VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was hoping to get the DOS version of Cthuga cthuging again, but realized after setting it up that DOSBox doesn't seem to support microphone input on any of it's emulated audio devices. Can folks confirm if that's the case, and let me know if there has been any work toward supporting microphone input?

Cthuga seems to support CD input as well. Though it will play CD audio with a mounted CD, it doesn't seem to pick up on the audio, not sure if that's because it just tries to do so via the mic, or if there is some issue with reading CD audio.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Cthugha uses controls on the soundcard to select an input: microphone, line-in, or CD. DOSBox does not support audio input in the SB or GUS emulation, and I haven't seen any attempts to implement it. There is a workaround to get the Creative Parrot to run, but it's not actual input. The few DOS programs I'm aware of that could use the feature aren't really games, in the strict sense, although they are for entertainment.

Reply 2 of 4, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is an old thread, but still a feature I'd like to see tackled. I know it's not a "game" but another piece of DOS eyecandy supporting mic/line-in input would be 2ynesthesia / Synesthesia IIx.

Can anyone suggest if other DOS VMs provide Soundblaster emulation? I know VirtualBox does, but 2ynesthesia won't proceed beyond it's initial image generation with it.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 3 of 4, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just setup Cthugha myself to find that the CD input does not work. Makes sense though that the Sound Blaster CD input is not emulated though. That's too bad. I'd take stab at it but don't have the time right now.

Classic Gaming Arena
Home for all your DOS multiplayer gaming needs.

Reply 4 of 4, by [HYBRID BEING]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a game which uses a mic as a feature - Madspace, an obscure gem, that somehow got released on Steam. Description says nothing about that but it has voice control, not a necessary feature but would have been pretty nice. It also has VR headset support, a bit off, but how does Dosbox fairs with that?