VOGONS

First post, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Vogoners!

Im registered today after reading 60+ pages on Marvin the last week 😀 Briefly i can say i have had interest in computers since mid nineties and my first PC was a nonfunctional 386 i buyed on a fleamarket. Found missing parts and i had a PC i could write documents for my college studies that was non IT related then.
Building PCs became a hobby and going to fleamarkets in the weekends i ended up with all sorts of computerparts. Early signs of hoarding became when i filled my car with EGA, CGA, MGA monitors and 286, 386 PCs etc.
Started with gaming a year later and keeped on buying and upgrading components for many years. Building PCs for friends and family also became a routine and i keept parts after upgrades so my collection just grew..
I later moved and much of this stuff i just took with me, but dumped much and things got just stashed around in the house including the basement and became forgotten while filling up more over the years. When i started working in IT for over 15 years ago my hobby became work, so on my sparetime other interests took place.

Fast forward to now and i have started to do some major housecleaning and throwing old trash. A daunting task but it showed to be exciting as well! One little basement room was like this.

Basement_stuff1.jpg
Filename
Basement_stuff1.jpg
File size
179.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

After i got up some boxes i began the task to se if anything was worth keeping. A big mess with all sorts of cards, cables, adapters, harddrives, floppies, CDs, memory sticks, CPUs, etc just thrown together years ago. Well, memories came and i got struck by nostalgia! So many things i had forgotten i had...
Started to Google some stuff and found Vogons.org. Reading counless of posts inspired me to abandon my scrapping and rather organize all things first to just see what i had. Didnt expect that much of this already could be called as vintage and also be rare.

Socket 4 motherboard with a Pentium 60 was just one of other boards i found that many are seeking today. GUS and many other soundcards i also found. All types of scsi and io controllers from MFM to an IDE Tekram cache controller just kept popping up from the boxes.
30+ Videocards of all brands and types such as MGA, CGA, EGA, VGA from 8bit ISA to AGP. Tridents, ATIs, Voodoos, Matroxes, Tseng Labs, etc i have digged up and photographed, put (back) in antistatic bags and tagged them with info i found. I found specs for most cards, but one i found litte about..

Video_EGA_ISA16_Rasterex.jpg
Filename
Video_EGA_ISA16_Rasterex.jpg
File size
201.53 KiB
Views
File license

A fellow countryman from Rasterex, Oslo Norway. Its a EGA/CGA 16bit ISA card probably from 1987. It has chips as TMS34010FNL, TSX8926, Bt471KPJ66 and unknown amount of ram. I found some hints on searches, but not sure what this is a type of card. Probably som CAD related, but probably very rare?
Do anyone have more info about this little sucker? Good for Dos gaming?

Sorry for a long intro, but i felt i had to share this with you good folks 😊

Reply 2 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess its a TIGA card: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMS34010
So it's not good for DOS gaming, but you may get it running with Windows 3.x.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 6, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BastlerMike wrote:

To me it looks more like a TIGA card with integrated VGA.

Yes, but did VGA come with 9pin connector as this card have? Never seen that before.

elianda wrote:

I guess its a TIGA card: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMS34010
So it's not good for DOS gaming, but you may get it running with Windows 3.x..

I will try it when i have sorted out all things i have carried upstairs. Maybe its a beast, hehe 😎

alexanrs wrote:

That basement room of yours is like a pocket-sized piece of hoarder-heaven! xD

And that picture was taken after i had dragged a out lot of Things! Couldnt walk in there and its another room behind that room.
This is also a sort of evacuation because the floor beams have rotted away and collapsed of the weight of all sorts of thing i collected.
Would probably just be like that for a decade more if this had not happen 😵.

A bedroom upstairs now function as a recycling station there i sort out things just to get an oversight. Try to put everything in boxes and so recycle things i dont keep.
Here some goodies on the floor. I really had a crush for those Pioneer slot-in DVDs..

Boxstuff.jpg
Filename
Boxstuff.jpg
File size
266.42 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 6, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't recycle 5 1/4" floppy drives, these are getting rare, and those 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" bays are mighty useful for mounting floppy emulators on some cases. I'd gladly take those (and provably some other stuff) out of your hands if it weren't for that annoying Atlantic ocean in the middle.

Reply 6 of 6, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

I wouldn't recycle 5 1/4" floppy drives, these are getting rare, and those 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" bays are mighty useful for mounting floppy emulators on some cases. I'd gladly take those (and provably some other stuff) out of your hands if it weren't for that annoying Atlantic ocean in the middle.

Yeah that pond of water 😊
No worries, i will keep almost everything. Next phase will be testing the cards and after that decide what to do. I will probably not use all this myself and try get rid of many things after i build some retro rigs. Thinking about:
- AT 486 dx100 for Dos
- AT SS7 233mmx or better Win98SE or maybe Win95
- ATX Slot1 PIII 1Ghz Win98SE
- ATX P4 socket 478 system with WinXP