VOGONS

Acer 286

Topic actions

First post, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

This is recently acquired Acer 915P 286-10. 1MB RAM. Four 16-bit ISA slots on riser card. This model only supports CGA/MONO output so added speedstar VGA 512k. I also have amber monochrome CRT which works but needs some repair. Would like to do dual monitor setup sometime. I may also add SB CT1600. Originally tried VGA Wonder Xl24 but was DOA. I will also try Trident 8800CS when arrives. Only issues are ugly keyboard and video freezing up at times i.e. Space Quest 2 when screen "shakes". I am creating a 1980s media room in what was previously a billiards room. More to come.

IMG_0037.JPG
Filename
IMG_0037.JPG
File size
3.41 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice project, post more pictures of this awesome retro room when it takes shape!

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2 of 8, by perkunas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very clean system, I like it.

I would also recommend trying a later Trident card like an 8900B/C if you're interested in keeping the system period-correct as far as the hardware goes, however an 8800CS looks like a fine choice too 😀

16k88lw.png

Reply 3 of 8, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will have more detailed pics soon. The mfg date on the rear is 12-14-89. The 8800CS also was '89 so that's close enough for me! I was also fortunate to find a NOS MPU-IPC-T (which is also '89). I will likely go the direction of a Roland D-50 rather than a module. There is an old computer shop near where I live that is a warehouse of vintage parts, I can likely find some stuff there to. I know he still has IBM PC Jr's still new in the box 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keyboard may be ugly but looks to be well built.
I bet if you do the "double shift test" that keyboard will pass quite well
http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/08/n-key-ro … and-how-to.html

Look forward to a whole retro room! Most of us stop at the PC

Reply 7 of 8, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The keyboard weighs almost 4 lbs. It's built well. This may be a good opportunity to try out the retrobright solution and see if it actually works. I could also get a new label printed for the Acer logo.

Reply 8 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice system. As with kin I have a soft spot for 286s a well.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉