VOGONS

Reply 20 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wow, I think that iOS sounds identical to the original - Monkey Island is not SC optimized it is MT-32. If you have chance to record Gabriel Knight Intro menu track I will be interested to hear it, But looks like this will actually push me to upgrade iPad.. Thanks for those examples!

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••

Reply 22 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well today lot of people have iPhone or iPad, so i understand this move. I prefer this mobile device thing more, because i can use it as old HW module or DosBox solution.

Reply 23 of 56, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose they also do this because it's easier for them to limit piracy of their products. It's probably a lot easier to crack a VST than to crack an IOS app...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 24 of 56, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You beat me to it, khokh. I'm really impressed at the likeness between them. Perhaps my ears are not up to the level of a discerning audiophile, but I hear no immediate difference between. It seems they used the exact ROM samples for the iOS Sound Canvas. More over, they included the original Sound Canvas CM-64 emulation maps. So even MT-32 tracks seem identical against a hardware SC-55.

Reply 26 of 56, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I received my iRig MIDI 2 today and fired up a couple of games in both DosBox as well as ScummVM. I was trying to test it out on the quick. So I didn't bother with one of my actual old school rigs.

Long story short, it works great. I can't tell (with my amateur ears) any difference between the iOS Sound Canvas and one of my real Sound Canvases. The SC-55 map sounds just like a real SC-55. Same thing with the SC-88 map. I can't compare the SC-88Pro or SC-8820 maps, because I don't have a hardware version of either of those.

The only thing that I noticed that's not as good as the real thing is the response time on the virtual LCD for the volume of each of the parts. It lags a bit and doesn't compare well against a real Sound Canvas display.

I could easily see how a capable laptop, MUNT (or ScummVM), copies of your MT-32 roms, DosBox, and this iOS SoundCanvas would make for a heck of a portable gaming rig for your old DOS games.

Last edited by QBiN on 2015-02-10, 14:51. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 27 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just heard the comparisons khokh2001 posted, the virtual SC does an awesome job

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28 of 56, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
MMaximus wrote:

I wish they would release it as a VST instead 😖

But they did, years ago. Nothing new.

They did, but the old "Virtual Sound Canvas" was not really accurate IIRC, whereas this new IOS version seems to sound much better!

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 29 of 56, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question for me is how would you record the music digitally instead of analog?

Searches for iphone toslink say you can send the music through AirPlay and then the apple tv can output via toslink.

What do you think?

I still have an old iphone so I can't try this yet.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 30 of 56, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
gerwin wrote:
MMaximus wrote:

I wish they would release it as a VST instead 😖

But they did, years ago. Nothing new.

They did, but the old "Virtual Sound Canvas" was not really accurate IIRC, whereas this new IOS version seems to sound much better!

Yeah, their Virtual Sound Canvas was really not very good to be honest. Too many instrument samples are different. It's slightly better than the Microsoft Synth though. It would be nice if the Sound Canvas app wasn't iOS exclusive. 😐

Listened to the MP3 recordings...pretty nice. That Halo Pad in DOOM E2M2 sounds so much better than the dull lifeless drone from the VSC.

Reply 31 of 56, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On another note, I don't really understand why this app requires a newer Idevice to work. I have an Ipad 3, it's not even 3 years old but apparently it's not recent enough to run this app.

The obsolescence rate of apple products is a joke 😒

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 32 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that is my issue. i have iPad2 with iRig and it is totally useless. That is why I ask here first if the app is really 99%+ same as the original HW. I will get iPhone6 Plus.

Reply 33 of 56, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dank0 wrote:

Yeah, that is my issue. i have iPad2 with iRig and it is totally useless. That is why I ask here first if the app is really 99%+ same as the original HW. I will get iPhone6 Plus.

For the purposes of gaming (I'm not a musician of any sort) I have not been able to hear or detect any difference between a hardware Sound Canvas and the iOS app. The app even responds to common SysEx messages. For example, using the SysEx commands to remap to the MT-32/CM-64 sound map works perfectly and sounds "as good" as an original SC-55 playing a MT-32 soundtrack.

Reply 34 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, it will be nice to see Roland release MT-32 app and Yamaha any MU app and I don't have to be worried that one of my pressure ISA cards/Modules will die on me 😉

Reply 35 of 56, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

We could all contact Roland and ask for a modern Windows compatible version. It shouldn't be hard for them.

I wonder if Roland would actually do anything if everyone asks them about a PC compatible/VST release of it...? Would it be worth a try? They did previously release "Virtual Sound Canvas" for Windows, but that was poor quality, inaccurate, and barely better than the MS Synth.

Reply 36 of 56, by ravippe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi im a big sierra fan but this whole midi stuff totally confuses me. I tried to read this thread for an hour trying to make sense of it.

If you could try to say yes or no, then give explaination if possible, im really interested but kinda slow with midi.

So theres an app on the store which emulates the old mt32 or whatever unit box that people used to use for great sound right?

People here are talking about hooking up their pc to the ipad ...sending sound from the pc dosbox to the ipad instead of the old boxes right? Im thinking this is nice to prevent boxes getting old right?

I think thats what everyone is talking about, is their a way i can use idos2 on the app store to send mt32 output to the roland sound canvas app WITHOUT any midi irigs or cables or anything? just to use my ipad as a gaming machine with great sound?

If the above is not possible, could i buy an irig midi 2 , load idos2 have the midi mt 32 from lets say space quest 3 go from idos2 to the midi out with a midi cable, then just insert the other end and loop it back to the midi in and somehow get soundcanvas to make the sound?

the last question i had was, why would anyone want to send sound from a pc to an ipad for better sound when there are great programs for the pc that emulate mt32 like scumm for windows, or dosbox with munt installed (special munt edition). is it because the quality and repoduction is more accurate ?

thanks for the advise! i hope that this might work.

Reply 37 of 56, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This guide shows you how to setup Munt MT-32 emulator with DOSBox: https://youtu.be/j_5RWxHHVvE

If you are playing an old Sierra game on an old DOS PC, like a 386, you can't run Munt on that same PC. You have to run it on another PC and it acts as a MIDI device. I show this here:

https://youtu.be/nvuncHhza5A

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 38 of 56, by ravippe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i gotcha those links are helpful, but what about the irig midi 2 with he cable thing looped like i explained. would that let me play sierra games with better sound without a pc? i know i would have to purchase sound canvas app Think thAT would work?

Reply 39 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No! IOS restrictions on background apps. Wait for iDOS to implement munt... https://github.com/litchie/dospad/issues/1

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper