VOGONS

First post, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I'm finally building my old systems. What's troubling me: I'm trying to steer away from old AT PSU on two of my cases and ended up using two of my old ATX PSU. Problem is: I'm also building a so-much needed testPC where I can check my PCI and AGP cards easily (it's a skt. 775 Pentium 4, 3GHz) and ended up using my Huntkey 400W on my K6-2 (@P5A-B). Now I want to test my other videocards (including a X800 and a X1600 PRO) on the P4 but I think the 300W PSU won't suffice (it's a solid HIPRO, though) and I'd like to swap the PSUs of those two systems. Would the P5A-B be in risk without a PSU that delivers -5V? IIRC only old ISA cards use it. I've been thinking of using a SB16 PnP on it, though.

Reply 1 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only a few cards require -5V. The main ones are the Sound Blaster 2, Roland LAPC-I and PAS 16. SB 16 is totally fine 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 10, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I beg to differ, me and another guy tried making one work in a Tera Drive once and found that we needed -5V and -12V for it - which that system does not have because IBM. May have been specific to the model number of the card though and I don't remember which it was.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He's asking about his P5A-B and ISA cards, not a Sega TeraDrive.

Reply 4 of 10, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What does that have to do with anything? -5V is -5V. This was my test case for this scenario. The result was that the SB16's amps would not run without that rail present.

Reply 5 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nonsense. The SB16's connector slot doesn't connect to the -5V pinout on the ISA bus. That pin is just solid PCB, no traces.

Reply 6 of 10, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, your card does not have that finger. Ours does. Do I really have to drag the machine and the PMs out? Or are you going to accept that you weren't there, you don't know, this is what happened and this is just another episode of misinformation by Mauwurf because you can't face the face you weren't entirely correct in your blanket statement as usual?

I'm done here. Have a nice day.

Reply 7 of 10, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey now, let's not get this little question into a war. 😀 Phils stated that because I mentioned it was a SB16 PnP, which I assume there's no model variation that needs that rail, being a "new" card.

On a good (?) side, I've checked my ISA sound cards and none have the B5 pin (forgot about that).

Thanks for the help 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome Snayperskaya 😀

Also, if are looking for a PSU solution that is both, new, and has -5V, check out PSUs from StarTech.com. They sell new ATX power supplies with -5V. Alternatively you can get ATX to AT adapters with a voltage regulator that provides the -5V. I will be reviewing one soon. These are of particular interest with older 386 and 486 machines which often get matched up with a SB 2, PAS 16 or LAPC-I.

Reply 9 of 10, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If all else fails (as in a card in your intended setup isn't working as it should), one can add a -5V generator circuit to any board/PSU - costs roughly $1

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 10 of 10, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked my SB16 (CT2230), and there is no gold trace on the fifth pin of the left side of the card, which means it doesn't require -5V.

Keep in mind that some motherboards (even later BX era ones) require -5V to post.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png