VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just reading about the various versions of doom that came out after the source was released back in the 90s & was wondering.. what is the best port to use in a pure dos environment? Preferably on a 486/586.

Boom and early versions of Doom Legacy seem likely candidates - but what is the best?

Also, don't suppose there are any ports that use 3d (GL) acceleration in DOS?

Reply 2 of 18, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I figured as much.. Nice to know for sure though

Still worth investigating the updated ports for their bugfixes - ones that supported higher resolutions would also be interesting.

Care to explain what is wrong with the link?

Reply 3 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so there's still VQuake, but that's not OpenGL and is more like a software renderer with help from the card 😜

The most recent one I can think of is this MBF for DOS

There's also some later versions of Vavoom that still urn in DOS

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For DOS - I'd say BOOM/MBF. They basically give you the original experience, with some UI improvements, bug fixes, engine limit removals, more customization options, and a few new level design elements which are nice but not very intrusive.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 18, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Generally the original Doom is 25% faster on 486s, because of the Mode-X code"

That's a bummer with this port. Good suggestions tho!

Shame there was no port that turns on 3dfx anti aliasing or bilinear filtering in these games.. looks all blurry in descent 2 and blood but nice to have the option. I'm no coder but possibly simple to do?

Reply 6 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Turning a sector/line span driver into a polygonal world for a 3d card to process is far from simple, and on a 486 at that point, it'd be far slower than just running it in software.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 18, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a 486, you'd do well to go with a patched up version of vanilla Doom with expanded limits and greater stability: Doom+

You may also try Doom 1.91 for an improved demo recording experience.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 9 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lo Wang wrote:

For a 486, you'd do well to go with a patched up version of vanilla Doom with expanded limits and greater stability: Doom+

You know, I thought about this, and the thing is that any scene that could benefit from such a patch, because it exceeds the original limits, will probably be way too slow for a 486 anyways. So it will have no practical advantage over the original EXE.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 10 of 18, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Lo Wang wrote:

You know, I thought about this, and the thing is that any scene that could benefit from such a patch, because it exceeds the original limits, will probably be way too slow for a 486 anyways. So it will have no practical advantage over the original EXE.

Not necessarily so. E.g. A visplane overflow doesn't mean the scene would trigger a slowdown if it were to be rendered properly. You can indeed be well over the visplane limit on a 486 and retain sufficient speed. Problem is, it takes maps made specifically for this patched up version of the vanilla executable because not many people, if any, designed and distributed maps that would crash the original engine back when there were no source ports.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 11 of 18, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I'll compare all the latest DOS supporting versions on a 486. So far I've got:

Doom Legacy 1.41
Vavoom 1.17
MBF 2.04
Zdoom 1.17
Eternity Engine 3.31

Any others worth looking at?

Edit:

Edge: but I can only find version 1.24 (1.27 is supposed to support dos?).
CDoom: Can't find this at all so far
Doom+ 1.92.2?
Doom2+?

Reply 13 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kreats wrote:

"Generally the original Doom is 25% faster on 486s, because of the Mode-X code"
That's a bummer with this port. Good suggestions tho!

That is not just an issue with this port I worked on, but with all of them. No one ever recreated the Mode-X code that is used in the original DOS releases. The source for that part was never released, and proper Mode-X support requires a lot of messy code and 'planar' image buffering. By then everyone was just glad Pentiums could run 3D games in linear modes just fine.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 14 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

That is not just an issue with this port I worked on, but with all of them. No one ever recreated the Mode-X code that is used in the original DOS releases. The source for that part was never released, and proper Mode-X support requires a lot of messy code and 'planar' image buffering. By then everyone was just glad Pentiums could run 3D games in linear modes just fine.

Curious. Why wasn't this part of the source released? Was there a licensing issue like with the music library? So what did the source port makers do in lieu of it?

Reply 15 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Linux version source was released, the DOS version source was not...
Here is a nice read: 10 years of Doom - A Slightly Condensed Genealogy of DOOM Source Ports
Also consider that in 1997 there was not much interest in true Mode-X usage. Mode-X with planar buffering is hack to get a speed gain on 386s and early 486s, which would otherwise be unable to transfer the 320x200 pixels at the desired framerates. For Pentiums it is just a unnecessary annoyance for the Developers.
Linear Mode 13h was there already, and became the easier choice. Then Pentiums made VESA modes a viable option for action games as well.

There are four ways I can think of to draw in 320x200 8bpp in DOS:
1-Mode 13h, unfortunately without page flipping.
2-Mode-X with planar image buffering, with or without page flipping.
3-Mode-X while keeping the image buffers linear, and convert things during the screen draws. No speed gain, but does allow for page flipping.
4-VESA mode 320x200 8bpp, with or without page flipping.

MBF 2.04 supports 1+3+4.

Reply 18 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose not. One could test it with DosBox Debug output, to check which video mode is initialized.
Some pointers here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/5786 … requirements/2/