VOGONS

Trembling Joystick

Topic actions

First post, by Alibi

User metadata

Hi,
at first, thanks for this programm/driver/emulator/whatever 😉.
I'm trying to play Wing Commander III with it and it runs well, except one *little* problem: The joystick (Sidewinder Precision Pro @ Gameport) is trembling in random directions like hell.
My os is Win2k with Service Pack 3.
I'm using the latest version of your software.

Thx 4 reading.

Alibi
philip@philiplb.de

Reply 4 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alibi wrote:

That was me.

If you go in Control Panel/Game controllers (or Joystick) and calibrate the joystick, does it also shake a lot? Does it shake in other games as well? Have you played with the min/maxCoord values (in LaunchPad's advanced properties/Joystick, or in VDMS.INI if not using LaunchPad)? Also, how stable are other things in the game (e.g. animation, music)?

V.

Reply 5 of 20, by Alibi

User metadata
vladr wrote:

If you go in Control Panel/Game controllers (or Joystick) and calibrate the joystick, does it also shake a lot? Does it shake in other games as well? Have you played with the min/maxCoord values (in LaunchPad's advanced properties/Joystick, or in VDMS.INI if not using LaunchPad)? Also, how stable are other things in the game (e.g. animation, music)?

V.

In the Control Panel everything is fine, also in other games (Last one was Freespace2).
And yes, a played arround with this values but with no effect.
The game itself seems to be stable so far. One thing is a little strange: I haven't copied the movies on hdd and they are lagging like hell. But this could be a scratch on the cd or something as the rest is/seems stable.

Reply 6 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So can we conclude that this is a WCIII-specific issue (i.e. does not affect other DOS games that you have and that support joystick?) Also, is there any (intense) hard-disk, network (if running the game off a network drive) or CD-rom activity while the cursor is jumping around, and does the cursor calm down as this activity calms down?

V.

Reply 7 of 20, by Alibi

User metadata

Hi, thx 4 the support at first. 😀
Would be sad if WC3 only would be affected, I haven't tested other dos games. There is no network activity (Except the internet connection) and nothing other. Harddisc.. Hm, I wouldn't say, that a download with a speed about 25KB on another hdd could be the reason.

Reply 13 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

You can't find Kilrathi Saga for less than 0.00 anywhere.

I found mine for about $12, but admittedly that was a while back. I won't provide a link, but if you search for "Kilrathi Saga" and underdogs...

Not entirely sure if WC3 is in there...

Reply 15 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

(Finally registered - was about time)
well, I tried with my original Version of WC3 and couldn't get it to run. With the patch for the joystick I found on the link I gave above there is no trembling and I can install the game just fine, only it refuses to run, saying it might have a corrupted CD (says this on all 4 CDs).
Damn.
Any idea why it won't work for me but works for Alibi on W2k SP3?
Might it be related to my SCSI system? Some caching problem?

Edit: I just tried with my Windows ME boot and it runs fine there. Strange it seems to work on W2k SP3 but not XP...

Edit: It helps even more to enable the CD-Rom driver in config.nt 😀

Last edited by Dominus on 2002-10-03, 11:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, so far it seems to work fine but only in vga mode.
To start "yet another svga/vesa" thread:
Is it impossible to play with 640x480x8 in XP? Or is that a driver/monitor issue?
The problem is that when I try to play it in Svga mode the screen is all screwed up like it is on too much Hz. But in ME it works just fine.
The VGA mode of the game is just ugly as hell...

Reply 17 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a Windows version? I'm confused now...
(you shouldn't need to do anything to CONFIG.NT if it's a Windows game, and you shouldn't be messing with ACT if it's a DOS program.) I just posted a thing to get BUILD games working with XP and VDMSound, and I bet that this is a similar problem. So, just read this post and follow its instructions. Of course, replace all the DUKE3D references with WC3. 😀 Note that this is only for you Dominius, and not for you, Alibi. (Sorry!)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 18 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry, I was probably confusing you (might be time for another thread).
The WC3 I'm talking about is the old, original Dos version.
It provides good looking SVGA graphics (in 640x480x8) and as an alternative crappy looking vga graphics (320x240x8).
I can't get the SVGA to work as the screen is immediately distorted (like it was run with incompatible refresh rates). I think I spend all day in getting the Vesa mode correct and finally gave up (using all kind of univbe version (5.0 up to 7.xbeta), nolfb, vesafix for 3dfx and a lot of other stuff).
For now I gave up and I started to look into this anyway just out of curiosity.
In ME the SVGA work fine.

Now if someone could rip the relevant files from the Kilrathi Saga package to run it Windows natively.... 😀