VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😠 It makes me so mad that I had a problem with running doom and doom 2 in dos! my problem is that I get Sound static every time a gun fires or if a sound effect is heard. I DONT WANT A WINDOWS PORT!!!!!!! I just want to
get the original dos version to work!!!!! and the game goes slow when a door opens. And it goes slow when a gun fires or when a enemy attacks you.
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and I just got the new computer about a month ago. the version of VDMsound I use is 2.1.0 Beta.
😠 and I tried Dosbox and the emulation stinks!!!!
I adjusted the Mic and line volume to 0 and the same problem occurs!!!!
I reallllllllllllllly neeeeeeeeeed heeeeeeeeelllllllllllllppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply 1 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try to avoid muttiposting. I think you had similar message in VDMSound forum.

Frankly I think that many people trying to run their favourite games would be happy if they had so many possibilities as you with DOOM (Window ports - I think there are more of them, DOSBOX - use dynamic core in CVS to get more speed, or running natively without sound). You are simply spoiled. 😀

I would recommend you this: if it is so important for you, then buy an old PC with ISA soundcard (486 or Pentium) - they are cheap and you will have a good feeling having everything original (and you can forget stinking emulators...).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😀 Thank you for the idea about getting a old pc. what operating system should I get with it? Is Win 3.1 good or Win 95? I heard they have dos modes.
Oh and should it include Gravis Ultrasound or SoundBlaster 16 or Pro Audio Spectrum sound card? Anyway, thanks alot for this idea! 😀

Reply 3 of 33, by QuillOmega0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd go with DOS 6.22/Windows for Workgroups 3.11, for just normal Windows 3.1. But if I would get an old system and there is a OS already on it, I would format the system first the install Dos then Windows.

Reply 4 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Soundcard: I do not have any experience with Gravis Ultrasound. It may be good, but in any case you need some ISA SoundBlaster compatible card (I do not know how it is with Gravis Ultrasound in this area). SoundBlaster 16 worked for me ok when I had Pentium 100.
You may want a wavetable card - it should have better sound - I think these are e.g. SoundBlaster AWE 32, 64. But remember: always ISA, not PCI version.

Operating system: you will use mainly DOS, you can install Windows 3.x or Windows 9x if you want, but you will not find many advantages in using them in comparison to your new computer.
Yes, W9x Windows (apart from Windows Millenium where it is a bit problematic) have good DOS inside. So you can use them as DOS as well (booting just command line). It is possible to make there a booting menu, so you can choose when computer starts whether to boot Windows or just a command line.

Memory: at least 8 MB, better are 16 or 32 MB (you can then run W9x reasonably well and there are some DOS games which can benefit from it - e.g. Blood is happiest with 32 MB). Do not install more than 64 MB of memory - it is unneded for DOS games and some can have problems with too much memory (reporting than they do not have enough memory 😀 ).

Processor: high eng 486 or low end Pentium (up to 100 Mhz). This should run most of games well, just the oldest ones will need slowing down (which is not problem on that configuration or you can use DOSBOX on your new computer to run such games).

Mirek

Reply 5 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😁 I found my old PC! But the CD-ROM Drive in my old PC cannot read CDs anymore!!!!!!!!! 🙁
When I double click on the CD-ROM Drive Icon, it says: '' E: is not accessible. the device is not ready." How can I correct this CD-ROM drive error??
And I don't have a wavetable soundcard. is there a sound card that can support General MIDI and its a soundblaster ISA sound card?

Reply 7 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I REALLY NEED HELP ON THE CD-ROM DRIVE ON MY OLD COMPUTER!!!!!!! The
CD-ROM Drive in my old PC cannot read CDs anymore!!!!!!!!!
When I double click on the CD-ROM Drive Icon, it says: '' E: is not accessible. the device is not ready." How can I correct this CD-ROM drive error????????????????????????????

Reply 8 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I take it that you are running W9x on your old computer and you get this error when accessing CD ROM with CD inside....
This almost certainly means bad CD ROM .... Get a new one (any new one is usable - unless you have a very old computer where CD ROM was connected through sound card).

Mirek

Reply 9 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a creative CD-ROM drive dated Augest 1993. it is connected to my Pro Audio Spectrum 16. so what should I do about my old CD-ROM Drive that can't read CDs Anymore??? I tried every single CD I had and I get this message: '' E: is not accessible. The device is not ready." And on the device manager section of my old computer I found out that my Panasonic CD-ROM Controller is not working properly. I think thats why my older computer cannot read CDs. 😠 Is the Panasonic CD-ROM Controller that is not working properly causing my CD-ROM drive to have reading problems?? If the CD-ROM Controller is causing a problem, should I buy a new CD-ROM Drive or this problem is fixable?? Just to let you know, I did put two pictures of the CD-ROM Drive Manual one is the cover of my very old manual that came with my old CD-ROM Drive. and one is the picture of my CD-ROM Drive. The reason I putted these pictures so that this can help you to find a fix. I am planning to Insert a Recordable CD that has data in it. If the Creative CD-ROM Drive cannot able to read recordable CDs, let me know! one more thing. my operating system I use on my old computer is Windows 95.

Attachments

• Filename
    Crative OmniCD Upgrade KIT.jpg
    File size
    553.57 KiB
    Downloads
    96 downloads
    File comment
    This is the cover of the manual that came with my creative CD-ROM Drive.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    CD-ROM Drive.jpg
    File size
    438.57 KiB
    Downloads
    112 downloads
    File comment
    This is how my CD-ROM Drive Looks Like.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have no experience with the hardware configuration which you have. On my Pentium 100 I used to have already normal ATAPI CD ROM (connected as a normal disc).
I wonder - would not it be possible to just ignore your Panasonic CD ROM controller and to connect CD ROM normally (as disc - so it is done in newer computers)?
Since I did not met such configuration, I am not sure whether the mechanic you have is suitable for that or not ... As for recordable CD ROM - the oldest CD ROMs had problems with them, I am not sure how it is with your mechanic.
One more thing: when your Panasonic CD ROM controller does not work correctly in Windows 95, you should look for speciall drivers for it. It is probably not supported in standard installation of Windows 95 (unlike ATAPI CD ROMs which use built-in Windows drivers).

Mirek

Reply 11 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which one of the special drivers is suitable for my Panasonic CD-ROM Controller? Or where can I find a cheap CD-ROM drive that has a standard configuration and it is sutiable with older computers? The CD-ROM drive i'm looking for is a normal style CD-ROM drive. Not the older style where you have to connect it to a sound card. And I really want to know where I get a wavetable sound card that can support General MIDI and it is a ISA card that can work with older computers.

Reply 12 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😠 My god................... its been days.............. And still can't find a fix for the CD-ROM drive............... Anyway, is there another way to transfer data instead of CDS??? I'm trying to find another way to transfer data because this is getting hopeless!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😠 What i'm trying to do Is transfer old games from my new computer to my old computer. but unfortunately, I do not use a network connection on my old computer. is there any OTHER WAY TO TRANSFER DATA FROM MY NEW PC TO MY OLD PC?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? 😠 I tried floppy disks but it is too small to transfer old games I even tried putting the file on a zip folder it is still too big to fit into my floppy disks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😠 THIS IS REALLY GETTING HOPELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😠 I need a way to do this or I need a good CD-ROM drive that can read recordable CDs and it is suitable with my older computer. because I dont take this problem as a joke. please let me know if there is a way to transfer data without a CD-ROM drive or a very good CD-ROM drive that is suitable with my old PC.

Reply 13 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can transfer data by connecting parallel ports. I did it myself (between my Pentium 100 and Athlon 1 Ghz).
1. You need a cable (not printer cable, but "LAPLINK" or whatever it is called - for connecting computers through paralel port).
2. Then I used Total (Windows) Commander (see its help for more information about this). I did it like that between my two computers and it worked. It was not very quick but it was sufficent (and if you need to tranfer a few GB, you can let it running over night).

There are specialized programs for this, but the above described is sufficent (the cable is cheap and Total Commander is free - if you put up with registration reminder whenever it is started).

Mirek

Reply 15 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

"Total Commander" is the most popular file manager for Windows (just search internet).
You can buy the cable in any computer shop.
Then connect computers and use Total Commander to copy what you want.

Mirek

Reply 16 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At techdepot.com, I found the 10-ft. Universal Serial Transfer Laplink/Interlink
and the brand is Belkin. is this the correct cable for transfer?
which one should I use? Laplink or Interlink? One more thing. The computers I'm transfering from is from my newest Computer to my old computer.

Reply 17 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You need parallel cable for this (you may be able to use serial with another program - I did not try - but it will be even slower).
I recommend you this:
Download Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/), install it, open Help, go to Content and to the part
"h. Direct cable connection through parallel port (PORT connection to other PC)"
There are details how to do that. There is even shown how the cable is connected if you want to make it yourself.
This is one sentence from that help: "This cable can be found in most computer shops under the name "Interlink/Laplink parallel cable" or "parallel cable for direct cable connection"."

Mirek

Reply 18 of 33, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mike, how good are you with a screwdriver? 😉
You can probably hook your old HD into the new 'puter and it will just show up as another driver letter under your OS (which is what BTW?).
Then you can direct copy your files from one HD to the next. If they are all DOS games then you shouldn't run into consistency problems where the Windoze registry hides a few files. As to the CD-ROM and sound card, up until recently there was this PC store chain near my house called "Computer Renaissance". I know there have to be some little outlets like that near your place. Just march into one of them and ask for a used ATAPI CD-ROM and any IDE cables you might need. Also ask about a used ISA sound card, preferably NOT plug and play. Most of these places have used parts. If not, you can try Ebay or some other online business and just call and ask them if they have used parts. The "Laplink" or "Parallel cable network" solutions are more trouble than they are worth. You might as well buy two crummy old Ethernet cards and network the PC's that way. If you aren't that tech savvy, one of the local PC stores (the ones where you can get the sound card and CDROM) should be able to do all this for you, for a price.

Reply 19 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoomGaZer wrote:

Mike, how good are you with a screwdriver? 😉
You can probably hook your old HD into the new 'puter and it will just show up as another driver letter under your OS (which is what BTW?).
Then you can direct copy your files from one HD to the next. If they are all DOS games then you shouldn't run into consistency problems where the Windoze registry hides a few files. As to the CD-ROM and sound card, up until recently there was this PC store chain near my house called "Computer Renaissance". I know there have to be some little outlets like that near your place. Just march into one of them and ask for a used ATAPI CD-ROM and any IDE cables you might need. Also ask about a used ISA sound card, preferably NOT plug and play. Most of these places have used parts. If not, you can try Ebay or some other online business and just call and ask them if they have used parts. The "Laplink" or "Parallel cable network" solutions are more trouble than they are worth. You might as well buy two crummy old Ethernet cards and network the PC's that way. If you aren't that tech savvy, one of the local PC stores (the ones where you can get the sound card and CDROM) should be able to do all this for you, for a price.

Well Unfortunately, I went to ComputerRenaissance.com and I did not find any stores located in Irving,TX!!! not even a nearby store! is there any other computer stores that has the same type of service as Computer Renaissance?????????? 😕 😕 😕 besides, Ebay's Sellers are unpredictable. so I would not buy from them.

Last edited by Mike on 2004-08-06, 17:34. Edited 1 time in total.