide 2.43 SDK detects all. But there is the "bus id" column. With 00 for Intel PCI devices, 01 for AGP and 02 for PCI slots...
Maybe glide.dll uses the similar approach (bus_id 00 only) and then grSstQueryBoards and grSstQueryHardware fail the detection.

Reply 14 of 30, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you're right. I seem to recall similar conclusion tracing glide.dll/sst1init.dll that it only search for PCI device on Bus 0 only. Not surprising since the era of 1st Voodoo, all chipsets in consumer's space had Bus 0 for PCI, and PCI bus was the same bus that connected North and South bridges.

Reply 15 of 30, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Gamecollector Are you still interested in testing Glide 2.1.1 games on the Voodoo2?
Recent GNU GCC toolchain improvements make writing redirection DLL very simple. I just cooked up a full implementation of Glide 2.1.1 wrapper that wraps into Glide 2.4, ie. glide.dll -> glide2x.dll. It allows me to play Mechwarrior 2 31st 3Dfx on Linux (..finally.. yeah 😁)from QEMU KVM with MESA GL pass-through with Zeckensack's Glide wrapper. Pandemonium! also works. I thought I may as well share it out for others to check out for those games on Voodoo2/Banshee/V3/V4/V5.

It requires SSE2 capable CPUs because it was compiled with GCC vector intrinsics for pixel formats conversion dealing with LFB for games that do not make use of Voodoo native LFB write mode which is RGB565. Mechwarrior 2 31st happens to be one, it uses RGB555, so it supports this game.

If anyone would like to try the wrapper on older CPUs, let me know. I can recompile the wrapper with MMX or just plain i686.

Update: Attach both SSE2 and i586 version of GLIDE.DLL

Attachments

• Filename
    glide.dll.zip
    File size
    16.5 KiB
    Downloads
    164 downloads
    File comment
    Glide 2.1.1 wrapper
    File license
Last edited by kjliew on 2020-04-01, 20:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 30, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2020-04-01, 05:58:
@Gamecollector Are you still interested in testing Glide 2.1.1 games on the Voodoo2? Recent GNU GCC toolchain improvements make […]
Show full quote

@Gamecollector Are you still interested in testing Glide 2.1.1 games on the Voodoo2?
Recent GNU GCC toolchain improvements make writing redirection DLL very simple. I just cooked up a full implementation of Glide 2.1.1 wrapper that wraps into Glide 2.4, ie. glide.dll -> glide2x.dll. It allows me to play Mechwarrior 2 31st 3Dfx on Linux (..finally.. yeah 😁)from QEMU KVM with MESA GL pass-through with Zeckensack's Glide wrapper. Pandemonium! also works. I thought I may as well share it out for others to check out for those games on Voodoo2/Banshee/V3/V4/V5.

It requires SSE2 capable CPUs because it was compiled with GCC vector intrinsics for pixel formats conversion dealing with LFB for games that do not make use of Voodoo native LFB write mode which is RGB565. Mechwarrior 2 31st happens to be one, it uses RGB555, so it supports this game.

If anyone would like to try the wrapper on older CPUs, let me know. I can recompile the wrapper with MMX or just plain i686.

That is amazing! I'd love to try it on older CPUs without SSE2! This would be a dream come through for my Pentium setup with the Voodoo3 PCI!

Reply 18 of 30, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2020-04-01, 07:33:

@vetz Will i686 work for you? It will contain CMOV instructions or you really mean i586.

Actually i686 would work as it's a Pentium Pro setup, but I recon a i586/MMX release would be beneficial as well.

Reply 19 of 30, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, getting rid of CMOV instructions will require switching toolchain because of MSYS2/mingw-w64 CRT startup. And, GCC vectorizer only works with SSE/AVX, the i686/MMX build does not seem to generate codes that make use of MMX instructions. So that's about it, I don't think it is worth to spend more time into hand-tuned MMX assembly.