VOGONS

First post, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought Socket3 boards would naturally take Pentium OD but I was wrong. I bought Pentium OD just to realize that it does not work on my 486 boards. So how can I tell if a 486 board is POD-friendly? I saw people saying some claimed POD-ready boards are still incompatible with POD on the interwebs, and I can't find the legendary compatibility list produced by Intel.

Reply 1 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is one way: If the board has a large socket (with more openings than the 486 has pins) it might support POD. Otherwise, it definitely won't 😀

Reply 2 of 11, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

There is one way: If the board has a large socket (with more openings than the 486 has pins) it might support POD. Otherwise, it definitely won't 😀

Yes, operative word being 'might'... I have one board where my Pentium Overdrive fits, but it doesn't work properly.
It works fine in a more modern board (I guess BIOS support is lacking on the older one).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 11, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Yes, operative word being 'might'... I have one board where my Pentium Overdrive fits, but it doesn't work properly.
It works fine in a more modern board (I guess BIOS support is lacking on the older one).

That's exactly what I am facing here. The "large" socket would be socket 2 or 3, and my boards have socket 3, but they do not work with POD.

Reply 4 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no quick way. Some boards might behave differently even down to the reversion number.

POD uses writeback L1 cache, and most 486 boards can't handle it. Even if you get a board that can handle write back L1 cache, chances are the L2 cache will need to be disabled to get it going (resulting in a performance hit). Typically boards that fully support POD are going to be very late model (1996-1997) and have PCI slots.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 11, by duncan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi lazibazi 😉

depends on the board you have - you didn´t post model and revision. First step would be to look for the newest BIOS and it´s changelog. iirc, there are some VLB-boards supporting it, with pure ISA I don´t remember well (hardly ever worked with those). If you post model and revision, I could look up my collection of old BIOSes to search for.....

greetings, duncan

Gibt es hier Freiburger? Interessiert an Kontakten.

Reply 6 of 11, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if the board has to do something with the L1 cache since it's inside of the CPU. Anyways I'd for the http://www.stason.org . I'm pretty sure you can find all the info. Then you can find some chipset info on your mobo. These were the google ways (or you can ask on VOGONS 😉 ), the visible hints would be the socket - the required pin count. You'll also need to take a look on the back of the mobo to see if the ZIF 237pin socket has the outline row pins soldered or not - if not, the socket is not electrically compatible, although it physically fits in.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 7 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The extra row of pins don't really do much. As far as I know they are all +5V and GND pins and there are no extra control lines. The bigger socket was probably just part of intel's marketting scam to push the "Pentium Ready" crap on us.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

There is no quick way. Some boards might behave differently even down to the reversion number.

POD uses writeback L1 cache, and most 486 boards can't handle it. Even if you get a board that can handle write back L1 cache, chances are the L2 cache will need to be disabled to get it going (resulting in a performance hit). Typically boards that fully support POD are going to be very late model (1996-1997) and have PCI slots.

Thats not really true at your last sentence.. I have a board here from earlier 1993 / 1994 and accepts a POD83 just as fine..

Maybe some people dont using the right version of the POD.. There is one replacement type, and there is a normal type available. Maybe thats why the POD was rejected.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 11, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Thats not really true at your last sentence.. I have a board here from earlier 1993 / 1994 and accepts a POD83 just as fine..

Maybe some people dont using the right version of the POD.. There is one replacement type, and there is a normal type available. Maybe thats why the POD was rejected.

How to distinguish the versions?

Reply 10 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can see it on the Product ID. But i think that was on the 486 overdrive.. But maybe the Pentium OD was rejected because the board could only cope with Write trough processors.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 11 of 11, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just made some progress with my FIC 486-GAC-2
According to this google group thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/intel … ors/ugQdZSFaypE

Stever3 wrote:
We had the same system and the same pentium overdrive processor and were having the same problems with the system hanging. It's […]
Show full quote

We had the same system and the same pentium overdrive processor and
were having the same problems with the system hanging. It's not so bleak!
There is a jumper, J18, located about two inches left of the processor. J18
is not mentioned in the book. Move the jumper to 2 & 3 on J18. Just
follow the other jumper setting listed in the book. It works! JK1 I think is
the only other one that had to be changed. Good luck!

I moved the J18 from 1-2 to 2-3 and it booted into DOS at least. CPUCHK reports L1 in write-back mode. I can't find any official document about J18 for that board.