VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 321 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that's it, missing polygons in the landscape. Happens with Jack Fauste's fixes when running fullscreen. Starting the game in a window from the launcher doesn't have this issue. I haven't tried your wrapper fully on it yet though. I guess DXWND could work to scale up the window fullscreen, but that's a little more work.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 322 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And another game: Final Racing by Front FarEast (I have a copy that was released in Europe by Midas, it's the Hot Blood Version if that helps haha!) - works fine (you have to watch the whole long intro first, then later fire ups of the game you can skip it). Needs Win95 compatibility and 16bit colour to work. However it has some textures (that should be black I think) as transparent. This bug also affects Incoming by Rage (parts of the alien ships are transparent, but your DX wrapper won't work, the game throws an error at bootup), it might be specific to my Nvidia 980 card though. Could be something you could fix?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 323 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

but your DX wrapper won't work, the game throws an error at bootup), it might be specific to my Nvidia 980 card though. Could be something you could fix?

So seems dgVoodoo does not work at all with your card.
1. Does the setup application works properly? Does it detect DirectX11 and enumerates resolutions on Glide tab?
2. Glide emulation works?
3. What happens when you try to launch TD6 with dgv 2.4? (I checked that with it and it should start)

Reply 324 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will look into this tonight. To be sure is 2.4 on your site the latest to test? And can I check that the setup program; it saves its values to an AppPath location, so only needs running once, doesn't need putting into every game folder?

I use nGlide for 3Dfx emulation, so haven't tried dgVoodoo2's Glide yet. On one game (I forget which) I did see a screen with the dgVoodoo watermark briefly, but I was going to use Extreme-G2 as my main test (when I get to it, stuck in game re-install hell currently) as I can see from others that that should work completely.

Reply 325 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will look into this tonight. To be sure is 2.4 on your site the latest to test?

Ok, thanks. Yes, 2.4 is the latest released one, but I attached a link to a modified setup version in one of my recent posts which fixes the bug for the resolution combo box.

it saves its values to an AppPath location, so only needs running once, doesn't need putting into every game folder?

Yes, it's enough to run it once. Saving the config is not important now, I'm curious only for the setup GUI and the available options.
I mean, check if the GUI is not disabled (so that DX11 is detected) and if you can see various resolutions listed in the resolution combo box on Glide page.
If that works then DX11 is apparently can be used at basic level with your card through dgVoodoo so that would indiciate another thing of because you cannot use the wrapper.

Reply 326 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VirtuaIceMan has a 144hz/1440p monitor. He should have the same problem as me.

VirtuaIceMan: I would wait until next dgVoodoo2 release before trying to run games with it. Some work, but many have problems with resolution enumeration on high-res/high-refresh monitors. If you can connect a 1080p/60 monitor you can try that.

Reply 327 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VirtuaIceMan has a 144hz/1440p monitor. He should have the same problem as me.

True... I should have had look at his system specs, sorry.

I would wait until next dgVoodoo2 release

Before that, I will share a beta here, I think, to test with. Just to make sure.

Reply 328 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
So seems dgVoodoo does not work at all with your card. 1. Does the setup application works properly? Does it detect DirectX11 an […]
Show full quote

but your DX wrapper won't work, the game throws an error at bootup), it might be specific to my Nvidia 980 card though. Could be something you could fix?

So seems dgVoodoo does not work at all with your card.
1. Does the setup application works properly? Does it detect DirectX11 and enumerates resolutions on Glide tab?
2. Glide emulation works?
3. What happens when you try to launch TD6 with dgv 2.4? (I checked that with it and it should start)

1. DirectX11 is shown in General tab under API in ordering and your test setup menu. Under Glide page the Resolution list is empty (just Unforced) but in your new test menu the list appears.

2. Glide mode works fine (NFS2SE tested) and resolution is selected correctly.

3. When I try the DX wrapper, I see in TD6's boot up Properties pop-up, under 3D Device, "dgVoodoo DirectDraw Wrapper" twice (usually I see NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 twice), however launching the game it tries to launch (black window in top left corner), then just exits.

Reply 330 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come up with a dirty hack to run Test Drive 6 full screen (a bit like my "hand-rolled" music player hack 🤣): Re: Test Drive 6 - No music

It'll do for now, though 640x480 res is pretty dreadful to look at on a high-res screen!

Reply 331 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I shared the current work-in-progress version of DX emulation for testing purposes, in which the resolution/refresh rate thing is fixed.
A short description for the new way it works: if a game does not specify a refresh rate to runt at (common case), then dgVoodoo chooses the supported one that is closest to 60Hz. I also enabled the resolution combobox on the DirectX setup page so you can override the general refresh rate (but resolution overriding is still unsupported, so only the refresh rate applies). In this case display modes will be enumerated only with the overridden refresh rate to the applications.

(I also did some debugging on TD6: it still has texture corruptions because it has revealed that TD6 uses an unimplemented DDraw method. I would like to fix that in the next version.)

http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodooWIP.zip

Reply 332 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Woohoo!
Jedi Knight is working.

1024x576.resizedimage

Got a crash to desktop once when accessing the menu but that might just be an aberration.

Edit: Software mode only shows a black screen.

Tie Fighter is not working. There are some glitches during the intro movies like flickering and color corruption when pressing the ESC key. The menu/concourse only shows a black screen.

X-Wing Alliance: 3d mode works fine but performance is a bit low. Software mode still only shows the hud with the loading screen flickering in the background.

Shadows of the Empire shows an error message (attached below) and quits.

Also using dgvoodoo seems to force Firefox into window mode.

Attachments

• Shadows 2.jpg
    Filename
    Shadows 2.jpg
    File size
    25.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 334 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wipeout XL works now and Outlaws properly initializes the 3D renderer (mode switches are still painful in Outlaws). They both have some pretty nasty issues with texture transparency though. Wipeout XL has a demo (16-bit installer though): https://archive.org/details/WIPEOUT_201406

Movie playback now works in Dark Reign, Magic & Mayhem and Tiberian Sun (didn't check the others).

Dune 2000 with the latest fan patch works too now. Seems to run pretty much perfectly (this game is much less cooperative with newer systems than C&C95/RA).

Urban Chaos works now. I remember playing this, but I don't remember the awful 20 FPS lock this game has (it is the game though; not dgVoodoo's fault).

Icewind Dale II "works" now. Graphic glitches all over the place though. Not playable.

Postal seems to work perfectly.

I still have 1080p problems in Total Annihilation and I've tested and I get the same problem if I select 1080p in Tiberian Sun or Soul Reaver too.

Basically games have black bars on the left, right and bottom sides. Graphics are distorted. Cursor position is misplaced and reaching the bottom and right sides of the screen is impossible.

Fun thing, I tried "fixing" this by creating a 1918x1080 solution and it worked... Before I even selected/told games to use that resolution. Remove the 1918x1080 custom resolution and 1920x1080 is broken again.

Is it just me? Are 1080p rendered games working for other Nvidia users?

Reply 336 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, thanks for the feedback.
My short answer is:

Is it Shadows of Empries? Not an other Starwars game? There are so many of them that I can hardly distinguish between them. 😀
It works fine for me, altough the ingame FPS goes to 20FPS but I get the same with native DX.
I checked, the game consumes very tiny CPU and GPU power so it must be some kind of timing issues.
Maybe a compatibility setting for the game would solve the problem.

Shadows_2015_01_15_18_59_49_31.png

Haven't tried other Starwars games (except MotS), and neither a lot of others but they are on the todo list.

Icewind Dale II "works" now. Graphic glitches all over the place though. Not playable.

I still have 1080p problems in Total Annihilation and I've tested and I get the same problem if I select 1080p in Tiberian Sun or Soul Reaver too.

Will check those too, after I reach bugfixing state.

Is it possible to get a scaled fullscreen mode with aspect correction?

Well, it's a question that annoys me for a while. The DXGI API allows only centered or stretched (and 'unspecified' what means one of the two according to my experience) but not 'stretched with keeping aspect ratio'.
The only way I could achieve that was forcing it through the nVidia control panel. I guess there are similar options in Catalyst Control Center.

nvidia_control_center.png

The point is, select 'Aspect ratio' for scaling mode, set 'Perform scaling on' to 'GPU' and check 'Override the scaling mode set by games and programs', as shown on the picture (it's not from my PC).

Reply 338 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Guys, thanks for the feedback. My short answer is: […]
Show full quote

Guys, thanks for the feedback.
My short answer is:

Is it Shadows of Empries? Not an other Starwars game? There are so many of them that I can hardly distinguish between them. 😀
It works fine for me, altough the ingame FPS goes to 20FPS but I get the same with native DX.
I checked, the game consumes very tiny CPU and GPU power so it must be some kind of timing issues.
Maybe a compatibility setting for the game would solve the problem.

Shadows_2015_01_15_18_59_49_31.png

Yes, that's the one. I think it's because I downloaded this fix.
Any success of running Star Wars : Shadow Of The Empire on a recent PC ?

I tried the demo and it's working fine.

Reply 339 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

Sadly, AMD CCC doesn't have the override setting. I'm using Radeon 5770 with latest drivers (14.12). 😵

Well, for a while I've been pondering on exposing or not exposing the 'unspecified' scaling mode in the setup.
When I tested 'unspecified' it seemed to have no effect on my nVidia while I expected it to choose a scaling mode set in the graphics control panel in that case.
I'm not sure if that would work for AMD, I should try that somehow.