VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I came across an interesting device called Futurecase BusMaster2000 for SIS 496/497. Basically it's a 3.5" faceplate with two switches made to manipulate FSB jumper settings from the front panel of the case. It's got an original manual and looks new and never used. I installed it in 5x86 machine with AP43 motherboard it states to support and it worked from the first try. 25, 33, 40, 50MHz FSB just became selectible from the front of the case.

Did you ever come across such a device? It's the first time I see one and I've seen a lot of stuff. Btw, either my Google-Fu is not good, or the Internet does not know these things or company ever existed.

Pictures:
P1020973.JPG
P1020974.JPG
P1020976.JPG
P1020977.JPG
P1020981.JPG

The manual (freaking planes on each page 😁):
P1020978.JPG
P1020979.JPG
P1020980.JPG

Reply 2 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

in my eyes this is cool 🤣
nice find! no idea stuff like that existed commercially...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 24, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny item.
One can easily make such a thing at home with a drill and a soldering station.
It seems like Futurecase also started out with a normal cover plate, drilled two holes and added a sticker.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never seen one available as a commercial item, have seen "hacks" like this (and for clearing CMOS, setting other jumpers, etc) for years - nothing so cleanly done or with as many Boeing 767 pictures though. Biggest concern with having something like this front-mounted, imho, is the potential to hit one of those switches while the machine is on; usually I've seen these kinds of things cut into the back of the case just to make it easier for troubleshooting/upgrading/what-have-you versus right there on the front.

I know that in more recent years both Abit and Asus have released stand-alone devices that are meant to allow similar (but more advanced) functionality in terms of adjusting CPU clock; I think the Abit one (called "uGuru") actually could work with the machine powered up, I don't know as much about the Asus one.

Reply 5 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After using it for some time while tuning Cache and DRAM timings, I must conclude, it provides very fast and comfortable, error-free jumper setup. I also wired the keylock to the single jumper that in ON position makes 5x86 work as 5x86, otherwise 486DX4WB. The turbo button effectively halves FSB speed, so the system now is configurable from 3x12.5 MHz to 3x50MHz and 4x40 MHz. Great!

Reply 6 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

Biggest concern with having something like this front-mounted, imho, is the potential to hit one of those switches while the machine is on; usually I've seen these kinds of things cut into the back of the case just to make it easier for troubleshooting/upgrading/what-have-you versus right there on the front.

There are members here on Vogons who have done front side switches on their cases for hotswitching the FSB and multiplier.It does work while the machine is turned on. You could probably find the thread with some searching.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 24, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

There are members here on Vogons who have done front side switches on their cases for hotswitching the FSB and multiplier.It does work while the machine is turned on. You could probably find the thread with some searching.

I have front switches for bus/multi on my Socket 3 and Socket 7 rigs. Switching them while the machine is on does not work (machine hangs).

Reply 8 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also had such a mod back on the old days (I guess around 1995)? I do remember that some settings worked while the machine was running. But I don't remember if it was the FSB or the multiplier.

CPU was an AMD DX4-100.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 24, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I also had such a mod back on the old days (I guess around 1995)? I do remember that some settings worked while the machine was running. But I don't remember if it was the FSB or the multiplier. CPU was an AMD DX4-100.

It was probably the FSB. Sometimes my Socket 3 board "survives" a switch between 25 an 33 MHz, but crashes when I try to switch to 40 MHz. On my Socket 7 board, switching the FSB always hangs the machine. I reckon it depends on the board, the type of switch, how many positions need to be switched, etc...

Multipliers get selected inside the CPU, any changes at runtime are ignored until the next (hard) reset.

Reply 11 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I also had such a mod back on the old days (I guess around 1995)? I do remember that some settings worked while the machine was running. But I don't remember if it was the FSB or the multiplier. CPU was an AMD DX4-100.

It was probably the FSB. Sometimes my Socket 3 board "survives" a switch between 25 an 33 MHz, but crashes when I try to switch to 40 MHz. On my Socket 7 board, switching the FSB always hangs the machine. I reckon it depends on the board, the type of switch, how many positions need to be switched, etc...

Multipliers get selected inside the CPU, any changes at runtime are ignored until the next (hard) reset.

I don't want to try switching it when the system is running, I don't know how many switches my motherboard would last. The multis are surely not going to work at runtime.

MMaximus wrote:

Neat little device. I installed a similar thing on my socket 7 system, but in a 5.25" bay:

Pentium 200 "Multi-Speed" Game & Midi System

Yes, I recall that one! Neat thing as well!

Reply 12 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I wanted to tell you this in a thread about the build on the picture, but since it is very unlikely that I'll do it anytime soon, here goes...

FUTURECASE BUSMASTER 2000 IS A FAKE

I knew some of you guys (namely phil and MMaximus) used similar devices and I wanted to create something with the same function, but I wanted more. I wanted something that would look and feel like the real thing. So I designed the device, the stickers, the manual - everything. Then I had the stickers printed, bought and modified the switches to my needs (they are originally used for 220V On/off and have a tiny lamp inside), made two holes first with 1mm and then with 20mm drill and put it all together.

My original idea was to post this thing here and on one other forum I attend and see if you guys believe me and if you would, I would consider my job well done.

So that's it 😀

Reply 13 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*groan* should have known, the grammar and spelling was a little too good in the user manual for an imported Asian device.

You were a little too late for posting it on April Fool's Day, please try to be on time next year. 🤣

Also: you may be crazy, but you're our kind of crazy. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 24, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice touch with the Boeings! So random and strange that it could not possibly be fake 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 16 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Also: you may be crazy, but you're our kind of crazy. 😁

keropi wrote:

I still think it's cool
well played Sir 😀

I take these for complements 😁

ODwilly wrote:

Nice touch with the Boeings! So random and strange that it could not possibly be fake 😀

I started with the sticker and weird-colored stripes that would look retro and this Boeing came to mind. Could not resist it ever since. 😎

Reply 19 of 24, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
Okay, I wanted to tell you this in a thread about the build on the picture, but since it is very unlikely that I'll do it anytim […]
Show full quote

Okay, I wanted to tell you this in a thread about the build on the picture, but since it is very unlikely that I'll do it anytime soon, here goes...

FUTURECASE BUSMASTER 2000 IS A FAKE

I knew some of you guys (namely phil and MMaximus) used similar devices and I wanted to create something with the same function, but I wanted more. I wanted something that would look and feel like the real thing. So I designed the device, the stickers, the manual - everything. Then I had the stickers printed, bought and modified the switches to my needs (they are originally used for 220V On/off and have a tiny lamp inside), made two holes first with 1mm and then with 20mm drill and put it all together.

My original idea was to post this thing here and on one other forum I attend and see if you guys believe me and if you would, I would consider my job well done.

So that's it 😀

I dare say it is not fake... You sir, are an inventor. Sure it wasn't really from the 90's, but it has true retro vibe to it, and it was a real device, not just a computer rendering.
Ever considered making up a whole batch of these and selling them? 😉

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.