Win98se + MVP3 issues

Topic actions

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all.
I am in the process of building a new retro rig, using a board that I purchased a couple of months ago.
The board is a Epox MVP3 C and it is working just fine, before installation of Win98se.
No issues whatsoever, prior to installation of drivers in Windows and such.

My headace starts, after the installation of the chipset drivers and the gfx card.
As it seems that any GFX card used, will eighter freeze the or it will reboot.
The drivers used for the chipset are the VIA/Hyperion 4 in one version 4.56

While using Matrox g400, the system will reboot upon initialization of the card during boot of Win98se.
And when I use an Nvidia TNT2 card (both vanta and m64's) the system will freeze.
I am guessing that this is a chipset driver (agp driver) related issue.

What could I do and have any of you guys have had the same issues with this type of gear?
My guess, is to eighter installation of Win98 first edition or choosing a different mobo driver.
Just have to ask here first, as I feel that I am running around in the dark here.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. Well.... Don't know were to find them as all googling on eighter mvp3 or 4 in one leads to nothing here.
Guess that it is really hard to find old drivers like these. 🙁

Reply 3 of 41, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
take a look at philscomputerlab. Got my driver for NMC-5VM5XS there.
greetings duncan

Last edited by duncan on 2014-11-20, 18:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 4 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks.... 😀
Never really crossed my mind to search or look at Phil's site. Found 4.35 right away.
Will try it out later today, when I am home from work.
Just have to do a fresh installation of Windows first.

Reply 5 of 41, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep - 4.35 is was I also use on my ss7/mvp3 build. Newer ones were problematic as they were targeted for newer chipsets.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 41, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i currently have two via socket7 boards:

mvp3+win2000, this combination had no issues at all, with several agp cards tested, from rage128 to ti4600. agp mode is on, agp features are enabled, and performance is up to standard.

vp3+win98+geforce2mx, this one has some issues. after installing 4in1 driver(4.35), it said that agp mode was on, and d3d tests(3dmark, need for speed 5 etc.) are ok, however opengl icd is in trouble. on some newer drivers(30.82 for example) it says opengl icd is running in pci mode, while older drivers(8.05 and 5.32) opengl simply freezes at any access, i guess it just failed to run in agp mode.

when i looked up at via's standalone agp driver(not those included in 4in1), i found that the oldest device id in the inf is 598(mvp3), there is no device 597(vp3), does that mean that via has forsaken support for the vp3 chipset?

Reply 7 of 41, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I had a few Via 4in1 4.35 driver issues with my Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ Rev 3.0 Via Apollo Pro board. I found that every time I installed the 4in1 drivers, I would encounter problem after problem. Mainly Windows 98 SE start up issues but also several AGP related issues. I then went into device manager and updated the "VIA CPU to AGP controller" under "System Devices" with the Viagart.vxd driver found in the AGP folder of the 4in1 4.35 drivers and my graphics card/start up issues were gone. Also graphics card performance improved by around 50%. Went from 3379 to 6385 points in 3DMark 2001SE. Who knows, may help you too 😀

Oh and before you go reinstalling Windows 98 for whatever reason, boot into "safe mode with command prompt" and go to the Windows\Command directory and enter "scanreg /restore". This will restore your registry to the last known error free start up point also avoiding any other problems the 4in1 drivers created for you. Then just reinstall your drivers again. Better than waiting around for Windows 98 to install again.

Reply 8 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borgie83 wrote:

Recently I had a few Via 4in1 4.35 driver issues with my Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ Rev 3.0 Via Apollo Pro board. I found that every time I installed the 4in1 drivers, I would encounter problem after problem. Mainly Windows 98 SE start up issues but also several AGP related issues. I then went into device manager and updated the "VIA CPU to AGP controller" under "System Devices" with the Viagart.vxd driver found in the AGP folder of the 4in1 4.35 drivers and my graphics card/start up issues were gone. Also graphics card performance improved by around 50%. Went from 3379 to 6385 points in 3DMark 2001SE. Who knows, may help you too 😀

Oh and before you go reinstalling Windows 98 for whatever reason, boot into "safe mode with command prompt" and go to the Windows\Command directory and enter "scanreg /restore". This will restore your registry to the last known error free start up point also avoiding any other problems the 4in1 drivers created for you. Then just reinstall your drivers again. Better than waiting around for Windows 98 to install again.

For now, the issue seems to have been solved. I am now running Win98se on this machine, with an Matrox G400 32mb AGP.

What I did, was first to install 4.35 drivers, update the CPU to AGP driver as you described, then installed nVidia drivers (had a TNT2 installed), and rebooted. As there were still issues, like adaptor information or something wrong, I upgraded to 4.41 and installed AGP in turbo mode.
Then I removed the nVidia driver and replaced the TNT2 with the Matrox card. Then installed the Matrox drivers.

What I did, is probably not the right procedure, yet the machine is now working. Only have to install drivers for the Voodoo1 card and the SB-Live. Finally I have to install DirectX 6, and do a benchmark. Will report back on how fast the machine is.

Thanks again for all the great advice. Can't stop thinking on how long it would have taken me without them. 😀

Reply 9 of 41, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

@brostenen: Good I could help 😉 You might go "by foot" through drive C and the registry do delete manually rests of nvidia stuff. To my experience, they never uninstall cleanly...

@noshutdown: you have pm

greetings to all, duncan

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 10 of 41, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the VIA site itself ...
4.35 is the "retro OS version", but the actual chipset support is unspecified other than "you may need a later version for post 2002 systems"
4.43 is the "retro chipset version" with quite a list specified (including MVP#)
Both are dated as 25 Oct 2001, so the chipset support is probably similar

Must remember the tip about the AGP driver, I have an old VIA chipset system that I might convert to a Win98SE box - it was XP - actually, maybe dual boot both if that's possible.

Reply 11 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strangely enough, 4.35 did not work as good as 4.41 on my Epox MVP3-c board.
Only thing now, is to get my Voodoo1 working on this system.
I might have to underclock, as I have read that FSB higher than 66 gives V1-issues.
Well... Anyway... The two cards that I have, both give blank screen on this system.
On my 440tx (think its tx) celeron system, both V1's work. That system is 66 mhz FSB.

Reply 12 of 41, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just did some further testing. Used the updated Viagart.vxd driver (Version 4.30.0000) from the Via 4.43 4in1 drivers and my 3DMark 2001SE score dropped from 6385 down to 5888. Appears as though the Via 4.35 Viagart.vxd (Version 4.04.0000) is the AGP driver to use.

3DMark 2001SE settings used: 1024x768, No AA, 32 Bit, Double FB, 24 Bit ZB, D3D Pure Hardware.

System: Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+, P3 1.4Ghz, GF4 TI4800, 512mb Ram.

Reply 13 of 41, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had some AGP trouble with a Tyan S1590 MVP3 board many years ago. I don't remember anymore what VIA AGP driver version I ended up using, but I know it was an older one. I found that I needed to install the driver in "safe" mode, which forced AGP 1X mode. AGP 2X (enabled by using "turbo" mode) had some glitchiness and made essentially no performance difference. I also used an older nVidia driver (v5.32) because later versions were significantly slower for some reason.

The primary hurdle however was discovering that USB support *had* to be enabled in the BIOS. If it was disabled, AGP didn't work, resulting in a black screen once the AGP drivers were installed. Very strange. I don't know if that's an MVP3 quirk or if it's specific to that particular motherboard.

Reply 14 of 41, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I don't think this usb-enable thing is global, on my HOT-591p mobos I have usb disabled and AGP works fine at 2x...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have disabled usb as well in the bios. Regarding the Voodoo-1 card, still no luck.
I underclocked the system, running 66mhz fsb and multiplier at x5.
Still blank screen. Must be the chipset or mobo not liking V1 at all and not FSB.

Must look for a Voodoo2 card now, as they some times get cheap on sale here.
In the meantime, I shurely can do without NFS2. Only Win98 game I like that require Voodoo.
(Still refuse to pay more than the equivelant to 17 dollars without shipping)

Reply 16 of 41, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try the voodoo in different slots before writing it off.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons 😀

while trying to get my retro pc working, I stumbled upon this topic.

I'm trying to get a FX5900XT running under Win98SE on a MVP3 Board, Epox EP-51MVP3E.

Newest BIOS, AGP2.0 enabled, 1435 AGP driver installed (had to do it manually via control center, as the setup wizard just copied files?

Then I tried all kinds of Forceware versions, all resulting in the same problem: Whenever I select anything else than VGA, windows wants to restart and then the screen just goes dark. Rebooting results in VGA again.

The card (FX5900XT) works in a i440BX based board, I also get a taskbar notification icon on the taskbar there which I don't get on the AMD board, maybe something just crashes right at the start?

As I can't get the card running on this board, I'm now using an old Radeon 9250 which works perfectly, High color, Full-HD no problem.

The reason I wanted an NVidia card was because I read Ati cards have problems with certain dos VESA modes?

What I want this computer to be is a game machine that can play anything from 1985 to 2000.

So two or three 😀 questions:
1. Any Idea how to get the FX5900 running on that board?
2. If not, suggestions for an alternative, maybe a Radeon 9800XT ?
3. Or would I maybe have a better chance with an older NVidia card, ti4200, mx440 maybe?

Reply 19 of 41, by Xnyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just wanted the best card still supporting AGP 2.X, but apparently this is just on paper. And It was cheap on Ebay.

How much older GeForce cards are we talking about?

Edit: And I'D like to have DVI, so that's why I ended up with the FX series. I guess the oldest Geforce cards having DVI are the GF4 Ti cards?

Last edited by Xnyle on 2017-02-09, 14:40. Edited 1 time in total.