Topic actions

Reply 160 of 182, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

happy birthday jwt27!!!!! 😁

Artex, baby girl will be the best, you'll see 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 161 of 182, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

36 here. Married for almost 3 years & baby girl on the way in October!

Congrats!!

I'm 32 it's been a year since i posted on this thread and curiosly enough my baby boy is due on October too. Maybe my kid can date your daughter and we can talk about our hobby. 🤣 🤣

Reply 162 of 182, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

Congrats!!
I'm 32 it's been a year since i posted on this thread and curiosly enough my baby boy is due on October too. Maybe my kid can date your daughter and we can talk about our hobby. 🤣 🤣

Thanks! NO ONE is dating my daughter, even a wee Vogons'er. 😜

keropi wrote:

Artex, baby girl will be the best, you'll see 😉

Very excited to welcome our new addition. Nursery is almost done!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 164 of 182, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am 34, single with two daughters. Dodged a bullet getting out of a bad relationship, kept the clouds silver lining though! Probably buy one of those beautiful Russian Wives, when I get the money (and the spare time).

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 166 of 182, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought I'd start a similar topic, but decided to google first.

I'm 26, and I've been in a relationship for the last 7 years. We still don't live together, so she doesn't mind my hobby yet =) Besides, I've pretty much built my dream machine (except for maybe some rare sound cards or general midi modules), so I'll soon get rid of most of my extra parts. Definitely don't need 5 socket 7 motherboards or 20-30 video and audio cards.

The average age here seems really high, though 😀 I guess, this is why everyone is so polite and friendly, even though I've never really seen moderators ban anyone. I've been here for about 6 months, and people always tried to help me — even with the dumbest of problems! 🤣

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 167 of 182, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm turning 25 next April 4th, not looking forward to it either...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 168 of 182, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was an infant when man first walked on the moon. I guess that puts me on the older end of the spectrum out of those who've posted to this thread.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 169 of 182, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha, you guys are all older than I thought...

I'm 18, heading off to the aerospace engineering program at the University of Colorado.

Despite my youth I'm interested in all things old, the older the better... like old radios (Hallicrafters SX-42, baby! Still can't fix that stupid band switch... 😒 ), old typewriters (like these), old calculators, old stereo systems, old cameras (check this out), and old people (my grandpa is one of the greatest men I know), and, of course, old computers.

edit: clueless1, my mom was also an infant in the summer of '69 🤣 ...she calls herself a "moon baby".

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 170 of 182, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:
Ha, you guys are all older than I thought... […]
Show full quote

Ha, you guys are all older than I thought...

I'm 18, heading off to the aerospace engineering program at the University of Colorado.

Despite my youth I'm interested in all things old, the older the better... like old radios (Hallicrafters SX-42, baby! Still can't fix that stupid band switch... 😒 ), old typewriters (like these), old calculators, old stereo systems, old cameras (check this out), and old people (my grandpa is one of the greatest men I know), and, of course, old computers.

edit: clueless1, my mom was also an infant in the summer of '69 🤣 ...she calls herself a "moon baby".

Okay, son. 🤣.
Very impressive that we have a Vogoner going into aerospace engineering! Come visit once in awhile when you're off building space stations. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 171 of 182, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

34 here. I'm a software engineer, up until I was 30 I was almost completely dedicated to my work, but lately I've become pretty disappointed with the IT industry (all people seem to care about nowadays is social networks, stupid/useless mobile apps and hardware that cannot be disassembled 😒 ).

So I have started dedicating more time to tinkering with old hardware and games, in a desperate effort to recapture all the cool stuff of my teenage and university years! 😁

Command lines, low level programming, and embedded stuff is way more interesting to me than Javascript, CSS and all that mumbo jumbo, but unfortunately there are not many diverse job options here in Uruguay, so my interests end up being just a hobby.

Reply 172 of 182, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm 35, single, and hating it. I hate being a 35-year-old *cough*virgin*cough* But I don't know what to do about it.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 173 of 182, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

I'm 35, single, and hating it. I hate being a 35-year-old *cough*virgin*cough* But I don't know what to do about it.

Hookers are cheap these days.

Im 27, married and the wife complains that I have to many computers, you can never have enough.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 174 of 182, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or you know... go virtual waifu and stay "pure" longer? 😜 Because real human gfs can be such a hassle sometimes... 😵

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 175 of 182, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

turned 25 a few days ago , a bit young compared to some around here, but old enough to have used 386/486 machines, and as my main gaming machines since I didn't have a console until I was 11 or so.

I remember first using a Pentium 1 tower and NES and SNES consoles growing up. 😀
And i'm gonna be 24 on October 22nd.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 176 of 182, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey you got the same B-day as me! Except I was born in '90. 🤣

I only had an NES. Didn't get another console until the PS2 but I remember trying my cousins and friends game systems out like the Genesis when I was real young, the N64 (one of my friends had it) and the PS1 when my cousins father brought theirs over to show it off. Remember playing Twisted Metal and Spyro that X-mas at my grandmas 🤣.

You remember what brand your P1 machine was? We had a Packard Bell back in '95 or '96.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 177 of 182, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Hey you got the same B-day as me! Except I was born in '90. 🤣

I only had an NES. Didn't get another console until the PS2 but I remember trying my cousins and friends game systems out like the Genesis when I was real young, the N64 (one of my friends had it) and the PS1 when my cousins father brought theirs over to show it off. Remember playing Twisted Metal and Spyro that X-mas at my grandmas 🤣.

You remember what brand your P1 machine was? We had a Packard Bell back in '95 or '96.

Nice! I bet we're very similar in Zodiac due to our same birthday. 😊 Amazingly accurate stuff..

I used the old Nintendos till 2001 when I got my Gamecube for Xmas! 😁 That was a great console. I still have it too. I had a GBA SP the same time also. I got rid of my old Nintendos when I got my Gamecube and GBA SP but I started collecting the old stuff again back as early as 2007. I still have my PS1, a SNES, and Atari Jaguar. My second NES I found at a garage sale died years ago but I bought another at a thrift store but haven’t found a power supply for it yet, but I'd rather find myself one of the top loader models. They may be more reliable than the blinking red light prone originals.

My Pent. 1 was an AST Advantage unknown model but I have pictures of it on my file server if you want me to show ya.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 178 of 182, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha that's awesome. I was a dumb ass also and threw out all my old stuff back in 2008 which weirdly enough is the same year I bought my first real retro computer a pristine IBM PCjr complete in the boxes with the software. Paid ten bucks for it, the guy also had an IBM 5150 but I didn't know what it was and I didn't have a monitor so I passed even though he was offering it for free. Still kick myself for that one. 🤣 I didn't really get into fixing stuff though until 2013 when I was trying to find a computer that was old enough to use a 5.25" diskette drive so I could get games and other software on my PCjr. I walked into a PC repair shop and the owner said he had some in the basement and so we went down and whaddya know, a Packard Bell from 1996 right on the table in prisine condition, just like the one I had thrown out years earlier. 🤣

Here's me using our first Packard Bell:

packard_and_i_by_mad_king_corduroy-d85frw6.png

The one we had later when I threw out all our old computers was a designer tower like this (this is the new one I picked up in 2013):

s2180002_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9gdym0.jpg

Since I had only really ever used the NES I never really considered myself a console person since the PC beat the crap out of the old NES back when I was a kid and even to this day I prefer PC to consoles. 🤣
The blinking red light can be easily fixed by cleaning the pins and bending them out slightly so they grab the carts better btw, I fixed two NESes that way. Also I had a top loader when I was a kid, that was my families one, there was a slot loader at my grandmas that we played when we visited her. She only ever played Tetris or Othello though. 🤣 The top loader is super reliable, unless your an idiot like me and you accidentally grab the wrong voltage adapter and fry yours. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 179 of 182, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got super excited playing Curious George! 😊 Funny, my first name actually is George...

Attachments

• scan0001t.JPG
    Filename
    scan0001t.JPG
    File size
    140.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • scan0001p.JPG
    Filename
    scan0001p.JPG