VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

after my first attempt to build a 486DX4 which wasn't too successful because of defective hardware I've managed to get a whole computer which was declared as 486DX4-100 but in fact turned out to be a Am5x86-133.
It was rather cheap so I decided to buy the box without knowing the exact content.

When it arrived, SURPRISE - besides that the post didn't handle the packet with too much care and all Addon cards were popped out of their slots and the case was a little bit bent (allthough its quite thick material) it turned out to be quite decent and a little bit funny hardware:

- CAM 40-P9 Ver. 1.1 (OPTi 495) 386/486 motherboard (http://www.amoretro.de/2012/03/cam-40-p9-ver- … -local-bus.html, mine has a CPU socket below the 3rd VLB slot)
- Am5x86-P75 (133MHz) on a Voltage Regulator Board (I lolled when I saw that)
- 4x4MB SIMMs + 4x1MB SIMMs
- Sound Blaster 16 CT2230
- miro Crystal 8S VLB VGA card with 1MB upgradeable to 2MB
- Some MEGA Version D VLB I/O Controller
- Samsung SHD-3122A (250MB) primary drive
- WD Caviar 11200 (1282MB) secondary drive (BIOS correctly recognizes that drive!)

Quite a funny build as it seems that this board was meant for 386 and 486 (but only DX2) and with the VRM board that thing had been pushed to its limits with an AMD 5x86 and even a huge >1GB hard drive.

Because of the damage caused by the transport I first had to disassemble everything, bend the case to its original shape and then put everything back together. I even had to reseat the SIMMs as well as the CPU to make things work (didn't even beep until then). I was surprised that both hard drives survived that trip.
I also removed the thankfully just starting to leak battery.

The system achieves a Superscape score of 66,6 (or about 63 with Superscape 2) which isn't too bad for that system I think.
Speedsys attached, which is quite good as well, to my mind. 😀

However, there's still a 486/5x86 build to come, based on a Soyo SY-4SAW2 as soon as it arrives which should be a bit faster 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0647.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0647.JPG
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 5x86.png
    Filename
    5x86.png
    File size
    3.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Your memory speed is very low. Can you increase iti in the BIOS?

I've already selected the fasted timings, maybe it is because of the fact that the system contains only old 30 pin SIMMs?

Reply 5 of 8, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Your memory speed is very low. Can you increase iti in the BIOS?

I've already selected the fasted timings, maybe it is because of the fact that the system contains only old 30 pin SIMMs?

Maybe.

Here is my speedsys from my 486-120 on my 496/497 PCI board. The cache speed is close but the memory is much faster.
download/file.php?id=14313

Reply 6 of 8, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Maybe.

Here is my speedsys from my 486-120 on my 496/497 PCI board. The cache speed is close but the memory is much faster.
download/file.php?id=14313

That's indeed by far faster - but I honestly don't know what I could do to increase memory performance on my system (if it is even possible)...

Reply 7 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess it's just the OPTi chip set. Does not really matter much, does it? If you want to compare your system to what others build, welcome here: Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project Make sure to submit your result after benchmarking.

Reply 8 of 8, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

I guess it's just the OPTi chip set. Does not really matter much, does it? If you want to compare your system to what others build, welcome here: Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project Make sure to submit your result after benchmarking.

Thanks!

no it doesn't really matter, smeezekitty started that 😀 i was just wondering if i was doing something essential wrong...