VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always feel guilty when I do this but today I boxed up and put away my PCjr and all it's compatible software (which is not much). I like the machine and I would never think of getting rid of it but... when it really comes down to it it's really nothing more than a giant desk ornament, a conversation piece. When I have it out and set up it just sits there unused due to it's annoying incompatibilities and lack of upgrade paths. So today I decided I wanted my desk space back again and I was going to do something about all the techno clutter. So I boxed it up and packed up a bunch of my other stuff and put it back into storage off in an unused and seldom visited part of the house where I keep most things I either haven't got to yet or simply needed to get out of my living area. I find the magic has really worn off for the most part and it feels like more of a historical boat anchor. 🤣
I find I get more enjoyment out of using the machines I grew up using like my Packard Bell (Which I'm sure you are all sick of me talking about by now. 😜 ) but I think I would still get a real DOS machine like a 486 or something. I guess I'm losing my enthusiasm for the 8 bit era of computing a bit. My C64 and C64C sit in storage right now also because they are a bit of a pain to use and I don't have much software for them, but mainly because they weren't my era I guess. I have no feelings for them. Don't get me wrong, their fucking cool and I fully intend to get more stuff for them but having them around doesn't keep me excited as having my 90's computers set up and so they are relegated to storage for now.

So I guess what I'm wondering is do you guys feel similarly or do you keep all your machines set up all the time and use them equally?

Of course it may just be me, I've been finding I don't get the same entertainment out of playing games like I used to, I just can't sit down at them for days like before. 😒

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 18, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only have one retro PC "bay" on my desk. The others have to get rotated in based on what I need to do. If I had a massive workshop and could set up a ring of computers, that would be incredibly cool, but of course I don't.

In the console world, the only system that isn't set up is the Gamecube. The Wii does the same thing, but with Component video. Sorry Gamecube.

Reply 2 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to consoles the only ones I keep hooked up is the NES and PS2. I have an Intellivision (which is fucking awesome), a Tournament 2000, a Sega Genesis and an N64 but again because of my personal experience growing up I still prefer to play the NES or the PS2 (Mostly the NES these days, I love playing Double Dragon, Castlevainia, Desert Commander or Super Mario Bros. 3) because for the first part of my life until about 8th grade I never had any other console but the NES so I played it quite a lot and my parents played it a lot when I was young (They mainly played Nobunaga's Ambition) around 8th grade I got the PS2 and it blew my mind with it's intense realistic 3d graphics (Not to mention the first game I got for it was Twisted Metal Black). 🤣
I acquired the N64 and the rest just recently (within the last year or so) at thrift stores or rummage sales but it was way past my personal gaming hey day so other than it being cool to finally have one I never really give them any attention.

Reply 3 of 18, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally I do. Right now all I have set up is my main PC and my vintage PC (because I am currently building it.) I don't have everything set up because my current home is temporary. But normally I have everything set up, though that will depend on my where I finally end up. My retro setup is rather space consuming. I have a modern PC mid-tower, vintage PC mini-tower, Amiga 2000 desktop, Amiga 4000 desktop, Amiga 500, Commodore 128D, and a TI-99/4A with PEB. At one time I had plans to get an Apple IIgs, but when I was forced onto disability those plans have been put on hold. As you can see, that takes up quite a bit of space.

I need 2 monitors to support all those. The PC's and the 2 desktop Amigas run through my main VGA (LCD) monitor. The rest used an RGB/AV monitor. But it went out on me just before my move, so I dumped it. Saw no reason to bring it along when it was useless. It was the Commodore 1082 monitor IIRC. Could attach the Amigas, the 128D (in both composite & 80-column mode,) and the TI to it. Though I had to switch it between Analog & Digital for the Amiga 500 and the 128D (80-Column mode.)

In case anyone is wondering why so many retro computers. They are all computers that I worked with when I was learning computers. My first computer was the TI, and that's where I first learned to work with computers. My next one was a C64 (later upgraded to the 128.) Later I got an Apple IIe, at a garage sale (mainly to learn the differences between it and the C64 - they both use the 6502 processor.) That was followed by an A500, which was replaced by the A2000. It was at this point that I branched to the PC, because there were games coming out that weren't available on the Amiga.

I built my retro collection, mainly for nostalgia and because there are games and such that I just prefer on the original equipment I played them on. It all really started when my father game me his A500 because he just never used it any more. I set it up and memories just started coming back. So I unpacked my A2000 as well. I've since bought the others to replace the dead or sold machines. I've also been collecting consoles I used to have as well. Ok, my family had when I was younger. So far I have an Atari 2600, an NES, and a SNES. The only one I'm missing is an old pong machine that was the first console my family had. I don't plan to actually get that one though.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 4 of 18, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, I live in a tiny 2 bedroom unit with my girlfriend, and I've basically commandeered one of the bedrooms as my computer room. I've only got space for my main desk + PC and a foldup table that holds whatever old computer i happen to have set up at the time.
It's actually quite a problem, I have so many old computers that I don't have space to pack them all away, i pretty much have to have one set up all the time. It's a pain in the arse when I want to solder or something because usually my computer room gets boxes and computers all over the floor.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 18, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normally I don't keep my retro computers set up because I have no reason to. Everything I can do on them I can do on a more modern system, either directly or through emulation, the exception being getting data off of 5 1/4" disks so if I ever need to do that I just temporarily set up my P120 (which I installed a 5 1/4" drive into) and put it away again following.

Retro game consoles on the other hand, totally different story. In my last place I kept pretty much every console I owned hooked up at once, ready to play, save for AC adaptors since having every one of those plugged in all at the same time probably wouldn't be a good idea. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I simply don't have the room to set all my retrorigs up, so I have them either in a closet or stacked up somewhere, until I want to use any of them. Then I basically switch the cables from another computer to the retropc (usually I just put the retro pc case on top of one of the other units).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 18, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nah. I have an all-rounder system which suits most of my needs, but then there's the oddball game that requires a separate system. Take Revenant (1999) for example.

It's a total mess of a game, it won't work on modern systems properly, heck even under Windows XP it is problematic. Usually you'll get Software Rendering running, but you'll soon run into other troubles. Anyway, I've had it in my collection for years, but never really got past 1/4 of the game, but I decided to give it a chance about 2 years ago.
It was a tad too slow on my K6-3+ 550 and Voodoo 3 for my liking. This is my all-rounder system that I think I've mentioned about a million times already on this forum 😁.

So I quickly threw together a PIII 1GHz, 512MB RAM and a Ti4200 and called it a day. Worked like a charm and I beat the game without a hitch 😀.

I also have an AT system, an MMX 233 with an S3 Virge and a Voodoo 1, but it's mostly for nostalgic reasons and the obligatory Warhammer : Dark Omen playthrough with my best buddy each year. Although, even with this game I've managed to get it working properly on my main PC, so that's that...
I've been thinking about getting an AT board that supports the K6-3+ and migrate it, which should be really awesome 😀.

Reply 8 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Only room available for one PC at a time. My two retro builds stay in storage nearby (Socket 7 inside my bedroom closet, Pentium 4 inside a Cooler Master case box). I just unplug my main PC and hook up one of the other two when time allows.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 18, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No; I don't have room for it at my desk. I have my "main" computer, and then one vintage/retro system - I'm currently working to try and make a more all-around performer to be that secondary system. It would be nice to have a few machines all at once, but I realize that few of them would get powered up very often, so I don't feel too bad about "ignoring" them.

Reply 11 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm ok, glad to hear I'm not the only one who prioritizes their machines. At one point I had four or five computers all set up in one room, each with a specific function in mind. However now that I have my Packard all decked out the way I want and it can use USB there is no reason for me to have so many extra computers so almost everything is in storage right now except the P200mmx Packard , My Dell Dimension XPS T500 (Pentium 3) and my main computer (Core 2 Duo). I guess these days I value living space more than having all kinds of antiques around me. 🤣

Reply 12 of 18, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm with Donutking, living in an apartment means most of the time the PC's are in storage. I have one retro computer out at a time, at the moment the 286 and the rest go back into the storage room. Really tempted about packing up my "modern" PC and just having the space for my retro computer since I spend most of my time on my laptop.

Reply 13 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know I keep thinking about that also, taking an internet hiatus of sorts and going completely offline again for a year or something. I could have my windows 98 SE computer for word processing, checkbook balancing, gaming and listening to music (which is why I was looking for a period appropriate printer in my other post). I went years without the internet, and now I find myself on it way too much. I think a break would be a good idea.

Reply 14 of 18, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have plenty of room but actually put most of my stack in a closet. My sons use the basement to play. I do not want the stack to fall on them in case they bump into the dining room table I have setup. I used to have 3 extended dining room tables setup for vintage computing: now just one. They enjoy the space to play in.

Reply 17 of 18, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing as most of my main retro machines nowadays are laptops, I do keep them set up. Only reason I use laptops anyways is the fact that I simply don't have enough room on my desk (or in my bedroom, for that matter) for a retro desktop setup. Though I do plan on having a retro desktop setup in my bedroom someday, just gotta move some stuff around.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 18 of 18, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one PC that is only used for old games, plus a couple that use old-ish hardware [p4-era] but have non-gaming uses. Old consoles are packed away. Only my 2 current PCs get much use. Most of my PC hardware is parts. When I have more PCs set up, once the initial excitement is gone, I dismantle them. I have one like this now, it was cool to build but it's in my way, mentally and physically.

One current PC is in another room but the other four are stacked 2 x 2, one with its own peripherals, the other 3 sharing theirs on a kvm switch.