VOGONS

First post, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy,

I have searched quite a bit and can not exactly find what I'm looking for. Basically I have this Hardware

Asus P5a-b with 166mhz Pentium 64 MB Ram
Sound Blaster AWE32 (CT3780)NON PNP
S3 Trio video card

Running Dos 6.22/Win 3.11

My issues is that on certain games ,Jazz the Jackrabbit being one of them, when I set the sound for SB16 with the appropriate settings. I run the game and it will hang for bit reboot the computer. I know the copy is good as it runs in dosbox and on another computer. If it turn off the sound, the games plays just fine.

Also sometimes certain games will come up and say MPU401 failed to initialize(ROTT if run with general midi). If I run Hocus Pocus and use General Midi as music, and set the AWEUTIL /EM:GM setting, it will say either Blaster parimitors invalid, or it will reboot the computer when running the game. (Please note that ROTT runs fine if I select AWE32)

That being said, other games that use the sound blaster (Doom, EpicPinball, Overkill, Alien Carnage, Continuum, Heretic etc) run fine. Doom,Heretic,ROTT don't have a problem as long as i am using the SBAWE32 as a music selector, if I select MT-32 or Gen Midi(and run AWEUTIL the appropriate switch), it will reboot the computer. I know I used to be able to set General Midi for Hocus Pocus and it worked just fine back in the day.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:
I have put in a CT3930(non PNP)(has OPL2 and Vibra16) card and does the same thing.
I put in an older SB16 still same for JAZZ Jackrabbit.
I have reloaded SoundCard drivers the ones on this forum and the ones on Creative Labs website, still same thing.
I have tried port 220,240 Midi 330,300 IRQ 5,7 DMA 1,3,5 Still a no go.
I have disabled PNP in the bios, have moved my PCI video card to a different slot in case it was conflicting, no change.

Here is my Config.sys

REM Device=c:\utils\sb16\drv\ctsb16.sys /unit=0 /blaster=a:220 I:5 d:1 h:5
Rem device=c:\utils\sb16\drv\CTMMsys.sys
Device=C:\utils\dos\setver.exe
Device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off
Device=c:\utils\dos\emm386 noems d=64
Dos=HIGH,UMB
Lastdrive=Z
Files=40
Stacks=18,512
Device=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys

(the issue happens whether I REM the top two lines or not, doesn't seem to make a difference, from what I read, I don't need those two lines unless im running a PNP soundcard)

Autoexec.bat

SET SOUND=C:\utils\sb16
Set Blaster=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6
Set Midi=Synth:1 Map:E Mode:0
C:\utils\sb16\diagnose /s
c:\utils\sb16\aweutil /s
c:\utils\sb16\sb16set /p /q
set mouse=c:\utils\mouse
path c:\windows;c:\utils\mouse;\c:utils\dos;c:\utils\sb16
set temp c:\utils\dos
LH c:\utils\dos\smartdrive.exe /x
mouse.exe /q
@echo off
Prompt $p$g

Again i have tried many IRQ,DMA MIDI and port combos and it still seems to have issues. Even with the CT3930 and its special drivers the midi doesn't want to work in dos. With the CT3780 installed The current version of AWEUTIL that it installs is 1.15. I have tried ver 1.30,1.35 and 1.20. And still issues. Not really sure where to go from here. If it was picking on MIDI only, then I would have something, but it doesn't explain why Jazz the Jackrabbit throws a krap fit and reboots(since it has nothing to do with MIDI 300,330 at all) and when Epic Pinball(that uses the same installer) has no issues whatsoever in working.

hope I have covered everything I have done. 3 different sound cards with mulitple drivers. I don't see any conflict in the BIOS whatsoever. Any Help would be appreciated. I like DOSBOX and all, but authentic is even better!!

Just also as an FYI, I do not have any problems with MIDI in windows. I can load the GS/GM configs just fine. No reboots or conflict. So this is just a DOS thing I believe.

Thanks in advance!

;

Reply 1 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Games like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. are protected mode games (these type of games are normally loaded with a DOS extender like DOS/4GW).
In order for these games to work with the AWE32's MIDI, they must support it natively (they must have AWE32 in their setup menu).
Real mode games are supported via the Aweutil utility (for these you would select General MIDI).

Since your card is not plug and play, make sure the jumper settings on your sound card matches your environment variables in your Autoexec.bat file (the set sound parameters).
Furthermore, you can reserve your sound card's DMA and IRQ channels in your BIOS to prevent other devices from utilizing those resources. This might be the reason why you have system crashes and reboots.

Reply 2 of 16, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for responding!

Makes sense on the Doom,ROTT and Heretic and other games which you are correct, I need to select the AWE32 drivers. So thank you for confirming that! And when I do that, they work fine!

My jumpers on the sound card are set correctly and match what it shown above, and I have reserved the IRQ5,7 and DMA 1,5 channels in the BIOS so nothing else is using them.

Its just some games that have SB16 support(epic pinball) work fine with no issues. But some games like Jazz the Jackrabbits and One Must Fall(when set to SB16) reboot the computer when the game is launched.

And games like my Hocus Pocus that supports General Midi for music will also reboot even if I set the aweutil with the /em:gm or just /em config. And some games like SANGO FIGHTER just wont recognize the General Midi when activated, its like it tries and pauses and makes the menu slow but no music.

If it was just picking on General Midi only then It would make more sense. But since it reboots on Jazz and OMF as well, kind of puzzles me. Hmmmm

Reply 4 of 16, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, I will quit trying with the GM stuff under DOS I guess. I know i had it working back in the day. But I also had a different motherboard back then too. So maybe there is something going on there.

But GM issues aside, still doesn't answer why certain games when SB16 is selected will reboot the computer. Is there something else(other than DOSBOX) that people use for their old rigs to get GM stuff to work properly in DOS? Is 6.22 the way to go, or Dos 7? Maybe I'm going about this wrong?

Thanks for the continued feedback though!

;

Reply 5 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On an AWE64 Gold, I've also seen reboots when trying the GM emulation. On some games it reboots instantly, on other games (Privateer for example), the game works for a while, then the audio sounds a bit off and then the machine reboots 😀

So best is to use native AWE support, and for GM games, acquire an external GM device, from Roland or Yamaha for example.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 16, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blades wrote:
ok, I will quit trying with the GM stuff under DOS I guess. I know i had it working back in the day. But I also had a different […]
Show full quote

ok, I will quit trying with the GM stuff under DOS I guess. I know i had it working back in the day. But I also had a different motherboard back then too. So maybe there is something going on there.

But GM issues aside, still doesn't answer why certain games when SB16 is selected will reboot the computer. Is there something else(other than DOSBOX) that people use for their old rigs to get GM stuff to work properly in DOS? Is 6.22 the way to go, or Dos 7? Maybe I'm going about this wrong?

Thanks for the continued feedback though!

;

The GM TSR might be causing the reboot, even the game does not use GM at all.

Reply 7 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some games allow you to choose which DMA channel to use.
Based on your current configuration, these are DMA 1 (the "low" DMA channel) & DMA 5 (the "high" DMA channel).

When you are in the setup menu, and if an available option, choose SB16/AWE32 for digital sound but, choose DMA 1 (not DMA 5) and see whether that doesn't solve your problem.
If you still don't have any luck, try configuring your sound card to use IRQ7 (not IRQ5) - just make sure your printer port (not that you would have anything connected to your parallel port) is also not using the same IRQ (I usually just disable it in the BIOS).

For Real Mode games, where you need to load the Aweutil tsr, make sure your motherboard supports non maskable interrupts (NMI's) and that it is enabled in the BIOS (if an available option).
However, with the hardware that you're using, it should support it.

Reply 8 of 16, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I'm somewhat making some progress. I found that EMM386 is causing Jazz Jackrabbit and other games to restart the computer when launched. Which is good I found what it was.... Bad though since I need the extra memory to run most games and with EMM386 disabled it really lowers my conventional memory. Hmmm. And SimFarm plays GM (when activated via aweutil) just fine while other GM games(sango fighter, hocus-pocus) do not. Weird. Well guess I will keep tinkering. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys for your help so far!

;

Reply 9 of 16, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC there are alternatives for EMM386 - or was that only for HIMEM.SYS?
Anyway, you might try UMBPCI to get some extra memory without switching to v86 mode at all, that should work with your board (Aladdin V).

Reply 10 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Blades wrote:

I found that EMM386 is causing Jazz Jackrabbit and other games to restart the computer when launched.

It may be a combination of exact HW and EMM386 switches. I know for a fact that on my old system, Jazz Jackrabbit works fine with EMM386.

Try without the D=64 switch. Do you need it for something specific?

However, as you are not using EMS (evident from your NOEMS switch), perhaps the suggestion of the EMM386 alternatives (like UMBPCI) is the best for you.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 16, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had any problems with EMM386 and these games on my older machines, and I had a SB32 PnP. However, the parameters I used were RAM and occasionally HIGHSCAN (this last one can cause issues but raises conventional memory).

Reply 12 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use this:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOSW\EMM386.EXE RAM I=B400-B7FF I=CA00-CBFF AUTO

The more standard I=B000-B7FF causes problems with CDMAN 2.0 and I think a few other games.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 16, by Blades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy,

Thanks for all the help guys/gals!

I ended up using UMBPCI and that took care of most of my problems with resetting and such.

Still won't play GM on Hocus Pocus and Sango Fighter. But has no problems with Castles 2, Sim Farm, Lost Vikings and others.

So it seems GM is a hit and miss in DOS. But overall im happy with the results!

Thanks again!

Reply 14 of 16, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry about resurrecting the old thread, but I just encountered the same problem: Jazz Jackrabbit rebooted my machine when EMM386 is loaded. While using UMBPCI instead of EMM386 might indeed be a very good idea, because it avoids (needless) paging in Real Mode, I found a way to run Jazz Jackrabbit even with EMM386 in NOEMS configuration.

At http://plit.de/asem-51/asemx.htm, the author of ASEMX has some hints on preventing crashes that occur when EMM386 is loaded. The author recommends using the environment variable DPMIMEM to limit the amount of memory used by the Borland 16-Bit DOS extender to below 16MB. As Jazz Jackrabbit uses the same DOS extender (but with renamed files, DPMI.000 is actually DPMI16BI.OVL and RTM.000 is actually RTM.EXE), I tried to give it a shot. It worked, indeed: If I use

set DPMIMEM=MAXMEM 48000

or lower, Jazz Jackrabbit works flawlessly, even with EMM386 loaded.

The reason we do not remember these kind of crashes from the times when the games were new is most likely that nearly no one had 48MB RAM or more on the machine used to play Jazz Jackrabbit.

Note: This crash of Jazz Jackrabbit is not related to the MIDI emulation of the SB AWE. My system contains a SB16, it does not even support NMI feedback for MPU emulation. The incompatibility between (other) protected mode games and AWEUTIL is a very real thing, though. It doesn't affect Jazz Jackrabbit, because this game does not access the MPU401 ports.

Reply 15 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Win98SE machine has 256MB RAM and I don't think Jazz Jackrabbit crashes with EMM386 (I definitely don't have that DPMIMEM switch), but it may be affecting some systems and not others. Great find.

Reply 16 of 16, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I'm using the version of Jazz Jackrabbit that is available on GOG. For me, it crashes in DOS 6.22 and in "Command line only" configuration of Windows 98SE.
It does not crash in the DOS VM (DOS window) of Windows 98SE, though. In the DOS window, Jazz Jackrabbit uses the DPMI host services provided by Windows 98, while in DOS mode, Jazz Jackrabbit uses the 16-Bit Borland DPMI host bundled with Jazz Jackrabbit.