First post, by kin
Processor: Cyrix Media GXM 266mhz GX5530
Mainboard: Supertek ST-3WT
AC97 2.0 (sb pro support)
Onboard 4MB VGA (disabled)
Ram: kingston kvr133x64c2-256 (64mb in DOS)
Video adapter: S3 Virge DX 4mb PCI (connected to the PCI/ISA bridge)
Storage: Emtec 512mb 88x CFcard connected to IDE adapter.
Floppy: 3.25 HD floppydrive
It took me many hours of google and testing the unit and solving issues in DOS. I hope this helps.
Just in case, remove the cmos battery and put it back in order to reset all bios settings.
In bios, everything is set default with the exeption of:
- 16-bit I/O recovery (CLCK) = 2
8-bit I/O recovery (CLCK) = 3
These settings are crucial in order for the AC97 to work correctly. Some games are prone to hanging on startup.
- PCI IRQ activated by: edge (dunno if this helps anything)
- I've enabled the onboard(AC97) sound in BIOS (220H, 330H, IRQ5, Low DMA 1, High DMA 7).
There is no seperate option to enable the Soundblaster Pro legacy, but I think it already is.
(tried to flash the bios with 3wt0522t.bin, nopes)
I already added this in autoexec.bat:
SETBLASTER = A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 P6
The AC97 could fail (no sound) when a game causes the system to crash and you are forced to reset/power off the system.
Even if you reset or repower the system shortly, the AC97 would still be faulty. Just turn off the system, let it rest for about 5-10 minutes
then power it up again. Then the AC97 is functional again. 😀
The gamecrashes that leaded to this hangup was caused by the improper 16-bit and 8-bit I/O recovery clck settings (default 5 and 5). The stable setting is 3 and 2.(see settings above). I also don' t know why this can cause DMA and IRQ conflicts and I can imagine that this is a huge frustrates for other owners of this board 😵
Games + sound 100%working: 😀
- Hocus Pocus (when L1 cache is disabled, it hangs on apogee intro)
- One Must Fall (setup: Sound blaster clone works. when set to sb pro or 16 the samplerate of the sound will be played by half. Ingame: set speed to 2 bars)
- The Incredible Machine 2
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Pinball Fantasies
- many many more....
- Transport Tycoon Deluxe (Only works with UVCONFIG, but it's running 4x slow... not sure if it is CPU or memory related. Linear framebuffer?)
- The Incredible Machine (Only works with UVCONFIG, also very slow. Soundblaster does not show up in setup)