VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 540 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I get the same thing with Blood 2 with both those options checked, going to video options makes the game enter windowed mode. Win8/Nvidia.

Dungeon Keeper 2 is looking great. Not the GoG builld, that wasn't being cooperative. Had some color corruption issues here and there though. Not sure if it's dgVoodoo 2, Dungeon Keeper 2's instability on newer systems or Win8 trying to get involved with its own color conversion.

Reply 541 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Does BoP crash comes with GoG version of the executable? […]
Show full quote

Does BoP crash comes with GoG version of the executable?

I've just tried it with the original version with 2.42 and it just works fine.
I enter a mission, getting instructions like 'don't touch anything until told to', etc, but nothing happens, the game is running. I can switch views, etc.

All I did was I installed the original BoP version into XwingTie\BalanceOfPower folder and modified 'use_3d_hardware' to 1 in config2.cfg.
And then, launching z_xvt__.exe (from BoP folder of course) switches to 3d accelerated mode when entering a mission (ok, 'quick fly').

Yes, it's the only the GoG version.

I finally got my original CD version to work and it runs completely fine with dgvoodoo.

Reply 543 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best way to play Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive might actually be DXGL. The game is sort of weird about vsync and it will run terrible if it's enabled. Still fails to go ingame with dgVoodoo2 even with vsync disabled.

Tried another game that's seemingly based on the same engine: Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood. dgVoodoo2 actually gets ingame here, but there's quite a few graphic artifacts.

Jagged Alliance 2 looks good.

Total Annihilation Kingdoms fails entirely to locate the D3D render and fails to enumerate resolutions with the software renderer. DXGL doesn't have either problem but DXGL fails at FMVs. Best way to play this is probably with Glide render.

7th Legion looks good.

Reply 544 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wanted to play some Blood2 before going to bed but it always crashed upon entering a game.
When I debugged it for a while resentfully I realized that I tried to play it in 1280x1024.
Seeing the problematic code I thought I would give a try to a quick patching. 😀
It seems it works, now I have it running in 1280x1024.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/Blood2ResPatch.zip

Unfortunately I cant try it with higher resolutions now but it should work with them.

Reply 546 of 3949, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
I wanted to play some Blood2 before going to bed but it always crashed upon entering a game. When I debugged it for a while rese […]
Show full quote

I wanted to play some Blood2 before going to bed but it always crashed upon entering a game.
When I debugged it for a while resentfully I realized that I tried to play it in 1280x1024.
Seeing the problematic code I thought I would give a try to a quick patching. 😀
It seems it works, now I have it running in 1280x1024.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/Blood2ResPatch.zip

Unfortunately I cant try it with higher resolutions now but it should work with them.

Do you have the same fix for Shogo?

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 548 of 3949, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding XvT-BoP i wish I could give you more.

This is all I could find in the Event Viewer. Which looks to be useless

Faulting application name: Z_xvt__.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3443b997
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0xb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0554cfe548361
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Star Wars - XvT\Z_xvt__.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 53b14f65-c140-11e4-827a-d05099164466
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Reply 550 of 3949, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the problem while messing with my cd copy of tiefighter 95.

Its the xwahacker fixedclear patch that causes the crash. (the GoG BoP executable comes with this enabled) You have to disable it and it will work.

This doesn't seem too much of an issue with xvt (which the gog didn't have enabled), but bop, tiefighter 95, and xwing 95, fixedclear stops the alpha in textures appearing as black, and makes it transparent. But enabling it crashes dgvoodoo2. 😢

Reply 551 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woo this is cool: Sega Marine Fishing (EU/UK Empire Interactive 1.00 version) has no z-fighting/corruption/fog you can't see though with dgVoodoo, plus if you DON'T use T&L (in the game menu), you can even see the Options menu (usually this is invisible).

That means it works properly for the first time since pre-Windows XP!

The only caveat is that when the game launches it asks you which graphics engine you wish to run using, so choose dgVoodoo (not T&L version of it) and all seems well.

Not played too much with it though, just reporting in.

p.s. Bug Too! and Viper Racing both benefit from dgVoodoo too!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 552 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something even more interesting (but still buggy): Sega Worldwide Soccer PC can be run in Direct3D (once you install the game then the "plus" add-on, then set all .exe to Win98 compatibility), HOWEVER none of the menus/2D stuff will be visible, but you can navigate blindly through to the in-game graphics, which seem to work!

This is good news as it never ever worked in WinXP! But it's still not quite there. Not tried with any other wrappers yet, saving that for another time!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 553 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks Guys for the new reports!

Unfortunately I couldn't deal with dgVoodoo at all for a while because of other works and deadlines but I'm about to do that.
First I'll have to develop a 'quick video memory access' method (similar to 'Force emulating true PCI' in Glide) because both Desperados and Grand Prix3 have performance problems (but they work at least).

Sorry about not responding to Blood2 too, I did a quick try: going into the Display menu does not push me to windowed mode on Win7 but I'll check what happens (window messages, etc) there.

Reply 556 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hoover1979 wrote:

I can't seem to get the dgvoodoo and 3dfx watermarks to disable. It dosent matter if I have them enabled or disabled in settings they appear anyway. Is there a way to remove them? I don't like watermarks on my games

Compatibility modes virtualize the registry: if you're running software in compatibility mode also run the configuration program in the same compatibility mode.

Reply 557 of 3949, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:

I can't seem to get the dgvoodoo and 3dfx watermarks to disable. It dosent matter if I have them enabled or disabled in settings they appear anyway. Is there a way to remove them? I don't like watermarks on my games

Compatibility modes virtualize the registry: if you're running software in compatibility mode also run the configuration program in the same compatibility mode.

That's a neat trick. I'll have to remember that one.

Reply 558 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hoover1979 wrote:

Make sure to select the right config directory from the dropdown list. By default global settings are selected.

Reply 559 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more: Sega GT - I was hoping the DirectX wrapper might improve some of the glitchiness (bad programming job from Sega, most of the shadows are missing from the Dreamcast original!), however when you get in-game, all the textures are black except for the car, fogging and lens flares (on the night time track)!