VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 260 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the late respond, yesterday I had no time at all. A quick reply:

Thank you guys!!

First I want to implement the missing parts in D3D and then switch to bugfixing mode.
Those games will be good testing stuff.

What I can say for now is

Commandos - Behind Enemy Lines: Works, severe performance problems, resolution switches between game and menus are terrible, FMVs don't work

Now it works OK, altough I have some issue with the in-game mouse. Had no problems with resolution switching though.

Outlaws demo has only a DirectDraw renderer but that one works fine for me too. Will check out the full version soon.

As for the bug I have on my Win8/Nvidia setup it does not appear on this Win7/Nvidia (same driver version) setup either. I have a theory all the refresh rates available on the 120hz monitor might be confusing something, but if that's not it I'll have to reinstall Win8 to eliminate a few potential reasons.

According to that, there must be differences between Win7/Win8 drivers version after all.

Reply 261 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

Commandos - Behind Enemy Lines: Works, severe performance problems, resolution switches between game and menus are terrible, FMVs don't work

Now it works OK, altough I have some issue with the in-game mouse. Had no problems with resolution switching though.

Outlaws demo has only a DirectDraw renderer but that one works fine for me too. Will check out the full version soon.

Are you running windowed? It's fullscreen that has the most painful problems with resolution switching. IIRC, you said you were on a Win7/Nvidia setup right?

Two more random observations: Outlaws actually fails to initialize hardware acceleration (I thought that looked too artifact free for early 3D acceleration), but still somehow runs at 1600x1200 which isn't supported by the software render.

Testing Commandos a bit more, alt-tabbing I did see frames of the intro FMV, but it doesn't actually show (it plays though, as there is sound). Gameplay also crashed when I tried scrolling with the mouse for whatever reason.

Edit: One more game that works is Mr. Driller. But not in fullscreen mode, where there is a distracting large black bar moving up and down over the image. Tested some other games but they were DX4 or DX8...
Edit2: also Panzer Dragoon works. FMVs don't though.
Edit3: Maybe unsurprising, but Claw a game based on the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 engine also works. FMVs fail though. Unlike Jazz Jackrabbit 2, this game fails spectacularly in DXGL.

Last edited by ZellSF on 2014-12-06, 21:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 262 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver: Freezes before doing anything at all.

Steam version works fine but shows only a black screen during the intro.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/537382658 … C6715C5803B98F/

Attachments

• Filename
    LoK.LOG
    File size
    319.46 KiB
    Downloads
    110 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 264 of 3949, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I replaced my card with a newer Nvidia card and it works. Also, doing exactly the same for debug logging does give some DX info that the old ATI card was not.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 266 of 3949, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mechwarrior 3 complains that DirectX 6 needs to be installed when using dgVoodoo.
Descent Freespace can't detect the dgVoodoo DX card (though you're better off using Voodoo for it anyhow, it's still good to test I suppose)
X-Wing VS TIE Fighter gives "DirectDraw Init FAILED at 0" Might be related to why Jedi Knight didn't work, since it uses DDraw for the menus. Maybe it isn't really a DX5 game...
X-Wing Alliance gives the same error (though there is now a DX11 wrapper made specifically for it, maybe you can study it a bit if you're stuck on a few things? The author also made a logger that logs DDraw API calls through ddraw.dll)

Sorry for dumb question, but how do I enable debug logging?

Last edited by Tarvis on 2014-12-07, 17:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 267 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tarvis wrote:

Sorry for dumb question, but how do I enable debug logging?

You need the Windows sdk, the Directx Controlpanel and Debugview.

In the controlpanel on the D3D11 tab select "Force On" and add the game directory to the list. Then launch the game with debugview running.

Attachments

• Filename
    debug.zip
    File size
    1.01 MiB
    Downloads
    111 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 270 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

talking about initialization issues of Wine kicked up a few things BTW:
Making WineD3D on Windows for Win32

Yes, it did. I keep following the DX topics.

X-Wing Alliance gives the same error (though there is now a DX11 wrapper made specifically for it, maybe you can study it a bit if you're stuck on a few things? The author also made a logger that logs DDraw API calls through ddraw.dll)

"DX wrapping business and competition has just started, ladies and gentlemen!! Keep attention not to miss anything!!" 😀 🤣

Reply 271 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Are you running windowed? It's fullscreen that has the most painful problems with resolution switching. IIRC, you said you were on a Win7/Nvidia setup right?

Yes, I forgot to mention that it keeps being windowed whenever it starts or changes resolution. I'm on Win7/nVidia.

Testing Commandos a bit more, alt-tabbing I did see frames of the intro FMV, but it doesn't actually show (it plays though, as there is sound). Gameplay also crashed when I tried scrolling with the mouse for whatever reason.

I had an issue, before fixed it, that this game animated anything only when I kept the mouse moving. Maybe the crash is related to that somehow.

Edit: One more game that works is Mr. Driller. But not in fullscreen mode, where there is a distracting large black bar moving up and down over the image. Tested some other games but they were DX4 or DX8...
Edit2: also Panzer Dragoon works. FMVs don't though.
Edit3: Maybe unsurprising, but Claw a game based on the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 engine also works. FMVs fail though. Unlike Jazz Jackrabbit 2, this game fails spectacularly in DXGL.

The FMVs can either be because the GDI/DDraw interact I mentioned earlier or the bug I fixed some day ago. We will see.

Reply 272 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Tarvis, Teleguy:

X-wing and related games should work with the new dgVoodoo version. I've already fixed the black menu screen and another bug so they (or at least MoTS) works nicely in pure DirectDraw mode. When I finish adding old-D3D support (DX2? or DX3?) then it should work with hardware acceleration.

Reply 273 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:

"DX wrapping business and competition has just started, ladies and gentlemen!! Keep attention not to miss anything!!" 😀 🤣

Oh yes, aqrit and I started discussing all that last year:
Re: DirectDraw Wrapper
though I think I mentioned a bunch of them pages back in this thread. DxWnd is actually a bit of a misnomer now, it does a hell of a lot more than just running games in a window. That is more of a "hooker" than a "wrapper" though, 🤣

Was pleased to see later on in that XWA D3D11 wrapper thread that when they linked to gog.com discussing adapting it to XVT/TIE95/etc. that the author over there was Sol_HSA: http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie_fighte … rectstuff/page1

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 274 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

As for the bug I have on my Win8/Nvidia setup it does not appear on this Win7/Nvidia (same driver version) setup either. I have a theory all the refresh rates available on the 120hz monitor might be confusing something, but if that's not it I'll have to reinstall Win8 to eliminate a few potential reasons.

According to that, there must be differences between Win7/Win8 drivers version after all.

So I tested my theory now. Got my old 60hz monitor and it works. On my 120hz monitor, it does not work. I have both connected now and I can just switch the active monitor in Nvidia Control Panel and it'll always work on the 60hz monitor, never on the 120hz monitor.

Is there any info I can give you that will be helpful towards figuring out why that is happening?

Reply 276 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maaaaaan, this wrapper is an awesome piece of tweaking software!
And your little jewel solves this problem too (on Windows 8.1 with fullscreen games)! http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=494 … 748#post4945748

Some questions 😁

*Is it possible (in future releases) to show the original DX version of the game engine? (DX5/DX6/DX7)
*Why is there a 60 FPS cap without forcing the VSync (and with no VSync in game too)? With UT99 and original DX renderer (+ your wrapper) I can't go past 60 FPS.

Reply 277 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tarvis wrote:

Mechwarrior 3 complains that DirectX 6 needs to be installed when using dgVoodoo.

[OT]
Mech 3 (WinXP SP3 compatibility) works perfectly on my Win 7 system (+ i3 530 + 8 GB RAM + Radeon HD 7850) with no wrapper needed, fixing the Z-Buffer related problems with this: http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/83710791/file.html 😜

Such a beautiful game!
[/OT]

Last edited by lowenz on 2014-12-20, 09:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 278 of 3949, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:
[OT] Mech 3 (WinXP SP3 compatibility) works perfectly on my Win 7 system (i3 530 + 8 GB RAM + Radeon HD 7850) with no wrapper ne […]
Show full quote
Tarvis wrote:

[OT]
Mech 3 (WinXP SP3 compatibility) works perfectly on my Win 7 system (i3 530 + 8 GB RAM + Radeon HD 7850) with no wrapper needed, fixing the Z-Buffer related problems with this: http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/83710791/file.html 😜

Such a beautiful game!
[/OT]

Windows 8 isn't so lucky. Any game using DX6 and lower is very slow due to some kind of emulation. Usually means they are all 20FPS or lower.

Reply 279 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not an emulation issue! It's a FULLSCREEN mode issue! In windowed mode there's no problem! See my thread on guru3d: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=494 … 748#post4945748
There's some kind of "limiter" only in fullscreen mode with DX6-DX7 applications! If you can play in windowed mode/borderless fullscreen (windowed) mode there's no more limit!

Take a look here: http://s27.postimg.org/kg5w42ixd/image.jpg (Windows 8.1 + i3 530 + 8 GB RAM + GeForce 750Ti)