VOGONS

Reply 60 of 89, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! 😁

I really love it too, it's such a cool PC to use every day. Since I also am a Linux user it's very exciting and reminiscent (Linux I mean) of how computing used to be. 😀

Here's another shot of it. 😜

12_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8c6n35.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 61 of 89, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hardware and Software Requirements: […]
Show full quote

Hardware and Software Requirements:

In order to access, view and retain electronic Communications that we make available to you, you must have:

an Internet browser that supports 128 bit encryption;
sufficient electronic storage capacity on your computer's hard drive or other data storage unit;
an email account with an Internet service provider and email software in order to participate in our electronic Communications programs;
a personal computer (for PC's: Pentium 120MHz or higher; for Macintosh, Power Mac 9500, Power PC 604 processor 120 MHz Base or higher), operating system and telecommunications connections to the Internet capable of receiving, accessing, displaying and either printing or storing Communications received from us in electronic form via a plain text-formatted email or by access to our website using one of the browsers specified below.

Part of a financial agreement 🤣

Reply 62 of 89, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm probably stretching your definition of "computer" with this answer, but I personally still consider it a computer (A programmable device with microprocessor, memory, storage, input and output)...Texas Instruments TI-86 Graphing Calculator from 1996. Zilog Z80 6MHz, 96KB RAM, 128x64 monochrome LCD, TTL-compatible micro serial port, programmable with BASIC and Z80 assembly. I use it to calculate invoices for customer repair jobs when out in the field, wrote a custom program specifically for this purpose.

Or, depending on your definition of "use", I suppose you could also count the onboard computer that runs the electronics in my 2008 Buick LaCrosse. The car won't run without it, so in a sense I use it every day! 🤣

Beyond that, the oldest system that most everyone would accept in the scope of this thread is only a couple years old. Lenovo IdeaPad P400, Core i7-3632QM 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, DVD burner, wi-fi, 14in touchscreen, Windows 8.1, typical boring modern-day computer stuff. I use a couple slightly older Windows 7 systems at work, but since they're not "mine" proper as the OP originally stated, they don't count.

Reply 63 of 89, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have had to abuse my dual P3 every day lately as it's the last one I have capable of rendering videos from Vegas.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 64 of 89, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Have had to abuse my dual P3 every day lately as it's the last one I have capable of rendering videos from Vegas.

What about your Core 2 Quad you hate so much? 🤣 Does the cigarette ash not make a good thermal compound for the cpu? 😜

You need to make some more vids man, you're slackin!

Reply 65 of 89, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Quad is pretty much busted. Increasingly unstable and last time I went near it it failed repeatedly to run NFSIII (A Windows 98-era game) and refuses to break past 11% when rendering videos. The last couple of things I uploaded were from the P3.

Unfortunately, the P3 decided to stop working but I suspect it is a cable I didn't connect properly when I went in to tweak it. Other than that I've had problems with pernicious anemia.

Believe me I'm trying to put something together but it's not easy and I don't have the funds, seem to be getting poorer and poorer and am going to sell some stuff off. I have a brand new GT 730 to get rid of, some new DDR2 and that Korg, might get rid of some surplus CPUs too. Likely to grab a shoddy i5 bundle later in the year.

Reply 66 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

The Quad is pretty much busted. Increasingly unstable and last time I went near it it failed repeatedly to run NFSIII (A Windows 98-era game) and refuses to break past 11% when rendering videos. The last couple of things I uploaded were from the P3.

Unfortunately, the P3 decided to stop working but I suspect it is a cable I didn't connect properly when I went in to tweak it. Other than that I've had problems with pernicious anemia.

Believe me I'm trying to put something together but it's not easy and I don't have the funds, seem to be getting poorer and poorer and am going to sell some stuff off. I have a brand new GT 730 to get rid of, some new DDR2 and that Korg, might get rid of some surplus CPUs too. Likely to grab a shoddy i5 bundle later in the year.

Have you thought of taking iron supplements, or Vitamin B12?

Reply 67 of 89, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thing is, I already had about 1000% in my diet, my guts simply don't absorb it so I have to be injected for the rest of my life, they really didn't want to do that though and weren't happy until I could hardly walk and it started to greatly affect my vision, also I may have permanently lost sensation in my fingertips and they think I've developed a gastric ulcer. Not much fun, hopefully nothing goes wrong this year.

Editing is almost finished on something though, I only hope it isn't going to turn out boring.

Reply 68 of 89, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added a 3.5" diskette drive today to the Faux Retro computer. 🤣

I also had the PSU fail yesterday and start whining at me, but I replaced it today after work and all is well again. 😁
800_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8cse52.jpg

Reply 69 of 89, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oldest computer in actual use for productive work?

MacBook Pro 13" Late-2011. Hahaha, anything older is strictly for leisure! 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 70 of 89, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I repaired a 386 last month which drives the spring load testing machine in quality lab of the plant where I work. In one of my previous jobs, an old computer (which I don't know what kind) with a 8" floppy drive was managing an old chemical analysis equipment (it was about 15 years ago, though).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 71 of 89, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Oldest computer in actual use for productive work?

MacBook Pro 13" Late-2011. Hahaha, anything older is strictly for leisure! 😉

Now that would heavily depend on the type of work you're doing, wouldn't it?

Hell with this is in mind i could even do productive work on a typewriter 😁

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 72 of 89, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The older PC that I use at home is a computer equipped with Asus P5B with a Xeon X5450 modified for socket 775, 4GB DDR2, nVidia 9800GTX +, Debian stable + Windows 7. I've never been a lover of "last hardware release rush", this computer is fine for what I do: some video games more modern, Lightroom, navigation and various software Linux related.

Reply 73 of 89, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me it would have to be my Dell OptiPlex 745 SFF running XP 64-bit. It's a 1.8ghz C2D, 2GB DDR2-667, 80GB HDD, and a Radeon HD2400. It's sole function is as a 24/7/365 streaming webcam server for two outdoor security cams, I rarely ever even turn the monitor on.

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 74 of 89, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:
Added a 3.5" diskette drive today to the Faux Retro computer. lol […]
Show full quote

Added a 3.5" diskette drive today to the Faux Retro computer. 🤣

I also had the PSU fail yesterday and start whining at me, but I replaced it today after work and all is well again. 😁
800_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8cse52.jpg

What OS you running on it?

Reply 75 of 89, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's dual booted between Windows 7 Ultimate and Fedora Linux 20. I like to spend most of my time in linux, I've got the MATE desktop environment on all my Fedora computers. It's the operating system I never knew I wanted until I started using it, now I can't stop. 🤣

Reply 76 of 89, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick6 wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Hahaha, anything older is strictly for leisure! 😉

Now that would heavily depend on the type of work you're doing, wouldn't it?

I was only speaking personally, of course. YMMV. 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 78 of 89, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah there is a connector on the board. Fedora doesn't seem to like it however, but once I figure out what it's gripe is then it should work fine. 😜

Reply 79 of 89, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah there is a connector on the board. Fedora doesn't seem to like it however, but once I figure out what it's gripe is then it should work fine. 😜

Did you try making a mount point and doing

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/<whatever>

on the console?

I haven't had many problems with Linux and floppies although it isn't as seemless as DOS/Windows