VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 220 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think this has been asked already but will any of the previous dgVoodoo 1 features ever return for dgVoodoo 2? Or are they just too old?
- 32-bit NTVDM support from glide.ovl / glide2x.ovl / glide3x(?).ovl to Glide.dll / Glide2x.dll / Glide3x.dll
- dgvesa
- others?

Or else will it be possible to use dgVoodoo 1 with dgVoodoo 2's DLL files? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 221 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From last year:

Dege wrote:
Further investigating the 3Dfx driver, I got to the following: Original OpenGL driver is not a pure OpenGL->Glide3 Napalm wrappe […]
Show full quote

Further investigating the 3Dfx driver, I got to the following:
Original OpenGL driver is not a pure OpenGL->Glide3 Napalm wrapper, unfortunately (as for Windows). OpenGL uses the SURFACE extension. The problem is that surface implementation is only partial in Glide3, creating and releasing surfaces is implemented via DirectDraw. So that, surface extension functions operate on ddraw surfaces in (Win) Glide3. It's something like that 3Dfx display driver has different components (GDI, DDraw, Glide, OpenGL) but the boundaries between run on bad places. 😀 (Well, actually it's not true. Obviously they wanted to avoid duplicating surface management codes. It's is the same in nowadays display drivers, OpenGL renders on DDraw surfaces on Windows.)

So that, since 3Dfx OpenGL driver depends on its own ddraw and glide3 components, it makes it impossible to use it via a Glide wrapper. Unless a mini-ddraw -> D3D11 wrapper is also provided... 😁

But it doesn't worth the effort. Writing another component just to have an OpenGL 1.1 -> Glide3 (and mini ddraw) -> D3D11 wrapping? It makes no sense but programmatically would be nice... 😁

Sorry for the lot of technical blabla. I just wanted to say that OpenGL->Glide3 wrapper won't work.

And now it's possible. 😁

Stiletto

Reply 222 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

What about using nGlide 1.03, dgVoodoo 1.50Beta2, psVoodoo, or OpenGlide 0.09rc9 (included with Glidos) for now? Have you tried them?

nGlide works, but is too slow to be playable. dgVoodoo 1.50b2 crashes if the game is set to 800x600 and at 640x480 the display is a bit jumbled. psVoodoo does not crash, but gives a black screen as the music plays. OpenGlide will only display in a non-proportional Window. Zeckensack's works but if dynamic lighting is selected becomes too slow in any scene that uses it. Without looking, I am not sure what other Glide games I have to try.

Dege wrote:

Hmm, it's a DX 10.1 capable card. Are you interested in creating a log to see what happens (the same process that Walt did for me with Glide)?

Even after I took ownership of the key all of the debug options are still grayed out. It seems that an update now prevents it.

The platform update was the breaking change, though. That's the one in kb2670838 where the D3D11.1 components came in and wrecked everything.

If you have some other suggestions how to generate a log, I am willing.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 223 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, after farting around with it for a while I managed to get the debug enabled. I not only had to take ownership of that key, but also all of the child objects. Anyway, here it is. fairly short as it crashes on launch.

Attachments

• Filename
    MoE.log
    File size
    2.14 KiB
    Downloads
    101 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 224 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
I think this has been asked already but will any of the previous dgVoodoo 1 features ever return for dgVoodoo 2? Or are they jus […]
Show full quote

I think this has been asked already but will any of the previous dgVoodoo 1 features ever return for dgVoodoo 2? Or are they just too old?
- 32-bit NTVDM support from glide.ovl / glide2x.ovl / glide3x(?).ovl to Glide.dll / Glide2x.dll / Glide3x.dll
- dgvesa
- others?

Or else will it be possible to use dgVoodoo 1 with dgVoodoo 2's DLL files? 😀

I think nobody uses 32 bit operating system on modern hw. dgVoodoo2 needs modern hw so, I don't see any point to port DOS communication from dgVoodoo1. (Also, changing the diplay driver model to WDDM from XPDM, MS also dropped basic VGA emulation in Win Vista so not only dgVesa should be implemented but an additional VGA emulation. 🙁 )
So dgVoodoo2 needs modern gpu with DX11 that's why it couldn't be backported to 98/XP (to use with 1.x ovl).
Everyone uses DosBox now, that's the new NTVDM.
Other? I don't think dgVoodoo1.x had any other interesting feature, AFAIR.

And now it's possible. 😁

It's true! But complete DX support got much higher priority on the thingstodo list!
(I tried however something that could be a titbit: Glide2x -> dgVoodoo1.5Beta2 (DX7) -> dgVoodoo2 wrapping chain. I tried it with a demo and a game and seemed to work. I mean it worked perfectly but I don't know if it's true in general. 😀 )

Reply 225 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

OK, after farting around with it for a while I managed to get the debug enabled. I not only had to take ownership of that key, but also all of the child objects. Anyway, here it is. fairly short as it crashes on launch.

But you need the other tab, Direct3D 10.x/11 (not the DX9 one), and set 'Debug Layer' to 'Force On'.
(and don't forget to add the folder of KQMoe by the 'Edit List' button)

There are no DX11 entries in your log.

Reply 226 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is what I had. The attached log is from what you see in the screenshot. It is probably much the same as the first one. As I said, it crashes as soon as it tries to paint the window.

Attachments

• Filename
    MoE.log
    File size
    2.14 KiB
    Downloads
    103 downloads
    File license
  • DXProps.png
    Filename
    DXProps.png
    File size
    33.63 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 227 of 3949, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

- KQ MoE (D3D)

- I set vain useDynamicLighting to 1 in Options.cs, there was no dynamic lighting applied

The option gets turned off again if you open the options screen. Make sure it's set to 640x480, probably easiest to test by starting a new game since you can see it on the wall right away. It does work, I had the dgVoodoo logo and glide2x.dll was removed.

Reply 228 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

That is what I had. The attached log is from what you see in the screenshot. It is probably much the same as the first one. As I said, it crashes as soon as it tries to paint the window.

Hmm. What if you disable mute severity on 'Info'. It seems the debug layer doesn't get activated for some reason.
It must reach some D3D11 code before crash or else Zeckensack's wouldn't work.

The option gets turned off again if you open the options screen. Make sure it's set to 640x480, probably easiest to test by starting a new game since you can see it on the wall right away. It does work, I had the dgVoodoo logo and glide2x.dll was removed.

Ok, indeed it works! I did the mistake that checked the state of the dynamic lighting in the menu. 😎

Reply 229 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Admittedly, I don't know much about DX10 or 11, but as old as Zeckensack's is, would DX11 be called when it predates it? I could generate a log for Zeckensack's, if it would help.

Reply 230 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Admittedly, I don't know much about DX10 or 11, but as old as Zeckensack's is, would DX11 be called when it predates it? I could generate a log for Zeckensack's, if it would help.

Zeckensack's is a Glide 2.4x to OpenGL 1.x wrapper. So no, I don't see how that could be.

PS. Why does this MoE.log reference things in the game? KQ god? I thought you were generating a dgvoodoo log...

Stiletto

Reply 231 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I uninstalled my ATI drivers and updated them to see if there was not something wonky going on with my current driver. The log has a bit more after that.

Attachments

• Filename
    MoE.log
    File size
    4.84 KiB
    Downloads
    83 downloads
    File license

Reply 234 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deadalus wrote:

Is there any way to force resolution for DirectX/DirectDraw program?

Not yet. The code is more or less prepared for that but I didn't think it so important as most of the DX applications let the user choose resolution.
And, forcing resolution makes sense only in 3D-rendered cases.

Reply 235 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
So, through the DirectX control panel (32 bit) on the Direct3D10.x/11 tab you can set the debug layer usage to 'Force On' and se […]
Show full quote

So, through the DirectX control panel (32 bit) on the Direct3D10.x/11 tab you can set the debug layer usage to 'Force On' and select the glide wrapped exe's folder into the list of affected executables, see the attached image.

And then, launch DebugView (if you don't want to attach to the process by Visual Studio):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinterna … s/bb896647.aspx

It displays debug outputs coming from any application.
If all that set up, then start the glide application, get to the point where it does not work and see the output of DebugView. DX11 debug layer outputs a lot of info, warnings and errors if any detected.

I have your wrapper DLLs in the game's folder and I have that folder selected in the DirectX Control Panel. DebugView was launched and connected to my PC (obviously as it was capturing from the game), but the DebugView is only capturing the game. Your wrapper must be attempting to wrap the MASK.EXE as it is crashing the game. What am I missing?

Reply 236 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have your wrapper DLLs in the game's folder and I have that folder selected in the DirectX Control Panel. DebugView was launched and connected to my PC (obviously as it was capturing from the game), but the DebugView is only capturing the game. Your wrapper must be attempting to wrap the MASK.EXE as it is crashing the game. What am I missing?

The only thing I can think of is the DirectX SDK. DX11 SDK is now part of the Win8 SDK, but it was a separate one before. Win7SP1 (and presumably Win8) broke the original SDK in the sense that the debuglayer didn't work, won't load even if it's forced through the control panel. I had to install the Win8 SDK after Win7 upgraded to SP1 but the control panel doesn't always work even now for some reason.
I think you don't have DX11 entries in DebugView because of that.

Reply 237 of 3949, by teleguy1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Jedi Knight, it's standalone expansion MotS and Tie Fighter 98 with dgVoodoo 2. Afaik they all use DirectX 5.2.

With Jedi Knight I can get to the menu but as soon as I start a new game or load a savegame I get the error message "Unable to set video mode" (https://1c8bffed267be9ef23e8bf4815370515ce972 … NmZiMm9vU0pHdk0) then the game crashes with a fault in dxgi.dll.
MotS gives me the same "Unable to set video mode" message, then a "Error setting last valid display mode" message and the game returns to the menu.
Tie Fighter just shows a black screen.

I've tried all 3 games on a HD 7970 and a GTX 780 (with Windows 7 64 bit) and they behave the same way.

Attachments

• Filename
    Log.zip
    File size
    3.22 KiB
    Downloads
    90 downloads
    File license

Reply 239 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

The only thing I can think of is the DirectX SDK. DX11 SDK is now part of the Win8 SDK, but it was a separate one before. Win7SP1 (and presumably Win8) broke the original SDK in the sense that the debuglayer didn't work, won't load even if it's forced through the control panel. I had to install the Win8 SDK after Win7 upgraded to SP1 but the control panel doesn't always work even now for some reason.
I think you don't have DX11 entries in DebugView because of that.

I updated the Win SDK with the latest, but no change in the output. I suspect that the only thing that I can do is to replace my card with a newer one, possibly Nvidia. It does suggest that I should not use this wrapper in my MoE installer as others might experience the crash as well.