My main Retro-PC

Topic actions

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I would like to show you my main retro pc. it was quite a long time to get to it. For the moment I am satisfied with it.

Here are the specs:
SNI-Pro-M6 (D981)
- PII-133-333 Mhz
- 512MB Ram (4x128MB)
- 2x WD 40GB
- 1x Combofloppy 1,2MB 5,25" + 1,44MB 3,5" at Onboard-FDD
- 1x 5,25" 1,44MB FDD at Catweasel ISA
- 1x 3,5" 360KB FDD at Catweasel ISA
- AGP Voodoo3 16MB
- PCI1 FAN
- PCI2 Intel Network-Card
- PCI3 Voodoo1
- ISA1 CT4170
- ISA2 Gus ACE
- ISA3 Catweasel

HDD1: (Bootmanager XFDISK)
2 GB FAT16 Primär DOS 6x Win3x
19 GB FAT32 Primär Win98se
19 GB NTFS Primär Win2K

HDD2:
2 GB Fat16 Primär (Dosdata)
38 GB FAT32 Logisch (Windata)

Greetings
Doc

Attachments

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2018-03-12, 21:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 67, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a mighty fine machine you got. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 67, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd also be very satisfied, Its a very nice, well thought out setup.
CPU may limit you with the later Win9x games but looks like this is more aimed at late dos from the Voodoo1, ISA SB16 and Gus?

Reply 3 of 67, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

I'd also be very satisfied, Its a very nice, well thought out setup.
CPU may limit you with the later Win9x games but looks like this is more aimed at late dos from the Voodoo1, ISA SB16 and Gus?

Don't forget, that he has those Catweasel's in the machine. I guess he thought about reading all kind of disks too.
Perhaps some C64 and Amiga emulation, going on there as well.
I can't see what versions they are, so I can't say anything about how many digital joysticks that are supported there.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 67, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool - I've yet to see one of those Siemens cases that doesn't look awesome. Is the fan "thing" over the expansion cards part of that, or is it a separate part (and if so, where can I get one? 😀).

Reply 7 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx! The machine is very silent to.

The main targets of the machine:

- Playing late Dosgames:
Sound:
Therefore the GUS and the CT4170. The CT4170 is by far the best card for old Demoscene-Stuff.
It plays mostly all demos that many other Soundblastercards will not play.
A CT1350b is slightly better for extremely old stuff, but the ct1350b is not so good for Win98se or Win2k.

Graphics:
I choose the Voodoo3 because it has Win3x-Drivers and a good compatibility with Vesa-Stuff.
There are some issues I can't fix by now, but I might fix them in the future.

CPU:
I know that a PII has some issues with old Dosgames/Demos, but there are manny Games/Demos that work fine with the machine.
Some stuff can be fixed with moslo (Crystaldream2) some with "cupcache". The K6-III+ with 2x66 FSB is a bit better then a PII for Dos.

-Playing early 3D-Stuff:(Win9x)
Sound:
The CT4170 has no hardware-buffer, but it is quite OK for most games I played.

Graphics:
The Voodoo3 is a very nice Card. 32Bit rendering is mostly nonsense for such a low end machine.
The 16bit rendering quality of the V3 is quite fine.
By choosing Win98se instead of Win95b there are a lot of Games and Demoscene-Stuff that runs fine.
I first experimented with a Voodoo3 and a K6-III+, but the P2-333 ist much better in almost every 3D-Game because of the really good FPU.

- Writing back old floppy images for the real machines I own:
The only thing that Win2k is for is the write-back option with the catweasel.
The Drivers for the cat weasel do work with Win98se, but I had a lot of problems getting them work with the other tools (imagetool).
So I decided to go for Win2k. Mostly I installed the Gamebase für C64/AMIGA/ST/ACORN so I have the old images directly on HDD and
write them back if I need them for the original hardware.

I'll release a full list (later), of what is installed on every OS.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2015-06-01, 23:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

Very cool - I've yet to see one of those Siemens cases that doesn't look awesome. Is the fan "thing" over the expansion cards part of that, or is it a separate part (and if so, where can I get one? 😀).

Originally there was a PII-300 with a FAN in this case. The FAN was loud and i changed it to a PII-333 with a BIG passive heatsink. If I play Dungeon-Keeper1 a lot that I get some cooling Problems therefore I decided to get a cooling, but not only for the CPU, because the Voodoo3 gets very hot I searched for something bigger. I found a VGA-Cooling set that can be totally flexible. Here is what I bought:

http://www.titan-cd.com/Y_product_C_vgacooler_e.php?id=891

Greetings
Doc

Attachments

• sc07_1.jpg
    Filename
    sc07_1.jpg
    File size
    26.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2015-06-01, 23:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Voodoo3 in combination with the PII-333/66FSB allow to get really smooth gfx in jazz2(win98se) when choosing 640x400/8bit an hardwaremode-on.
Then the scrolling is stutterfree and looks amazing!

The machine is optimized for stuff before 2000. The software-target is 1999 and earlier.
Nice thing of such an SNI is that you can turn it on and of by a keyboard-switch 😀

What I am currently doing:
- Getting some dos-emulators running (css64, uae, snes) But the machine is quite to slow for this...
- Make use of the Voodoo1. Currently only the Voodoo3 is used and installed. I plan to use the Voodoo1 only for old-dosglide-stuff. or buy a matrox m3d.
- further experimenting with "cpu-cache" and "moslo" to get some other old stuff working "ok" with this machine.

Greetings
Doc

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2015-06-01, 23:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 67, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:
Originally there was a PII-300 with a FAN in this case. The FAN was loud and i changed it to a PII-333 with a BIG passive heatsi […]
Show full quote

Originally there was a PII-300 with a FAN in this case. The FAN was loud and i changed it to a PII-333 with a BIG passive heatsink. If I play Dungeon-Keeper1 a lot that I get some cooling Problems therefore I decided to get a cooling, but not only for the CPU, because the Voodoo3 gets very hot I searched for something bigger. I found a VGA-Cooling set that can be totally flexible. Here is what I bought:

http://www.titan-cd.com/Y_product_C_vgacooler_e.php?id=891

Greetings
Doc

Wow - that's awesome looking. 😲 Thanks for the info! Will certainly have to keep one of these in mind in the future. 😀

Reply 13 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found some really interesting Chiptune-Stuff today 😀

First I found this really great PC-Port:
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=17647

and after that I found the Chiptune-Player and lots of great tunes!
Never thought that this could be played with the PC...way better then most of the tracker-things.(mod)

Attachments

• Filename
    Chiptune9x.zip
    File size
    597.72 KiB
    Downloads
    93 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2015-06-14, 22:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently I played WinZ (Bitmap Brothers), MK Trilogy (W9x) and Dune2k. Beside my 286/10/EGA, these two machines are my favorite ones for the PC.
I am planing to add a real 486 or P75 in order to get most Dos-Games working. For some titles the PII-333 is too fast.

Reply 15 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In order to get old dosgames working on that machine I use "cpucache" (that runs by far worse then with a SS7 Board). Better are "throttle" and "moslo".
Because of the CT4170 I do not need to slowdown much games, most of them work fine on that machine.

Games that need to be "slowed down":
- JazzJack Rabbit (1) => no good solution yet. If I slow it down, it stutters and is not smooth anymore
- HalloweenHarry => Runs good with "throttle 4"
- SpaceQuest4 => Does not work with "throttle", "moslo /50" solves the Problem with the "soundblaster detection" but no digisounds yet.

tbc.