Common searches

RB3D continued

Topic actions

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OpenGL has something called the "shared texture palette" extension. I'm just downloading the spec now. It should allow all this paletted stuff to be done properly without any frame rate hit. It may even be easy to do.

Reply 5 of 146, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Flybert wrote:

Sir Alexi .. I don't recognize that terrain , have you completed something cool with the terrain editor ?

😁

Nobody picked up on Alexi's first screenies, i've been wondering myself? I bet the AI love flying in those mountains. 😁

Reply 6 of 146, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hentzau wrote:

Nobody picked up on Alexi's first screenies, i've been wondering myself? I bet the AI love flying in those mountains. 😁

I did!!

😁

But, I assumed it was Alsase Region........(??)

Reply 7 of 146, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to threads on various RB-Boards graphics corruptions still seem to be one of the remaining major issues. I still get them regularly, when aircraft or balloons are flamed. I would like to quote the following explanation from the Promised Land Website ( http://www.wingwalkers.org/jasta1/newplmain.htm ):

>>Quote<<

Graphics corruptions - Known issue with graphics in RB2 that sometimes corrupt during gameplay, this is due to the larger more detailed graphics that put a heavier load on your video card, and the routine that RB2 was written to communicate to your video card. In essence, RB2 was made to communicate texture management to Voodoo I, an older Voodoo II cards and will at times get "confused" and display wrong or corrupted graphics with newer Voodoo II cards or better.

Fixes;

None at this time, a few work arounds to the problem are as follows;

Change your settings properties for your 3D video card to limit texture memory to 2 megs (this may have an effect on some peoples framerates, for most though, this is the preferred work around).

Change your ingame screen resolution to another setting, and then back to your original setting.

Alt-Tab and task out of rb2, then Alt-tab and task back into the game.

For those that experience DTD's when trying to alt-tab in and out of rb3d;

Change your ingame screen resolution to a different resolution than that of your desktop.

>>unquote<<

Unfortunately the Alt-Tab function does not work on my sys when using the wrapper.

Reply 8 of 146, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have noticed that with the current version of the wrapper, the occurance of graphic corruption or 'funky black tiles' appears to have lessened. When I do get tile corruption, it is limited to only a few tiles or plane part .bmps. In some balloon busting missions I've had no graphic corruption. This is certainly an improvement from my dedicated RB PC with a Voodoo 5500. Without limiting the texture memory to 2 Megs on the Voodoo, graphic corruptions would not only occur, but would spread until almost the entire landscape and a good deal of the planes would have a notably 'surreal' appearance.

I caution that this is on my machine, so the performance will certainly vary from PC to PC.

Reply 9 of 146, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WilliVonBill wrote:

..........................................................................................
I caution that this is on my machine, so the performance will certainly vary from PC to PC.

I initially thought it's only an issue with my "old" GeForce 2 MX 400. However folks with a Geforce 4 seem to be "suffering" as well.

Check this thread: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/F … TML/000490.html

tn_prvteye has posted a link to a very typical sreenie.

Reply 10 of 146, by Mahoney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Worth stressing that this only happens with 3rd party graphic mods that use larger textures than the ones that RB comes with by default; so if the developer of Glidos wants to reproduce the problem he'll need to install some 3rd party patches on his copy of RB.

A quick way to reproduce the problem:

1) Go to http://www.xs4all.nl/~rensg/terrain.html and click the click here to download all new 3d vol files: Note size = 13.665 KByte (13.7 Mbyte) link. Put all the files into the RedBaron3D\Data\3DPatch folder.

2) Download http://www.wings-of-valor.org/files/patches/flameout.zip from Wings of Valor and stick all the files into RedBaron3D\Data\Simpatch.

Now go and set fire to something - a hangar, balloon or another plane will normally do it. You should get the graphics corruption.

If this could be solved in the Glide wrapper, I believe that I would die a happy man... 😀

Rob

Reply 11 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure this is a bug in RB. It sounds like RB's internal database, holding which textures it has sent to the card, gets corrupted. As far as I know, 3dfx didn't suddenly get things wrong when they brough out voodoo2; they just started to produce cards with more than 2MB of texture memory which tickled the bug. Setting 2MB for the wrapper is not an opiton (at least at the moment) because that will cause frantic glide to OpenGL texture conversions.

It is very unlikely I can fix something in the wrapper if it happens on a voodoo2.

When I get the paletted texture stuff done, then the 2MB setting may be an option; we'll have to see.

Reply 12 of 146, by fperkins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that when flying a Campaign mission, I get slightly slower frame rates, and graphic anomalies (black tiles, etc.) than when I fly a "Fly Now" mission, in which everything looks fine. I disabled my Voodoo2 card, and have my monitor plugged directly into my 64Mb Geforce2 card. I noticed that the latest version of the Wrapper has the texture memory set at 16 in the OpenGlide.ini file. I'll try playing with that setting.

Falcon

Reply 13 of 146, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very strange indeed, years after I released OpenGLide I realized (thanks Stiletto) that it is still used and enhanced, I am very glad to know that.
I will go back working on OpenGLide with Glidos, so maybe we can reach more games.
But I need to say: Thanks a lot for all of you and specially Glidos for ressurecting an old project of mine.

regards,

Fabio Barros

Last edited by Stiletto on 2013-07-30, 04:20. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thought I'd typo-fix my name...

Reply 15 of 146, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, forget about the Tomb Raider fans, I think the Red Baron 3D fans really pumped Glidos up and got it going!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 146, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, Fabio, if you're at all interested, I can hook you up with a forum here for OpenGLide comments, suggestions, improvements, development stuff, et cetera. I hope that it would keep more GLiDOS-specific questions here and then the questions for RB3D et al Windows programs in your section.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 146, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Hey, Fabio, if you're at all interested, I can hook you up with a forum here for OpenGLide comments, suggestions, improvements, development stuff, et cetera. I hope that it would keep more GLiDOS-specific questions here and then the questions for RB3D et al Windows programs in your section.

But they already have a SourceForge forum...

Oh, wait, so does VDMSound, but it uses us instead...

Heheheheh... never mind. 😀

*opinion* Is it me, or is SourceForge a bad place to have a "community"? A good place for file hosting, getting attention to your project from programmers, etc. but a bad place to build a "community"?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 146, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just uploaded another version of OpenGLide. SunGlare (and getting shot) should be okay now without too much of a hit on frame rate.

Hey this should be my last bit of lone OpenGliding. I don't know if everybody has twigged, but Stiletto has located OpenGLide's daddy. Suddenly, OpenGLide has a bright future.