VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 400 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your efforts Dege, Blood2 now runs perfectly!
In setup/launcher window why I can select my real card (GeForce 750ti) and the game runs pretty well too (without selecting dgvoodoo virtual card)? Is it intended? The choice between the listed VGAs (the real one and dgVoodoo one) isn't important?

Mech 3 can't run yet, it crashes at launch 🙁

Reply 401 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Thanks for your efforts Dege, Blood2 now runs perfectly!
In setup/launcher window why I can select my real card (GeForce 750ti) and the game runs pretty well too (without selecting dgvoodoo virtual card)? Is it intended? The choice between the listed VGAs (the real one and dgVoodoo one) isn't important?

It's because DDraw enumerates all available devices by names coming from the graphics card vendor(s)/driver(s) and an extra one, the 'primary display' (which is one of them depending how the user configured display in Windows desktop setup).
In dgVoodoo, the same logic is followed but only the name of the 'primary display device' is changed to 'dgVoodoo' and all the other use the native name coming from DX11 enumeration. It is intended, I didn't want to change those names to some bland 'dgVoodoo' or something like that in order to provide the chance of dishtinguishing between two different type of adapters; for example, I sometimes use a GeForce and an Intel HD together and like to know which one I select. 😀 But other than that, they are all emulated devices, only their names are native.

Mech 3 can't run yet, it crashes at launch 🙁

OK, it's on the list.

Reply 402 of 3949, by Zeddicus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could anyone tell me how to configure Blood2 to make it work? For me it doesn't work maybe because I'm trying the demo version?
In software mode it runs but with graphical errors and the mouse cursor is at the center of the screen, and it crash randomly. In d3d mode it won't work. Just falls back to software mode. I tried so many times now.

Monster Truck Madness 2 seems to work fine in d3d but with 3dfx it's just black screen.

Jedi Knight 2: Mysteries of the Sith demo seems to work ok. Some graphical gliches on the models (I don't remember this being part of the game.) Otherwise looks awesome at 1080 with 8x AA. Fantastic work dege! Thank you for your hard work. 😀

Reply 403 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zeddicus wrote:

Could anyone tell me how to configure Blood2 to make it work? For me it doesn't work maybe because I'm trying the demo version?
In software mode it runs but with graphical errors and the mouse cursor is at the center of the screen, and it crash randomly. In d3d mode it won't work. Just falls back to software mode. I tried so many times now.

GOG release + game configuration with the launcher (remove all checks!).
It runs really well, with 16:9 mod too ( www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/blood_2_ ... ased/page1 ), just limit the resolution to 1600x900.

Reply 405 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone else over at DXGL forums just requested help from DXGL with "War Gods", saying that it is a D3D1 game (!!!). I coincidentally own it and can probably test it when D3D1 support is ready.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 406 of 3949, by StrikerMan780

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Dege: It would appear that Hellbender forces the screen to 640x480 16bpp. That may be why it color bands so badly. Perhaps there's some way that dgVoodoo could forcefully override this. If not, I may dig around the EXE in IDA Pro and see if I can patch the executable. (Like I did when removing the game's 11025khz sampling rate limit). (EDIT: No luck, found two values that might have helped, but it makes no difference if I change them. Perhaps dgVoodoo is indeed rendering at 32bpp, but the game is making look like it's running at a lower color depth. Strangely enough, the brighter the lighting (like from the headlight, or light from weapon flashes), the less color banding.)

As for the depth issue, I wonder if 16-bit depth buffering would fix it? If not, perhaps there's some other cause and possible fix/workaround. It's not the only game I've noticed with similar issues.

The one thing I'm hoping for, is an option to prevent the game from changing/forcing screen resolution.

Last edited by StrikerMan780 on 2015-01-27, 20:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 407 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Final Fantasy VII demo - Crash if hardware acceleration is selected, software acceleration works fine (most people will use updated D3D and OGL renderers available for this game though).

La-Mulana - Palette issues. If you're on Win8, DXGL is a good reference for how it should look (it's painfully slow to run natively).

Reply 408 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone else over at DXGL forums just requested help from DXGL with "War Gods", saying that it is a D3D1 game (!!!). I coincidentally own it and can probably test it when D3D1 support is ready.

There is no D3D1. DirectX3 was the first DirectX release in which Direct3D appeared (the one Carmack blamed so much in his open letter), DX1 and DX2 provided only DirectDraw.
DX4 never existed, so the D3D order is 3, 5, 6, 7.

It would appear that Hellbender forces the screen to 640x480 16bpp. That may be why it color bands so badly. Perhaps there's some way that dgVoodoo could forcefully override this.

Yes, but I'm afraid it is done through GDI and dgVoodoo cannot do much in that case. Overriding needed parts of GDI is still only future plan. 🙁

As for the depth issue, I wonder if 16-bit depth buffering would fix it?

Z-buffers always have the same bit depth inside the emulation as shown to the application (vs 8/16 bit color buffers using 32 bit rendering in the background). I don't want to change this because it would bring in other issues and make the application/emulation interact way more complicated.
But I guess Hellbender uses 16 bit zbuffer.

Reply 410 of 3949, by EAH_XxHeReTiKxX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TO THE DGVOODOO 2 TEAM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you very much. The DGVoodoo fix has been working EXCELLENT for players of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith.

Both of these games were "re-released" by Steam and GOG (Just today) WITHOUT any fixes for modern GPU's.

I would like to report that latest build Windows 10 BUILD 9926 + DirectX 12 + NVIDIA we are having problems with DGVoodoo. I look forward to the next update!

I can report that DGVoodoo 2 with Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith Windows 10 BUILD 9841 + DirectX 11 + AMD RADEON 6850 is working well.

GOG Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2/Mysteries of the Sith forum. Many people having great success with DGVoodoo.
www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_dark_forces ... 1422413063

Thanks,
EAH_XxHeReTiKxX

Reply 411 of 3949, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

can probably test it when D3D1 support is ready.

There is no D3D1. DirectX3 was the first DirectX release in which Direct3D appeared (the one Carmack blamed so much in his open letter), DX1 and DX2 provided only DirectDraw.

IDirect3D --> DirectX 2 (or 3)
IDirect3D2 --> DirectX 5
IDirect3D3 --> DirectX 6
IDirect3D7 --> DirectX 7

The DirectX 2 SDK from http://craig.theeislers.com/ has the d3d docs and binaries, all with the correct dates for DirectX2 ...

Reply 415 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aqrit wrote:
IDirect3D --> DirectX 2 (or 3) IDirect3D2 --> DirectX 5 IDirect3D3 --> DirectX 6 IDirect3D7 --> DirectX 7 […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

can probably test it when D3D1 support is ready.

IDirect3D --> DirectX 2 (or 3)
IDirect3D2 --> DirectX 5
IDirect3D3 --> DirectX 6
IDirect3D7 --> DirectX 7

The DirectX 2 SDK from http://craig.theeislers.com/ has the d3d docs and binaries, all with the correct dates for DirectX2 ...

Yeah, I think that's what they meant by "D3D1" 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 416 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are still a few problems with Jedi Knight. When using the -windowgui option (which Steam does automatically) the game crashes very often upon entering the game menu with the fault caused by dxgi.dll. Also the game crashes when you select one of the higher resolutions in software mode.

Edit: The crashes on the menu screen seem to be caused by an incompatibility with Radeonpro's overlay.

Reply 417 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had/have a very few time on this week, but

TO THE DGVOODOO 2 TEAM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you very much. The DGVoodoo fix has been working EXCELLENT for players of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith.

It's not a team. It's just me. 😀 Anyway, great news! 😎

I would like to report that latest build Windows 10 BUILD 9926 + DirectX 12 + NVIDIA we are having problems with DGVoodoo. I look forward to the next update!

As for Win10, I'm going to wait for the first final release of it. It's true that I mentioned Win10 compatibility in the readme (just for fun), maybe shouldn't have to do that. (But I don't yet know where to install it, I don't want to get rid of the nice UI of Win7. Win10 has the same flat UI like Win8. 😢 )

There are still a few problems with Jedi Knight. When using the -windowgui option (which Steam does automatically) the game crashes very often upon entering the game menu with the fault caused by dxgi.dll. Also the game crashes when you select one of the higher resolutions in software mode.

I'm planning to test all StarWars games myself and see what issues we have there. Currently MotS and Shadows Of the Empire the only ones I tested.

Problem with No One Lives Forever (GOTY Edition): intro videos don't play (but you can disable the videos so no big problem here) and some textures don't show up in-game

NOLF and GTA2 revealed some incompatibilites between dgVoodoo and MS DDraw. I can and will fix those but the bad news is that NOLF uses DXTC (compressed) textures what aren't supported in dgVoodoo. I either implement it or NOLF won't work but it's a worryingly cool game to not deal with it. Anyway, it's an unplanned development. 😵

I also tried MechWarrior3. It suffers from a little incompatibility too, but when I helped it through the problematic part by the debugger then it run and looked beautifully.

Yes, it's a cool blog. I wanted to download those old SDK's from there but the files were removed. 😒

So it looks I did a mistake but I relied on the 'DirectX Then and Now' article in which there is the statement:

DirectX 3 was where we first launched Direct3D, based on the technology of Rendermorphics, a company we acquired earlier that year.

However I could download a preliminary document about a planned driver model for Win9x which contained D3D. Maybe that was included in DX2 SDK, I don't know.

Reply 418 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

I'm planning to test all StarWars games myself and see what issues we have there. Currently MotS and Shadows Of the Empire the only ones I tested.

My observation with Jedi Knight is that the game's menus are unstable whatever you do when running on Windows 8. It seems more stable with dgVoodoo than without though. Some of the resolutions in software mode crash with dgVoodoo whether the -windowgui switch is used or not. I haven't tested this much but the game actually reports more resolutions available using dgVoodoo than it does with native DDraw, and it may be these extra resolutions that crash.

The only other issues I spotted were the loading bars not rendering correctly when not using the -windowgui switch (they appear either black or flicker), and black frames appearing in the video cutscenes. The cutscene glitches may be happening without dgVoodoo, but to a lesser extent. Other than that the game seems pretty much perfect!

Reply 419 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

I also tried MechWarrior3. It suffers from a little incompatibility too, but when I helped it through the problematic part by the debugger then it run and looked beautifully.

This is awesome (Mech 3 is a great piece of BattleTech universe) and I dare ask you: the ground textures with dgVoodoo are correctly blended/filtered or not? ( -> http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4967791&postcount=4 )