VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the simplest SuperVGA card with 800x600 with 8-bit color (DAC)? I now have the VGA almost fully running, but I want to extend it to higher resolutions (at least 800x600x8). Is there any simple extension of VGA registers that supports 8-bit 800x600 resolution with enough VRAM? So it contains only VGA I/O, but with extra registers for handling higher resolutions and banking (for more VRAM, using unused Graphics/CRTC/Sequencer register addresses for the extra registers)?

I've so far found the Paradise PVGA1A, which is a simple SVGA with up to 640x480x8 or 800x600x4. It only uses a few extra registers on top of normal VGA operations as far as I can see.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 2 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Realtek RTG3105IEH? ISA, slow. has an 8-bit DAC (IIRC, somebody please verify), works with the standard SVGA driver for Windows 3.11 (IIRC), and can do 800x600x8 and 1024x768x4, very small in physical size, and pretty cookie-cutter overall for a basic, late-ISA SVGA card, the FX5200 of '94 😀 The actual vga output is slightly blurry with a sepia-ish tint to the grays.

I dumped the bios for this one somewhere... I recall loading it in DOSBox, seeing a BIOS startup message I never saw before, and properly getting only 800x600x8 and 1024x768x4 VESA BIOS modes in Compushow 2000, however text modes were incorrectly grayscale

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 16, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do all VGA modes (modes 0-13h) work on the Realtek RTG3105IEH when programmed as a VGA (monochrome graphics, MDA, 4 color CGA, 16 color CGA/EGA and 256 color VGA modes)? I'm still searching for a datasheet on the chip to take a look at it's SVGA registers. Does it have only additional VGA registers like the Paradise PVGA1A? I already have the VGA implemented, is it difficult to add Realtek RTG3105IEH registers support (No Plug-And-Play implemented (yet))?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 4 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CGA (non-Composite), EGA and VGA modes should work.

It doesn't do any special proprietary SVGA implementations IIRC, but it does VESA 1. I don't have this card anymore, maybe I threw an obscure curveball and I doubt there's datasheets for it 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 16, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

It doesn't do any special proprietary SVGA implementations IIRC, but it does VESA 1. I don't have this card anymore, maybe I threw an obscure curveball and I doubt there's datasheets for it 🙁

Just spent a few minutes amongst the datasheet sites, nothing leapt out at me.
http://web.archive.org/web/19970627102422/htt … cp/3105ieh.html
Looks like they were available... in 1997. I suppose support in an emulator would have to be reverse-engineered, unless current Realtek still has the datasheets somewhere. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 16, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I'm going for the ET4000. Anyone knows some good info on the registers and locations of the registers of the ET4000? Also, how is 16-bit (64k colors) enabled? Is it an extension of the normal 8-bit color mode of the VGA? (simply processing 2 8-bit colors into 1 64k pixel?) I can't find any info on how the 64k mode is archieved.

Edit: after some more searching I found the full documentation on the ET4000. The version I kept finding was only the first few chapters. I notice that the attribute miscellaneous register has a bit to enable WORD mode (64k colors). Does this work the same way the 8-bit color (attribute mode control) works, but combining 2 8-bit colors into 1 16-bit color and double pixels?

Last edited by superfury on 2015-05-05, 16:33. Edited 1 time in total.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 10 of 16, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So they won't be able to show more than 256 colors? Then why does the Attribute Miscellaneous register exist?

ATC Indexed Register 16: Miscellaneous
This is a read/write register (protected by KEY).
R : Port address = 3C 1
W : Port address = 3CO (index/data flip-flop in DATA mode)
Bit Description
0-3 Reserved.
4-5 Select High Resolutionlcolor mode.
6 2-byte character code (ET4000 Rev. E).
7 Bypass the internal palette.
Bits 4-5., in combination, select high-resolution or high-color modes. When bit 4
is set to a logicall, the MCLK/2 bit in TS Index 7 should also be set. The available
selections are:
See Addendum 6_1 for the description of bit 6 and programming instructions.
Bit
4 5
0 0 Normal power-up default.
0 1 Reserved.
1 0 High-resolution mode (up to 256 colors).
1 1 High-color 16-bit/pixel.
NOTE: Normally, high-resolution mode never needs to be set.
Bit 7, when set to I, causes the internal palette to be bypassed (effectively the
output equals the input value).

So when bits 4-5 are set to 11b, what happens with an 8-bit DAC (you might need to set bit 7 too)?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 11 of 16, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That just doubles the pixel data rate. It's up to the RAMDAC to glue two pixels together to generate 16-bit colour. If the RAMDAC doesn't support this then 8-bit colour is all you will get.

What are you trying to do here, incidentally? You're asking questions about all kinds of obscure edge cases that no software is actually going to use, if this is for your emulator then I would have thought getting it to boot DOS would be a better use of your time.

Reply 12 of 16, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to get DOS working, but since I don't have any way to reference to (results vs correct results and disassembly), I can't fix the bugs, since I can't tell the location of the bug. So in the meantime, while I'm waiting for an answer, I'm focusing on other aspects of the emulator and improve them or fix bugs, until there is nothing to do anymore.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 13 of 16, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superfury wrote:

I'm trying to get DOS working, but since I don't have any way to reference to (results vs correct results and disassembly), I can't fix the bugs, since I can't tell the location of the bug. So in the meantime, while I'm waiting for an answer, I'm focusing on other aspects of the emulator and improve them or fix bugs, until there is nothing to do anymore.

then maybe you should throw up the source so people can take a look.

Reply 14 of 16, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Already posted an attachment with the source code of the 80(1)86 instruction emulation (without all helper functions, which work fine and have no errors afaik). I've posted a file with the code for the 8086 instructions, 80186 instructions and 8086 instructions ported from fake86 (GRP opcodes).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 15 of 16, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried comparing against a working emulator? In the very early days of PCem I used pcemu (http://pcemu.sourceforge.net/) as a reference; from memory it was very easy to integrate into another emulator, and it can then be used to generate a reference trace to compare against your own emulator.

Reply 16 of 16, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried implementing the PCEmu CPU into my emulator. Eventually it became one big mess when I started on the logical operations (##xx precompiler directives). Is there any other emulator that's easier to convert?

UniPCemu Git repository