VOGONS

First post, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a few questions about the current status of development:

1) The Windows driver seems to be lagging behind the DOSBox-integrated version, is that correct?
2) It is not currently possible (based on my own experience and forum postings) to play ScummVM games in native MT32 mode and have the output accurately played by the emulator. What is preventing this from working, and how much effort is involved in fixing it?
3) Is the source code under version control anywhere?
4) Under what license is the Windows driver source released?

I don't mean to put any pressure on the author, I'm mostly interested in working on the code myself.

Reply 1 of 4, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just put together a mongrel hybrid of canadacow's Windows driver and Tristan's ALSA driver (the latter of which was in turn based on the latest published DOSBox version).

It's got a lot of problems, but I've managed to play the Monkey Island 2 introduction through ScummVM with serious damage to only one ear drum.

If anyone's interested, I'll post the source and binaries here after removing some of the debugging cruft.

This all makes me even more interested in the questions above 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by Tristan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My answers:

1. The Window driver version is very outdated and should not be used. I recall Canadacow saying that there was some sort of serious unresolved bug with it when using the newer mt-32 core code.
2. I just tried ScummVM, playing fate of atlantis, as an ALSA client and it worked flawlessly. Am I correct in assuming that you are trying to integrate the mt-32 emulator into ScummVM ?
3. As to your question regarding a version control system, no there is none.
4. Don't know.

For more details you will have to speak to Canadacow.

PS. I noticed that ScummVM has a mt-32 command line option that actually works really well with the emulator.

Reply 3 of 4, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I should have been clearer... I took the DirectX interfacing code from canadacow's original Windows driver, and I combined it with the core of your Linux drivers (based on the latest DOSBox-integrated version). I fixed a lot of bugs while I was at it. It seems to work more or less as it should now.

I'm not really interested in integrating the driver into ScummVM. I do of course use the --native-mt32 switch, and it works quite well under Windows too (though I had to tweak ScummVM's MIDI processing on Windows a little to make SysEx work correctly with the emulator). The old Windows driver didn't really work at all with ScummVM, which is why I updated it.

I'd really like to see an MT32emu VC repository set up somewhere. I'm happy to organise that myself if canadacow's agreeable, and if I could get an answer on the license.

Reply 4 of 4, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for my delayed response. I really haven't had that much time at all to dedicate to the MT-32 driver. Have at it and use the code as you feel fit. The code itself is in the public domain. I'll post more if I get time.