VOGONS

IBM PS/1000 486DLC2-66

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 65, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think that is the correct service manual for this system.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 65, by BuuBox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I don't think that is the correct service manual for this system.

Yeah you're right - a closer look (page 4-28) shows its different (e.g. battery position, CPU socket).

Reply 22 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, it's not, but it is still useful for general information. So thanks!

I'll have to look up the exact model number when I get home, see if I can find the manual.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the Blue Lightning 486DLC is a 3.3V part, so there has to be a voltage regulator onboard. There's a TO-220 part near the processor, without a heatsink, that looks like one. I'm wondering if I can put a DX4 in, and how to configure it for 3.3V operation...

Another option: There's a multiplier selector in the BIOS. Wondering if the BL2 runs stable at 3x33MHz...

Not that I _need_ to make it faster, it already runs well as it is... just curious.

Reply 23 of 65, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think with a large enough heatsink or active cooling, 100MHz should not be a problem. This is based on my own experience with a BL-75.

Reply 27 of 65, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BuuBox wrote:

I'd leave it with the stock CPU.

Seems silly turning an interesting and fairly unique 486 class PC into a more run-of-the-mill system. 😎

+1

This kind of computer is the kind you keep stock.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 28 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
BuuBox wrote:

I'd leave it with the stock CPU.

Seems silly turning an interesting and fairly unique 486 class PC into a more run-of-the-mill system. 😎

+1

This kind of computer is the kind you keep stock.

Yeah, I know, and I don't intend to do it, but one wonders if it could work, right? 😎

Sooooo....

Windows 3.1 works, tried to install 3.11, always hangs on startup screen or shortly thereafter... and by hangs I mean that it even crashes my KVM switch. Can't switch between computers anymore until I reboot the IBM. I kind of wanted 3.11 for networking, so if anyone has any tips...

Can't get PCM sound to work. Tried a Opti 929 based card and an AWE32. OPL3 works fine on both cards, the EMU works fine on the AWE, can't get digital sound to work AT ALL. I've been through every conceivable combination of I/O, IRQ and DMA channel, nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 29 of 65, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would run memtest86 and cachechk. If WFW311 is not installing, then something is seriously wrong.

Reply 32 of 65, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:

Windows installs, but hangs on first startup after reboot.

That rings a bell. Try it without the network card(s) installed.

After that, I'd pull all other cards, but you must have already tried this.

Reply 33 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No luck 😢

Pulled the LAN card, pulled the sound card, pulled the extra RAM, nothing.

I've tried pretty much all available BIOS options.

Is it possible that DMA is not working at all in this machine, or under certain circumstances? I'm asking this because OPL3 and AWE work, and AFAIK those don't need a DMA channel. That would also explain why Windows hangs with a bluescreen if I enable 32-bit disk access in setup, which I assume has something to do with DMA.

Please, Vogons, don't let me down... I'm not ready to give up on this, but I'm running out of ideas quickly.

Reply 34 of 65, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might not be relevant, but i recently noticed on my boxed copy of mortal kombat 2, it specifically states it is not compatable with IBM Blue Lightning processors. I never thought about it until now.

Maybe there is some op code win 3.11 uses that doesnt work on the ibm. Maybe if you just try an overdrive processor. If it works, then that would more or less confirm my suspicions.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 35 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quite a long shot, but entirely possible...

I just found this: Windows 3.1 OK? 3.11 locking up? Here is the fix! - describes my symptoms, might be worth a try.

That still doesn't explain the sound card issue. Haven't tried a different ISA slot yet, might be some dirt build up, you never know.

Also seriously contemplating reinstalling DOS. Haven't done that yet. Though I doubt it's a DOS issue.

I could live without networking. Can't live without sound, though.

Reply 36 of 65, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All versions of Windows 3.x work on blue lightning CPUs. I've ran these CPUs since the mid 90s.
Did you try running Windows with just the basic VGA driver?
Maybe there is something wrong with the hard drive? Try a low level format.

Reply 37 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know. Note that 3.11 crashes, 3.1 works fine.

No drivers installed, it's certainly basic VGA.

Yeah, I'll reinstall DOS and do a low level format additionally.

What about my DMA theory? Does this sound plausible? DMA not working at all?

Reply 38 of 65, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might be a stupid idea but just to be sure and on the safe side:

According to my experience, Windows 3.11 with networking installed, will refuse to start, and generally just hang up at the Windows start Logo, if the NIC is not connected to a network with a cable. I'm not sure if this is your problem, but you can check with starting Windows 3.11 without network. It should be something like "win /n" but I'm not sure. You can easily look up for the appropriate command by typing "win /?".

Enabling 32 bit disk access (and 32 bit file access) under Windows 3.1 / 3.11 is known to be not properly working with all the range of systems. Sometimes it requires an OEM driver of the IDE controller from the manufacturer. It was more of an issue with then new EIDE controllers, though, if I remember correctly.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 39 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gotcha. I've tried with the cable on and off, also tried installing without network support, but didn't think of trying different command line options yet.

OK, 32bit not really necessary then. Don't know if the onbard controller is EIDE - I assume not. Still trying to get ahold of the manual.