VOGONS

Common searches

Thief Gold & Win XP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. I know that Eidos pretty much guarantees that this game won't run in XP but I've had mixed success. I used to run a GeForce 2 card in my system and have since then upgraded to a GF4 and now to a GF FX 5950. When running the GF2 I could get the game to load fine and play the first level for about ten minutes. It would bomb out to the desktop after that. I never tried to get it working with my GF4. Now with the FX card I am getting a very specific error that "might" be fixable. I just thought I would throw this one out there and let you guys have at it. I can get the main menu and even play the cutscenes but when the levelt tries to load I get this error in a little pop-up window:

"ERROR: Direct3D driver does not accurately report texture memory useage. Contact your video card manufacturer for driver updates"

If I could somehow install a differrent driver or tweak DX9 a little bit to circumvent this error then I might get the game to run. Also, if I could somehow get the game to let me use Glide and a Glide wrapper then the issue would be moot. I've already tried Openglide and dgVoodoo and neither will make the game recognize glide/3dfx support. If anybody has any suggestions, please post them here. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Canthlian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I remember this problem. As I recall, you have to go into your Thief directory and open up user.cfg. Add the line "safe_texture_manager" and save. That should fix it. If not, go to Through The Looking Glass. In their Thief forums, there's a FAQ for problems like this.[/url]

Reply 2 of 6, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sweet! thanks. Also, do you have the "Daemonites model patch"? The links on the page by oRGy don't work mostly. Thanks again.

EDIT: N'er mind. Found everything here:

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/patches/

If anybody has any other ?'s, just pm me.

Reply 4 of 6, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The following section of text from the link I posted is what fixes that problem. Not sure how it works but it does the trick:

>>Nvidia Driver 5x.xx Fixes
>>Explanation: This patch fixes the "Direct 3D Device does not accurately
>>report texture memory usage" error from Nvidia drivers versions 5x.xx
>>and above. Overwrite the Thief EXE with the one in this zip. We will
>>not be providing the Thief2 fix for Nvidia driver 5x.xx; because it
>>bypasses copy protection; Thief 1 & Gold simply do not have this
>>protection to begin with. Thief 2 users can simply place the line
>>safe_texture_manager into their user.cfg file, which works reliably to
>>fix this problem. Made by bobruck; unsupported by Eidos or this
>>website; use at your own risk.
>>
>>Thief: The Dark Project v1.14 Nvidia 5x.xx Driver Fix. - 0.9 Megs
>>
>>Thief: The Dark Project v1.33 Nvidia 5x.xx Driver Fix. - 0.9 Megs
>>
>>Thief: Gold Nvidia 5x.xx Driver Fix. - 0.9 Megs

Reply 5 of 6, by roisin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this classic working on my dual-core computer. I set up a 5GB FAT32 RAMDRIVE so I could use the extra RAM XP can't see.

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=38005

I used this freeware loader to set the game exe to use 1 core.
Launch n set
www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software

Installed the game using minimum install to the Fat32 Ramdisk, and mounted the ISO from there also. Excellent game this.

Interesting that I don't have the safe_texture_manager option turned on and it still works.

Win98SE / XP Pro
AMD Athlon 5000+
2GB DDR2 6400
Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB

AMD Athlon 6400 x2 Black Edition
8GB DDR2 6400
Dual 8800 GT 512MB SLI
Liquid Cooled CPU

Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition @ 3.6Ghz
16GB DDR2 6400 - 4x 4GB modules
BFG Nvidia GTX 295 with 1792MB DDR3
Liquid Cooled CPU & Northbridge