VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played a demo of the Amiga version of Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf long ago, which offered many well done sound effects, including the speech of soldiers calling for help or dying.

I was planing to check out the DOS version, since I have Windows system now. But all the game play videos on YouTube seem to have inferior sound effects. Did the PC version just have poor sounds effects? or were better sound effects offered only in the CD release? the PC version supports Sound Blaster, so I can't see any reason for sound effects to be stripped out, unless they were trying to save disk space.

For comparison:
Video of Amiga game play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ppNSOIymY
Video of PC game play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2eYWZcHbcc

Reply 1 of 3, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm fairly certain that's how the pc version sounded when i played it. Still was an awesome game though, but seems amiga emulation would be the way to go then .

Reply 2 of 3, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well you can't compare Amiga whit PC games.

For example: I just was playing whit a thin client to install DOS on it and played some games I played a lot on the Amiga (or just say: still play on the Amiga), like Lemmings and Pinball Dreams/Illusion. So I installed those on the Dos machine and the graphics and sounds were disappointing bad compared to those of the Amiga.

If you don't own an Amiga (or more like me), try an emulator like "WinUAE" or "Follow" and play those games. If you need help, just ask 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf seems more like a poor PC port, as the Sound Blaster could have easily handled the digital sound effects of the Amiga version.

Older PC games are more of a case of hardware limitations, with only PC Speaker or Tandy sound been available at the time of release.