VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everybody, for the past two or three months I've been using a ratcheting screwdriver for working on computers. I've been building a lot of custom desktops lately and I've been installing motherboard standoffs by hand and then using pliers to tighten them so they don't come out when remove a screw. I know there are special screwdrivers for screwing motherboard standoffs into the motherboard tray but I'd rather get a screwdriver bit that I can attach to my ratcheting screwdriver (which is amazing, btw) instead of having to buy a completely new tool (hah). Any help is appreciated.

Reply 2 of 7, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They're 3/16" (4.7625mm) hex. I always use a 5mm hex socket because imperial sizes are hard to come by around here.

Those sets with various hex socket sizes usually include an adapter bit for 1/4" hex screwdrivers. (edit: pic)

Reply 4 of 7, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I only use my fingers to screw and tighten mobo standoffs in place. Only use pliers to remove those that are very tight or stripped. Never had a need to use anything else.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 7, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dacow wrote:

I've often just used long nose pliers, I didn't realise there are special tools for them?

Lian-Li and others used to give them away with case purchases - it's basically just a hex driver. I'm with JayCeeBee64 though: on cases that actually have screw-in standoffs (a lot of mine use pins or clips or are permanently anchored etc) I just put them in by hand. I've seen those things snap off pretty easily, so it's nothing I'd want to take a ratchet or power tool to. 😊

Reply 6 of 7, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you have a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, can't remember if the hex fitting of the handle is the right size.

There are also sets that have a hex to square adapter as a socket driver - and using a screwdriver handle instead of a spanner is better to avoid overtightening.

Smaller scale tool - nut driver / nut spinner

Reply 7 of 7, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matth79 wrote:

if you have a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, can't remember if the hex fitting of the handle is the right size.

Usually not - it's usually the right size for the hex-head screws though. 😀