Compuadd branded motherboard
-Chips and Technologies chipset
-Onboard WD ide controller
-Pheonix Keyboard Controller
120MB WD AC2120
1.44MB floppy
512K tseng ET4000
235W SPI ATX Power supply with AT converter
-The original 200W senstron blew up in an accident where the power switch shorted to ground(The power switch on the side of the front bezel was the wrong kind of switch it had 0.187" solder receptacles instead of 0.187" quick connect receptacles as a result the wires (with .187" quick connect terminals) where loose and shorted with the case)(It still baffels me that anyone ever thought it was a good idea to run 120VAC(or 240V in other countries) to switch on the front of the box instead of doing the safe thing and put the switch on the back of the power supply)
-The power switch on the front of the unit is now there just for show , since I shorted the power on therminals on the atx unit and I turn the computer on/off with the switch on the back of the PSU.

I am considering upgrading the ram to 16MB( from 4MB) but, I am not sure if it will take the full 16MB that the 386SX can adress, I found some old ads in old issues of PC World and Info World on Google books that say that it was upgradeable to 4MB I'm not sure if that is the true hardware limit ( only 22 of 24 adress lines connected) or if it is was just marketing bunk to protect sales of more expensive models.

I have also been looking at coprocessors There are some sellers on ebay from china that have have them for ~$11 shipped most of them have a copyright from '86, but one seller has one that has a copyright date of '98, Is the '98 version real ( possibly a newer stepping because intel sold the 386 for embedded use for years after they were obsoleted in the PC market) or a fake knockoff?

Reply 1 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 386SX is probably well equipped with 4MB RAM, everything that needs more RAM will run slow on that CPU anyway. I do understand the urge to upgrade everything to the maximum, though. You'd probably end up using the RAM for disk cache mostly.
I wouldn't bother with the coprocessor. Not important for games until Pentium, and most programs that would profit from a 387 would probably run better on a 486. But this has been discussed before.

Reply 2 of 17, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reason I want to upgrade the ram is because I have installed windows 95 on the machine, I wanted to see how usable the computer is with 95 with a decent amount of ram, I have noticed that a few games run faster in windows 95 than they did in Windows 3.1, notably asteroids from the Microsoft Arcade Collection, my guess is that the windows 95 Tseng driver is better than any Tseng driver avliable for windows 3.1.

Reply 3 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

95 on a 386-16?? OH MY GOD

Anyway I am surprised the limit is so low. I have a Compuadd 486DX/33 and it will take 64MB of RAM

Only way to know is get some 30 pin simms and try them

Reply 5 of 17, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I order a 4x4mb 16mb kit thinking that i would get FPM and got EDO modules.
The system would not post, do you think the problem is that the system is completely incompatible with EDO?
The chips on the modules are Toshiba TC5117405CSJ, I found a part number cross reference that indicated the TC5117405 means that they are 4m x 4bit EDO chips and the equivalent fast page part number is TC5117400.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-4MB-16MB-30pin-SIM … =item2a2b4916d8

Reply 9 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i486_inside wrote:

I bought some 386sx SBC's for a few $10 to steal the 3 chip 4MB simms off of and when i put them in the compuadd it starts up with the first 64k failure beep code.

Are you sure they are regular FPM ram sticks?

Personally I would rather spend a little more and know what I am getting. This is where I got the 30 pin simms for my Compuadd 486:http://www.oempcworld.com/

Although the first set I got had 2 corroded sticks and had to be returned.

Reply 10 of 17, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried moving sticks around, and managed to get it to post sucessfully but it only recongnized the 2x4mb sticks as 1mb each, then I added two other stick then the system booted with some garbage on the screen and said soething abour parity error and the system was unresponsive to input, and I've tried moving the stick around sometimes it throws out DMA errors other times memory errors.

Reply 11 of 17, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If i put pressure on the sticks in the slots i could make it post but the coputer would only recognixe 4MB even though there is 16mb installed.
either there are only 22 connected address lines, there is a chipset limitation, or a bios limitation.

Reply 14 of 17, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
funcle wrote on 2022-08-02, 23:05:

Any chance you have the dip switch settings for the Compuadd 316s? Trying to upgrade to 4mb.. Thanks!

To my knowledge there were no dip switch configurations, you'll need a setup floppy for a 386 Phoenix or AMI or whatever type of BIOS this has, it's been years since I've messed with this so I don't remember exactly what BIOS setup floppy I used. Although there may have been a rudimentary setup you can get to if you force an error like holding down a key and getting a stuck key error or removing the cmos battery and getting an invalid checksum error. But I don't remember if that basic setup allows you to change the memory size like you can with the boot floppy.

Reply 17 of 17, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had 95 on a DTK 386sx-25

Slow but not unusable for business tasks.

Although rare a 386sx with cache is usually a lot faster in 95, if you get good ram try to set 0 wait states.

I’ve found many SX systems seem to puke out above 12mb of ram, it depends on your 16 bit perepherals and the system itself.