VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meanwhile, my area is full of old stuff but we're still using it. Probably will until it won't run anymore and is beyond repair.

Just last week I paid for some shopping by shoving my card in a reader which is connected to a heavily modified IBM 5160 with a green screen... Not that I'd want that pieceashit anyway, I'd actually offer to take it to the incinerator for them.

I think we still have some ATMs that are using OS/2 with green displays too. Though last time I used one was in 2008/9, had no reason to go back to that part of town yet.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 41 of 42, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see aprox 4 to 8 P3's a year in online trading places here.
One or two 486's a year on the same site's a year.
286/386's are nowhere to be found.

Thrift stores have nothing at all. Everything older than 5 years of age are recycled.

I collect what I feel is important, in order to preserve the technology of the past.
When stuff gets recycled that fast, we are facing problem's like how to read and rescue data.
We actually loose a part of our culture. And we loose a way of running old software.
In order to show how the primitive foundation for today's software were.

And we end up, reading about the hardware, not being able to experience it any more.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 42 of 42, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think we still have some ATMs that are using OS/2 with green displays too. Though last time I used one was in 2008/9, had no reason to go back to that part of town yet.

I'd kill to have one of those in the garage if not for the novelty. Until about six years ago the grocery store across town had this beast of an ancient IBM ATM machine in the front entrance. Real trip back to the late 80's. Oval IBM logo, four digit model number, green phosphor MDA screen (or running a Hercules mode to display crude graphics?) and it probably weighed a good two tons.
Real pity. Outside of IBM's notable computer products there's just about nothing documented about the other things they made. Just old memories and photographs, many of which you can't even find online.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif